A load of logs. Prices up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroLife

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
11 cord load of red oak logs for $1350 30 miles north of the Twin Cities. Any Minnesota boys hear of a cheaper rate? Cruised Craigslist, no dice. Thanks!

Dang.

The first load last year was red/white oak and I think it cost around $1000 plus a little flip extra for the driver.

But I am quite a ways north of you.

High demand and low supply might be the reason for the price you are seeing.

The last load my log guy brought he said there was bubkas for hardwood left in the log yard. I guess a lot of people learned their lesson from last years winter.

After last winter the price went up. I priced a load of red oak last winter $1200 for 10 cord load 100" logs. The price has not come down yet. The year before 10 cord was $800

LogTruck2008005.jpg

Down here in the south metro, my two quotes were $500 or $600 for 5-6 cords delivered. But that was for mixed hard wood, oak, hard maple, hackberry, elm and ash. I haven't bought wood yet, if it was 5-6 cords of oak, I guess that would make the decision easier. But elm and hackberry doesn't seem like a deal to me.

I'm a little further south. Just the way things are. Glad I don't have to buy processed wood. Some are charging as much as $470 a cord! :eek:

You would think with the price of fuel dropping so much that wood would come down in price. I think it will but it may take a little time. Kind of like having to sell off the gas in the pipeline at the rate in which it was purchased.

I don't see products that have a high cost of transportation built in dropping much. Oil is expected to be around $75 a barrel by year end and back to 100 within two years.

I did buy a 10 cord load of yellow birch and black ash last winter for $65 per cord, not oak but still burns nice.

You guys are absolutely killing me with these prices and wood quality. I recently paid $150 a cord for mostly red maple and cherry logs. And that was after waiting 6 months to get someone to even agree to bring me logs. Most of the time either the supplier down right ignored my call or told me I was 40th on their list and then never called me back.

Prices that the mills are paying must be ridiculously high.

I'm a little further south. Just the way things are. Glad I don't have to buy processed wood. Some are charging as much as $470 a cord! :eek:

I recall these types of prices (maybe not quite that high, but north of 350) not all that long ago. The oil prices seem to be helping. Last year my friend's ex was paying 175 for a pallet of wood in the dead of winter.

We sell log length for 1400 a load, about 9-10 cords.

That one pic of the straight truck, is that really 10-11 cords? Your talking around 85,000-90,000 lbs truck and trailer.
We have a truck similar, only twin screw, it hold around 5 cords.

You would think with the price of fuel dropping so much that wood would come down in price. I think it will but it may take a little time. Kind of like having to sell off the gas in the pipeline at the rate in which it was purchased.

Where? It's gone down about 0.45 for us. From 3.65 in November to 3.19 I paid yesterday.

In central MO, prices are $1.70/gal. average right now. Edit: Those are gas prices. Diesel is still around $2.80.

Back