A good trimming saw for $100?? Ryobi 10532 Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

The Ryobi repair shop called today and said the saw is toast, there's so much scoring inside that it needs a complete rebuild, which is around $250 in parts, then add labor, plus repair the original problem of the air/fuel leak.

Ryobi is supposed to send them the info on how to get a replacement saw (not sure how long that will take).

I'm glad I didn't start to take it apart myself, if I had I'm sure nothing would be covered.

First i have heard of that problem !!
good thing you didnt take it apart then..
thats what warranties are for.
i hope it all works out..

I talked with the shop again and they said the problem was that the upper air filter is missing and it had been run without it. I didn't even think about there being two air filters.

I did go back to the first pic's in this thread and could see the need for two, one feeds the carb and the other one is for the transfer port inlet.

It doesn't sound like they did much to "factory recondition" it, missing air filter, leaking fuel lines, air leak and a severely scored piston and cylinder.

Sounds like this saw was thrown in the wrong pile.

I'm not saying they're all like this, this one may just have slipped through, but......

Last edited:
Check out #s 11 & 12. I think there is only 1 air cleaner, split into two halves.
Sounds like you got a lemon. Check out craigslist, they are on there from time to time. originals too, with the case.

Last edited:
You're correct the pick only shows one, but it is two pieces, maybe he meant that half of it was missing.

If you can find a used, non-recon one for <$100 w/ case, check it out. They're out there & I'll bet you will like it.

I've seen them on CL at that price, but it was after I ordered this one. The problem is they may come with the same issues and no warranty. I'll take a one year warranty every time if I have the option, its a key feature this time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes I am new to mods...I replaced the fuel line with more flexible stuff and weighted the filter, though mine already had some weight built into it. The muffler is next, but I am a bit puzzled.

Thanks to Roncoinc for the above images earlier in this thread.

I measured the exhaust port on the head at about a 0.9"x0.6" ellipse, roughly. This means it has an area of 0.424 sq in. I keep seeing the rule of thumb on AS that the muffler opening should be about 70% of the exhaust port area so that means the exhaust port area should be about 0.3 sq in. Working that backwards, that seems to mean that the muffler port should be about 0.62" dia. The opening in there is right about half that size. There are 2 smaller holes in the baffle feeding the muffler exit port that are less than .25" dia (too inaccessible to measure), which means they are smaller than the existing exit port in total.

Drilling through the outer front shell and the baffle as shown would open this up a lot, but is that possibly bad being that the 2 holes are directly in line? You obviously need some backpressure, I guess. The baffle needs to be opened also, fer sure. Would it make sense to drill out a couple holes in the baffle from the opening on the engine side?

I guess this is a more general question than just this saw, but that's what I am starting with.

Thanks!

Dave

(BTW Roncoinc - is that a curly maple bench in the second photo? Looks nice!)

Small mount Husky, 3/8 low profile if you keep the original drum/spur.

Just tell Bailey's bar selector you've got a Husky 36, or Redmax GZ4000 (for some reason I don't see Redmax GZ400 listed there, which is what the Ryobi really is).

I've run mine with my Husky 16" bar. I was rather surprised that the 16" Husky was only about an ounce heavier than the 12" Carlton that I've got on it now.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=EP50+EP43+EJ50

I'm not sure this is correct. I picked up a 14" arbormax from Baileys #AMP 14 EJ50 (just came tonight) and the tensioner holes don't quite match up to the tensioner pin. The bar stud slot looks correct. I'm going to call Bailey's tomorrow to see if they know a better option or if I need to grind away a bit. I'm betting there is another bar that fits correctly.

Anyone have a definitive answer?? I entered it in the bar selector as Husky 36 and as Redmax GZ4000, both come up with the bar I got...

-Dave

I'm not sure this is correct. I picked up a 14" arbormax from Baileys #AMP 14 EJ50 (just came tonight) and the tensioner holes don't quite match up to the tensioner pin. The bar stud slot looks correct. I'm going to call Bailey's tomorrow to see if they know a better option or if I need to grind away a bit. I'm betting there is another bar that fits correctly.

Anyone have a definitive answer?? I entered it in the bar selector as Husky 36 and as Redmax GZ4000, both come up with the bar I got...

-Dave

Try it again. Make sure the tensioner pin is positioned far enough up in its travel. I bought the same bar, and when I first put it on with chain, I couldn't get it to line up, thought I'd bought the wrong bar. So I put the bar on a Poulan 2150 that donated the 16" that I'd been using on the Ryobi, and it fit but the sprocket was too worn to use with the new chain. Wait a minute . . . put the 14" back on the Ryobi and it fit fine. I felt pretty stupid, still don't know what I did. Not saying you did the same think, just that it can happen.

Jack

No dice. You can see in the pic where I marked is where the slot for the tensioner pin goes. You can see the black slot through the keyhole shaped hole in the bar (silver under it). The pin doesn't fit in the small part of the keyhole and the big part doesn't line up with where the pin sits. No amount of wiggling makes it go in.

Did Ryobi/Redmax change something?

Thanks,
Dave

attachment.php

I called Bailey's about it and they had no clue. Could find no reference to Ryobi or a Redmax GZ400 or anything like it.

Anyone got an idea here?? Bueller? Bueller?

-Dave

Dav, I posted this in your other thread but figured the info would be useful here as well.

It's an Oregon 041 mount.

So far there has been no progress in getting the info from Ryobi to have the saw replaced. I'll need to get with the shop and see if there's a # at Ryobi I can call to stir things up a little.

I called again today, the shop said they're waiting for the new engine assembly from Ryobi. I was only able to talk with the lady that answered the phone and she couldn't say whether it meant a new or reconditioned engine. I must say the people at this shop have been great to deal with.

I put a Woodland Pro chain on my Ryobi and it makes a huge difference.
So last night I drilled a couple of holes in the muffler. I drilled two 1/4" holes. Is it enough??

I suppose I need to adjust the carb now.
which needle is the the high adj. ?
I couldn't find it marked on the saw at all. It is probably something common sense would tell me, but I must not have any....

I bought the double d tool.
Thanks

I put a Woodland Pro chain on my Ryobi and it makes a huge difference.
So last night I drilled a couple of holes in the muffler. I drilled two 1/4" holes. Is it enough??

I suppose I need to adjust the carb now.
which needle is the the high adj. ?
I couldn't find it marked on the saw at all. It is probably something common sense would tell me, but I must not have any....

I bought the double d tool.
Thanks

Did you go back in this thread far enough to see the pix i put up on the muffler mod for these ? needs to be in the correct spot,you may want to look..
on all carbs the HI is closest to the choke and the LO is closest to the engine.
hope this helps.

I'm not sure this is correct. I picked up a 14" arbormax from Baileys #AMP 14 EJ50 (just came tonight) and the tensioner holes don't quite match up to the tensioner pin.

My 16" Husky fits fine. The 12" Carltons I bought fit fine, Bailey's had them listed as Echo bars, EP50 in Bailey's nomenclature, but I'm surprised if the Arbormax for Husky would have a problem.
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=ep50

Hey, is this your bar? It's listed for my Husky 36, and the Redmax pro version of the Ryobi:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=AMP+14+EJ50&catID=

My little Ryobi with 12" bar and Woodland Pro 3/8 lo pro, felled trimmed and bucked locust trees today. Trees at knee high were 12-15" across. That thing zipped through them. The right bar and chain really complement the saw.
2Door

I thought I would update this.

Still no saw, supposedly the service center is waiting for parts, but they have not been able to get any feed back from Ryobi on the reason for the delay.

I have contacted Ryobi by email on this and I'm waiting for a response.

I would have done this sooner, but I actually forgot about the saw until I found the claim check from the repair shop in my wallet.

So people don't have to go back and read stuff. I bought the saw online and couldn't get it to run, it did pop a few times and maybe ran for about 10 seconds while I was working the choke, but that was it. After that fuel was running down the handle and the primer button was sucking air. I only had the saw for about 2 days before taking to a Ryobi service center.

That was in the beginning of December.

Latest posts

Back