A load of logs. Prices up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a want ad on CL for logs pretty much year round. Always something popping up from it good or bad. I hooked up recently with a couple of younger guys south of Mille Lacs and they have been hauling in logs at $100 delivered. Not a bad price.
$100 for how many cord? Mixed hardwood?

March of 2014 I bought ~12 cord of mixed "hard wood" for $1060. After cuting this years firewood from it I will not be going back with the same guy unless it has more actual hard wood in it because there was way too much soft/red maple in it. So between now and spring I will be looking for another 6 cord of quality hard wood. I found a person with a pile of dry locust logs that wants $90/cord but then I have to pay for delivery which would be another $30/cord. Despite that, Im actually condiering it which is unfortunate because I burn wood because Im cheap and if home heating oil keeps getting lower I might be burning that next winter...

We sell log length for 1400 a load, about 9-10 cords.

That one pic of the straight truck, is that really 10-11 cords? Your talking around 85,000-90,000 lbs truck and trailer.
We have a truck similar, only twin screw, it hold around 5 cords.

yes i measured the truck holds 10 cord 100" logs.

I would not want to be the guy running that truck!
I haul 6 cords on my 55,000lb rated truck and it pulls pretty hard. It's close to the max weight, truck empty is 23,500, the wood is about 28,000lbs. It's got a 14L Cummins motor in it too.

The log truck we run (it's Carls) is a Ford 8000 and it's got a load up pup trailer and self loader. Also have a short log truck, it is a straight truck and handles ~20ft logs. I believe it can haul about 5 cords or so.
Measuring wood in tree length is a bit tough as it never stacks the same unless the wood is very straight, which birch is almost never.

I was mostly just wondering as I have several competetors that run around saying their truck can haul x amount of wood when it's not possible in any way, like 4 cords in an F350.

Thats a great deal! Yellow birch has same BTU rating as red oak anyhow.

Love me some yellow birch

Around here it's $100 per cord mixed, plus or minus.

The mix is red maple, white birch, ash, and the occasional hard maple. At least that's what I usually see when helping friends or just observing. Don't know what species specific cords are, I don't buy wood

The pulp mills here in WI are paying 150 per cord. Due to last winter and what the mills are paying there is a huge shortage of firewood. I'm charging 110-120 per cord depending on distance. Thats 100" wood, 10 cords. I've heard of guys charging 140 per cord for oak and getting it. Off road diesel is 1.84 here. 87 gas is 1.97.

I finally found a supplier in my area to get logs from, he's only 13 miles from our shop. He's charging $125 a cord. Mostly ash and oak. I went and got 2 loads from him today with my 20' shed trailer. We figured I got a little over 4 cords in the 2 trips. Once I got it all stacked I think we were pretty close. Pile is 12' long, average about 5' high, logs vary from 8' to 14 '. He has a pretty steady supply so hopefully it will work out. Found him on craigslist of all places.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 90
I finally found a supplier in my area to get logs from, he's only 13 miles from our shop. He's charging $125 a cord. Mostly ash and oak. I went and got 2 loads from him today with my 20' shed trailer. We figured I got a little over 4 cords in the 2 trips. Once I got it all stacked I think we were pretty close. Pile is 12' long, average about 5' high, logs vary from 8' to 14 '. He has a pretty steady supply so hopefully it will work out. Found him on craigslist of all places.

Good score...gotta keep a line in the water if you're ever gonna get a bite :)

Hey MNGuns - not sure if those guys are looking for additional buyers but if they are and you're willing please PM me their contact info. I'm between Elk River and Zimmerman and looking to get a load delivered. Found a guy who will truck down from way up north for $120 a cord which is the best I've located so far.

Thanks,

Tylor

$125 a cord and not delivered!? Wow, makes me feel better about the Locust logs I found that would cost $120/cord delivered. Still might stay with mixed logs at $90/cord delivered.

If any of you MN guys really need wood badly drop me a PM. I've got 4 cords of aspen in 8' lengths at my house that you can have. It isn't primo wood but better than letting the OWB freeze up.

Svk. I'm burnng poplar right now that I cut in early summer. I cut it into 24" lengths and split it really small then off my conveyor into a pile. I just put it onto skids to get it to the owb last week and it's burning nice. The splits are really light and I'm surprised how dry they seem to be. It's junk wood to me but still giving me heat so into the owb it goes. I can get as much as I want and it's closeby but the same bush is also full of ash.

Cantoo I burn lots of it as well. The rounds just smaller than the stove door actually last pretty long. Otherwise works well in the fireplace and sauna too. I've just got too much of it right now. I still have about 18 cords worth standing in my wood lot that are all dying. Unlike other species once they are fully dead they are also mostly rotten.

Latest posts

Back