A good trimming saw for $100?? Ryobi 10532 Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which saw

Well I got the Ryobi a while back and put it to some wood. Man is that a saw. My buddy came over and tried them both and left with the Ryobi. I still like the Poulan, and use it a lot, but the Ryobi is a marginally better saw I think. Of course I have had the Poulan for a couple of years, and the Ryobi is brand new, and came with a real chain, not safety chain, and it cut like a demon on meth. JR

''My buddy came over and tried them both and left with the Ryobi.''

So now I take it that your in the market for a 7900

''My buddy came over and tried them both and left with the Ryobi.''

So now I take it that your in the market for a 7900

I already have a 6401 that I bought with the thought of upgrading it to the 7900, but the thing cuts like crazy just the way it is. My current state of mind is to just run it until something bad happens and then either go with the BB kit or 7900. It is so reliable and strong that I might have it a long time before it gets touched, if ever. JR

''I already have a 6401''

So, the CAD bug has bitten you. Ha Ha Ha! I'm in the same boat with extra saws. I have a 7900 that only gets used if I find something over 20'' and there is allot of it. Or maybe if I'm falling something that might be a little hairy and I want to make a super fast cut.

Allot of the scroungable wood in these parts is in the twelve inch range. Anything like that and I've been using the Ryobi. I now have an 18'', 14'' and 12'' bar for mine.

My 2065 J-Red and my 264 Oly are my go too saws, and my 2150 J-Red has been sitting allot since I got the Ryobi.

I'm going to keep an eye out for the Red-Max GZ or even that Craftsman Pro 42cc if I can get one on sale and parlay my Craftsman tool card for more of a discount, or one comes up on the scratch and dent table that has been returned.

I've got what I guess is the Sears version of the saw, with exception the chain adjuster it looks identical, although it has made in Japan on it. The model is 358.362180. Ya'll are right on about them needing the muffler opened, mine acts like it has a muzzle on it.
Nope, 358 prefix is Poulan.

Ryobi 10532 Porting?

I've got one of these little Ryobis here that several of you have mentioned for about $100. Immediately upon removing it from the box, it was obvious it was a Redmax. It looks nearly identical to my 3800, LINK. I believe this is a copy the Redmax GZ400, LINK. The only apparent difference between it and the 3800 is that it's stratofied.

Bone stock, it runs better than the 3800. The 3800 has to be muffler modded or is the most gutless saw I've ever run. Once opened up, they are very respectable and have been my favorite little saw.

Externally, these saws are very "plasticy". The fuel and oil caps are small and easy to miss or overfill. Underneath the covers though is a different story. These little saws are way better built than most of their competition. They have a vertically split magnesium case and a bolted on cylinder. The rod is beam shaped and has a caged needle bearing. The two bar studs are mounted in the metal crankcase, not in the plastic around it.

I've got this one torn down to see if I can get a little more grunt out of it. The ports are tiny and won't be easy to work in, but we'll see what happens.

I just thought you guys might like seeing what can be had for about $100, and is better built than most of the competition.

549626802_TqbUj-M.jpg

549626724_UDGoh-M.jpg

Fresh air is taken directly into the extra transfers above the intake port.
549626787_E4LJB-M.jpg

Back side of the intake block.
549627121_Ej2B9-M.jpg

549627061_2GxR8-M.jpg

549627286_3SoPb-M.jpg

549627295_vWXAL-M.jpg

These are the two extra transfers fed by the extra air intake ducts.
549627304_6NEoK-M.jpg

Pulled the jug and the above pics(courtesy of blsnelling,thanks Brad)show pretty much what you find.The configuration of intake ports on the cylinder somewhat depicts the expression I had on my face.lol.
The fuel intake port goes from oval to triangular and I'm guessing there is a good reason for that.The walls on the exhaust port to my best measurements are about .08" thick not counting a thin cast rim running all the way around at the surface of the cylinder wall.
I just don't see much room for fiddling here and was wondering if anyone else has done any modifications?Hey Brad,I guess that question is meant for you. Thanks,Ron

The verdict is in. Do not fear 2010! This baby rips and smokes my 3800. Stratofied or not, the power is there. It's 15% faster than my 3800, which is faster than a MS200T. Beat that for $110 if you can!

You'll notice in the video that the Ryobi has a rev limited ignition. Tuning is more difficult since it must be done in the wood with a load. I pulled the plug after the last heavy load cut and it looked great.

The Ryobi simply has more power. It pulls more RPMs at every load point. It has better throttle response, more RPMs in the cut, and should be better on fuel.

I completely felt my way around the porting of this saw with it being stratofied. Something worked! I'm tickled pink:)

I probably ought to order one of these before I post this video, LOL:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMTkVxWyZUo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMTkVxWyZUo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here are the results of the modding. The 3800 is first, and then the Ryobi.

I ported that same saw and posted the results earlier in this thread. It'll stomp a MS200:)

Brad.I was wondering if you might care to share any specifics as to the porting you did on this saw as its different than anything I've seen before. If this was in the previous thread I may have overlooked it.Thanks,Ron

I don't think it compares to a MS200.

Put them both in a commercial setting and run them for 2000+ hours, then see which one comes out ahead.

What about it makes you think that it won't hold up? I don't have one, but the pictures look like it's fairly well made. Just curious.

My experience with the 200 is that it won't last 2000 hrs at all. In fairness some of that is due to it being run by crews that don't pay for the saws. lol

Mr. HE:cool:

What about it makes you think that it won't hold up? I don't have one, but the pictures look like it's fairly well made. Just curious.

My experience with the 200 is that it won't last 2000 hrs at all. In fairness some of that is due to it being run by crews that don't pay for the saws. lol

Mr. HE:cool:

Just my suspicion, it is what it is. Cheaper made saw.

Back