A MS440 ported from the factory???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has Stihl ever been known to do this and let it get into the hands of the public?

Here's why I ask. A new AS member sent me a nearly new MS440. At first I didn't think it had been used at all, but did find a little dust in the carb housing. The first thing I noticed is that it had a HD 5 carb with no provisions for limiter caps. Then I checked squish and it was onhly .018"-.20". I procede to degree the cylinder and find that there's nothing to improve. So I pull the cylinder off. This saw has already been ported!!! Not only that, it's the most meticulous work I have ever seen. Both the intake and exhaust are polished to a shine. They've both been widened. The transfers have been raised. The lowers have been blended. Everything's done to perfection. Even the piston windows have been worked and everything inside the piston smoothed. I also noticed that the intake port timing was adjusted by shortening the intake skirt. The work is fabulous.

So how did they lower the squish? The cylinder base does not look to have been turned and it's an OEM gasket. I think the case has been decked!

I went as far as to pull the flywheel to see if ignition timing had been played with. It had not.

I fired the saw up, warmed it up, and it was turning 15,500. And that's on Sunoco GTX. If anything, it would run leaner on pump gas. It was not too lean at 15,500, actually about where I would tune it for cookie cutting. I have it quite fat now at 14,700. These RPMs are not unusually for a ported 440, but are very good none the less.

Interestingly, I found the saw to have a 8-pin rim, not standard, and has no dogs. I don't know if the owner took them off for shipping or not. He may have.

So I called the owner. I asked him where he got this saw and if it was a integrity test for the Snellerizer, lol. He said he bought it off eBay a few years ago and was saving it since he has another one he works with. He has a lot of work saws and was saving this one. I'm shipping the saw back tomorrow. He said to keep the check and would send me his MS880 to do. OK, that'll work:)

So what do you think? Is this something from Stihl? Was this somebodies GTG toy that they built for themselves and pored all the extra time into to make it pretty inside? No rookie did this port work though, I can guarantee you of that. There's nothing "fancy" about was they did, but it is meticulous. Then they sold it on eBay with a stock muffler thinking it would sell better as a stock saw?

Did you get pics?

Waylan

I got a lot of them. But I'm not sure that I should post them until I try to find out a little more about the saw. If it's another builders work that doesn't want his work shown, I want to respect that. I would love to know who did this saw and where it came from. I'm so curious it's killing me, lol.

It's definitely not work that Stihl did or likely anything a dealer did. Most dealers follow the strict guidelines from Stihl on not their modifying machines.

It's most likely something a third party did, but for whatever reason passed it along. Maybe the original owner passed away?

Thanks JJ. Well the guy got a screaming deal on a sweet saw. He didn't say what he paid for it, but said it wasn't a lot, certainly not what it's worth with a nice port job. I'm going to check into running the serial number to see if it was ever registered.

It's definitely not work that Stihl did or likely anything a dealer did. Most dealers follow the strict guidelines from Stihl on not their modifying machines.

It's most likely something a third party did, but for whatever reason passed it along. Maybe the original owner passed away?

+1,,,,,

Thanks JJ. Well the guy got a screaming deal on a sweet saw. He didn't say what he paid for it, but said it wasn't a lot, certainly not what it's worth with a nice port job. I'm going to check into running the serial number to see if it was ever registered.

Let us know what you find out,,,, very intriguing!!!!

as for the squish #'s with some effort even machining marks can be polished from a cylinder base,,, I'm surprised you didnt put the micrometeronthe cylinder base and see if it was stock or not ,,,, Hmmmm?????

Last edited:
Interestingly, the saw was registered to an Adam. I did a reverse search on the address and got a Gary of the same last name. Adams address is different but on the same street. I may just have to make a phone call or two tomorrow:) Curiousty is killing me, lol.

I told you it was a beauty.

1197796403_cqTwd-M.jpg

1197796470_EJAhe-M.jpg

1197796544_XYmVA-M.jpg

1197796316_8rcaH-M.jpg

Brad, one thing you mentioned has me wondering, what would the implications be for decking the crankcase as opposed to milling the cylinder base? i can't see where it would be any different, but i may be overlooking something.

Stihl factory lumberjack competition saw for the stock class? I think the rules say it has to look stock or something along those lines and it not having dawgs makes me think it was made just for cutting cookies. Probably used for one season and then sold by the guy who ran it.
I would definately call and see if hes talking

Brad, one thing you mentioned has me wondering, what would the implications be for decking the crankcase as opposed to milling the cylinder base? i can't see where it would be any different, but i may be overlooking something.

I can't see any differnce in the final result. It would be a ton more work to do though, requiring splitting the cases and removing the crank.

Back