a note on shop safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to bark at my wife a couple of weeks ago for coming up beside me to grab the limbs I had just cut. She was trying to help, but......

I'm more of a computer nerd than a chain saw guy... Ever had a nekid woman appear between your keyboard and screen??? I have!!!
Makes you forget what was so important on the puter.

happen to me all the time.. damn pop-ups... what were we taking about??:laugh:

Oh.. you mean a REAL WOMAN... Damn... sorry...

Yeah, you would have thought the time I rolled a round off my loader bucket and broke her toe, she would have learned, but no, she still wants to help. I don't know what to do with her. Steel toes, maybe.

Tom, I see you got a new avatar. Is it a "spring" thing.

Good thread RB.

I know there have been times we have gotten "second" chances with our kids.

A while back, I stopped my wife in the drive and was going to have her back up her van and move over a little. (lets me get my truck and work van in the drive if she pulls over far enough.) The kids were out playing. Our youngest (1 1/2 at the time) walked behind her van and neither of us saw him. She had the van in reverse and was getting ready to back up when I saw his head poke around from behind the van. I almost had a heart attack.

I feel like we have gotten a second chance to raise our son. If I think about it too much it still keeps me awake at night. Needless to say, we are a lot more careful.

I was helping a neighbor clean up after an ice storm, whipping along cutting smallish stuff apart at ground level with the tip of my bar. I chewed right through a 3" pole, not realizing it was a springer! I'll never forget the sound of that 4' stump swinging up to vertical so fast it was nearly invisible. WHOOSH! If It had hit me I'd have been out, or dead. I won't even talk about the possibility that I could have been straddliing it!!! Of course it could have thrown the saw 50 yards or driven it into my stomach. Makes me nervous to think about the whole thing, which I often do!

LOOK at both ends of what you are cutting! This was a healthy young tree, maybe a gum, maple, or oak. It took the 90 degree bend at the ground with no problem!

Way back before I was even in kindergarden I was watching my dad work on an old Allis Chalmers bulldozer. He was using a sledge hammer to drive a pin out & a chip of metal flew off & embedded itself in the bridge of my nose. That piece is still there, no MRI's for me. I'm damn lucky it didn't hit me in the eye.

A long time ago my wife thought it was a good idea to yell at me to get my attention from what I was doing on the table saw. Had to squash that bug REAL hard. Now she waits patiently until I look up.:)

My 2 1/2 year old daughter worries me the most. She is VERY active and like to touch everything. I try to make a habit of switching off the breakers to my stationary tools when I'm not using them. I'd rather chop my own hand off than to see as much as a scratch on her.

i ve got to put everything up in my shop my little boy gets into everything. i would have been scared out of my mind too if i was running a saw and looked up and didn't see him. it's scary stuff when kids are in the work shop but im going to be alot more safety minded after reading this thread.

Yeah, you would have thought the time I rolled a round off my loader bucket and broke her toe, she would have learned, but no, she still wants to help. I don't know what to do with her. Steel toes, maybe.

Get her a decent saw and full PPE - then she may stay away from the wood you have cut......

...but evey now and then I turn around a see a friends kids sitting in a puddle of oil playing with a chisel, or worse..

Of all the sharp tools, power and otherwise, that I have in my woodshop, it's the chisels that always seem to get me. They're scalpel sharp, and you're holding them in your non-dominant hand while banging on 'em with a mallet. I've got wooden stairs leading out of the basement shop, and I pretty much leave the blood stains on those stairs as a warning to myself. In my experience, nothing bleeds like a finger.

Fortunately they're so sharp they don't leave much in terms of a scar...

Great thread. Here's a shop safety tip that I learned the hard way:

Always have proper lighting in the shop, so that you can see the blade spinning on your chopsaw when you have the guard raised to cut acrylic tubing........and can't hear the blade still spinning to a stop after releasing the trigger b/c you have earplugs and earmuff protectors on. The scar is a couple years old; it was a bleeder for sure!!! carb is off my 394 after a rebuild.

Is the scar on the back of your index finger? I have an identical scar on my right index finger from my machine shop days. Can't remember exactly what happened but I got $200 from AFLAC for it.

Is the scar on the back of your index finger? I have an identical scar on my right index finger from my machine shop days. Can't remember exactly what happened but I got $200 from AFLAC for it.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

That's the one. Didn't even really hurt that much. Hard to tell, but its a little over 1" long, and was a good 1/4" wide when it happened-hit the finger at an angle to the blade as I was raising my hand.
I didn't want to make a claim at the time......little too embarrassed.

Back