A new Madill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're right... so long as they're talking about skidding on south Puget Sound glacial outwash soils made entirely of cobbles the size of golf balls, where it's too flat to get any lift with a yarder, and soil compaction is impossible. 'Course, the only place where logging like that is done is right where I work. Twenty miles in any direction and you're back in hill country where a yarder is the most sensible tool.

Shhhhhhh. Don't confuse them. If one of the 'ologists read your post, it would be edited and used to prove their point for all types of ground.

Like when I was told by one, that if subsoiling pops the roots of leave trees, that it was my fault for allowing skid trails to be too close to leave trees. We're talking SW Warshington, with tree spacings of 13 to 28 feet AFTER cutting. OOOps, soapbox needs taking away again......my bad.

Pretty sure I'll still be able to "yes, but" my way out of that argument.

Um, the other person needs to be listening for you to do so. The attempt to explain the difference between a loader and a feller buncher to one planner is continuing in my absence. That would make several years of trying to do so. Still no success. I even showed him pictures!

Maybe they have a federal judge who has ordered them NOT to use any ground based system. That happened here. The hooktender learned to rig intermediate supports.

Judges are lousy at prescribing logging systems.

Thankfully thats not the case. Thankfully logging only requires a relatively straightforward resource consent (usually) and we don't have problems with judges etc interfering just because some greenie wants to save a tree in the middle of a forest.

Intermediate supports aren't really used in NZ but I can see how they would be useful. Do you have to hang them between 2 spars or just off one spar?

Almost always an intermediate support is hung on one tree. You can use two but it is a rare occurence where it is needed. I think I only ever used two trees once.

Humptulips- That is shovel ground all day long! First thing I thought when I saw them getting rigged up. The landings in NZ are HUGE! One of our Engineer's from down there was up for a tour a few weeks back. I showed him some tower ground in the John's River area, and he laughed at our small landings and called them truck turnarounds. He designs all his landings right at about 150'x200'. The environmental regulations we have, that they don't cause these different landings sizes.

All in all it sounds pretty nice in NZ, no RMZs to worry about, go ahead and clearcut thousands of acres, sidecast as much material as you want when you build a road, and have a huge landing. They also have it easy when it comes to culvert sizing and design as they don't have anadramous fish like the PNW. Of course, they don't have old growth stumps to hold yarders up, no tin hats or bucked off riggin pants....and a lot of them wear shorts in the brush with their high vis gear!

That sums it up pretty good LoggingEngineer.
A study done last year found the average landong size had doubled in the past 20 years to 3900m[SUP]2[/SUP]. The amount of log grades cut has a lot to do with it, sometimes there can be 16-18 grades/lengths on the cutplan.

And its too hot to wear trousers to work in the summer

Humptulips- That is shovel ground all day long! First thing I thought when I saw them getting rigged up. The landings in NZ are HUGE! One of our Engineer's from down there was up for a tour a few weeks back. I showed him some tower ground in the John's River area, and he laughed at our small landings and called them truck turnarounds. He designs all his landings right at about 150'x200'. The environmental regulations we have, that they don't cause these different landings sizes.

All in all it sounds pretty nice in NZ, no RMZs to worry about, go ahead and clearcut thousands of acres, sidecast as much material as you want when you build a road, and have a huge landing. They also have it easy when it comes to culvert sizing and design as they don't have anadramous fish like the PNW. Of course, they don't have old growth stumps to hold yarders up, no tin hats or bucked off riggin pants....and a lot of them wear shorts in the brush with their high vis gear!

Many is the times I would have loved to have a landing big enough to turn a truck around on.:msp_biggrin: Sometimes lucky to have enough room to walk around the front of the yarder without going over the bank.
How could you wear shorts in the brush?:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

When they gonna let ya go to NZ Kyle? They need to reciprocate! Although if you went you might not come back... big landings, no RMZs, giant cuts, and pig Red Stags... yea that could get addicting haha although I don't see you wearing short shorts in the brush... :hmm3grin2orange:

I find this pretty interesting. Nice posts and all with a couple awesome vids. Strange, Huffman & Wright just sold a TSY 6355 to an outfit in NZ a couple months back. I think they spent a week using a heated pressure washer in the damned thing. Then it was sent up I-5 to Eugene to be taken apart cleaned to yalls specs to be shipped.

I find this pretty interesting. Nice posts and all with a couple awesome vids. Strange, Huffman & Wright just sold a TSY 6355 to an outfit in NZ a couple months back. I think they spent a week using a heated pressure washer in the damned thing. Then it was sent up I-5 to Eugene to be taken apart cleaned to yalls specs to be shipped.

Sounds about right, there's gonna be a shortage of yarders here in the next ten years or so. I guess that means there will be a bunch of second hand machines bought from the PNW and refurbished

Pretty much. There's demand for cable crews as it is, but over the next decade or so not only will the annual cut increase but a greater proportion will be coming from steep ground

We sold a TMY-45 to an outfit in NZ also when I was with the company. I helped Dan and Steve take the cab off.

So what your saying Mr. Kiwi is that in a few years yall are going to be hiring in the rigging. Man o man that would be a good gig.

There's always someone hiring somewhere. I had a quick look on Trademe just before and theres a few breaking out, falling, loader driving and skiddy jobs going

Latest posts

Back