A good hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an Estwing Fireside Friend splitting hatchet. I think it has a 4 lb head, it's pretty heavy. It works well but sometimes, I just want something lighter for splitting kindling. Anyone have a favorite? I saw a nice looking Stihl but I can't find it in the USA; it is a called a Stihl Universal Hatchet AX 6 P on the Stihl site. I also consider buying a nice wooden handle hatchet only because wood is nice but I worry about breaking the handle. I am not opposed to non-wood handles, that is mostly what I use. But I do understand some people having 'pride of ownership' from owning wooden handled tools. I do not know of a good choice in wooden handle hatchet either.

I like wood handles, and I like old tools. If I ever cut kindling, and I haven't in years, I would take a small straight grain wood like Pine, place the blade of the hatchet on the wood and lift the piece of wood up and tap the whole thing on the ground. Not actually swing the hatchet. My Dad would swing the hatchet like a Ginzu knife add. So, for me, I'd find a yard sale thrift shop hatchet that I liked the feel and weight that I liked. A lot of folks will go with one of the new really nice ones. What I do for kindling is cheat. I either cut a big pile of noodles, or run a dry piece of old Oak fence board thru my planer, Joe.

I use a Fiskars X25 - awesome. Have no desire for a hatchet for kindling making. Use the method described above - tool onto wood, then rise & drop all of it.

Look at the Husqvarna small splitting axe. It's hatchet sized and works really well for splitting small stuff. In my opinion Their one of the best values for the money. If money isn't a concern and you want a really high quality lite weight hatchet look at the gransfor bruks wildlife hatchet. There are many good ones out there but these are two of my favorites.

2 hawks (http://www.2hawks.net/) makes some quality stuff at a decent price point. It really depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

Those are really nice looking. My focus is not a self-defense tomahawk. Do you have any idea if these are practical for chopping kindling and which one? I know nothing about building a hatchet but even though it looks uber clean, I wonder if the head will stay on good and tight.

If you are just going to be busting up kindling, I would think more along the lines of the trappers hatchet either single or double bit. The double bit is really cool looking piece but I don’t know how practical it would be to use. You might also consider the voyager. I have always like the Hudson Bay design.

You can also check out Snow and Nealley split and kindling set. It comes with a small axe and a small maul. Apparently they are once again make in the USA as well.

(https://www.lehmans.com/product/snow-and-nealley-split-and-kindling-tool-set/wood-cutting-hauling)

I have a whole herd of hatchets around my place. i only use 3 for kindling and my current favorite is my newest one. its the old stand-by Estwing Sportsman 12" hatchet. it just fits the bill perfectly. short handle, easily controllable, razor sharp, and an overall perfect fit for how i do kindling. im usually sitting on a roller stool and splitting short (3-5") cut up wood. i use anything from old axe handles to rake handles or lumber yard reject and warped wood. sometimes if i get a few pine or cedar removals through the summer ill save some of that wood for kindling too

1ff6831f-ccca-4a67-9c47-59e797808267_400.jpg

Those are really nice looking. My focus is not a self-defense tomahawk. Do you have any idea if these are practical for chopping kindling and which one? I know nothing about building a hatchet but even though it looks uber clean, I wonder if the head will stay on good and tight.

Fark , I'd hate to be in a position where I had to use a tomahawk for self defence....... especially on Xmas day!

Here's what I don't understand...

First on this site, I learned I NEED a SS because my hydraulic splitter makes too much trash. Then I learned I have to buy a better hatchet to make kindling...

What is wrong with this picture??? lol

My wife picks up some splitter "trash" and throws it in with the firewood, then when the firewood goes down in the basement, there's "kindling" right along with it... NO NEED to "hatchet" anything...

SR

First on this site, I learned I NEED a SS because my hydraulic splitter makes too much trash. Then I learned I have to buy a better hatchet to make kindling...

My wife picks up some splitter "trash" and throws it in with the firewood, then when the firewood goes down in the basement, there's "kindling" right along with it... NO NEED to "hatchet" anything...

SR
That what I do, pick up some splitter "trash" and presto,... kindling :D But as far as hatchets go I have a S.A Wetterlings that I think is great, nice hickory handle and forged head

I have a whole herd of hatchets around my place. i only use 3 for kindling and my current favorite is my newest one. its the old stand-by Estwing Sportsman 12" hatchet. it just fits the bill perfectly. short handle, easily controllable, razor sharp, and an overall perfect fit for how i do kindling. im usually sitting on a roller stool and splitting short (3-5") cut up wood. i use anything from old axe handles to rake handles or lumber yard reject and warped wood. sometimes if i get a few pine or cedar removals through the summer ill save some of that wood for kindling too

1ff6831f-ccca-4a67-9c47-59e797808267_400.jpg
+1

SR
Damn it Rob, stop being so logical!!!! We'll never admit there's any merit to owning a hydraulic machine and thats that!!!

Back