A poor day at the auction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info

haha, well there is another large consignment auction near Kutztown in a month or two. I usually just check auctionzip.com every now and then for upcoming auctions.

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at what my schedule is and if i can make it I'll let you know and maybe we can talk saws.

When I was still in VA I hit a lot of auctions in PA, one of the best for me used to be Beilers. Before I had CAD I bought some there (and trailer loads of other junque). I subscribed to the Lancaster Farming paper for years which has extensive auction listings. Made some good saw deals in PA over the years.

I went to a small engine auction the other day and bought 7 binders full of NLA stihl manuals for 200 bucks. It includes the 090/090g manuals and a contra manual. I got a kick out of it when people started saying i got screwed on the manuals becouse i coul of bought them.on ebay for cheaper. I lauged in their face, i could sell one of the binders and MAKE money.
Some pay way too much and some dont know what it even is or worth. THATS when you get deals.
Sent from me to you using my fingers

The clutch cover is likely from an echo. Deere/Echo saws usually have a black cover. Look up under the cover below the sprocket and there's a plate with the model number.

That is what I thought. What has me confused is, acres has no listing of a 70 v for echo. I'm away for work until Wed. night. When I get home I'll clean it up some, and take a peak under the clutch cover.

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at what my schedule is and if i can make it I'll let you know and maybe we can talk saws.

That would be great, I always enjoy a good conversation about saws.

When I was still in VA I hit a lot of auctions in PA, one of the best for me used to be Beilers. Before I had CAD I bought some there (and trailer loads of other junque). I subscribed to the Lancaster Farming paper for years which has extensive auction listings. Made some good saw deals in PA over the years.

I had to stop looking at the Lancaster Farmer, I was aquiring too much stuff (junk in some peoples eyes). Up my way we also have one called The Paper Shop. Also very addictive.

I went to a small engine auction the other day and bought 7 binders full of NLA stihl manuals for 200 bucks. It includes the 090/090g manuals and a contra manual. I got a kick out of it when people started saying i got screwed on the manuals becouse i coul of bought them.on ebay for cheaper. I lauged in their face, i could sell one of the binders and MAKE money.
Some pay way too much and some dont know what it even is or worth. THATS when you get deals.
Sent from me to you using my fingers

That is why I stay away from buying the newer big name saws. They never go for cheap, and I don't have enough knowledge about their worth. If it is old, magnesium, and going for a decent price I'll take it home. And in this case, $5 for a saw I never saw before was a no brainer for me.

It is actually a 702 not a 750. An 80v is a 750. The 702 is 70.7 cc so still a good sized saw.

Clutch cover is probably original

Most of the echo/deere saws had black clutch covers as DSS stated but they were often just repainted echo covers that had orange paint underneath. That would fit well with your pictures. A mostly black cover, scratches where the echo orange is showing through and the proper Deere 70V label. Yours is not the first one I've seen like that. Positive ID should be on a riveted tag underneath the clutch.

Most of the echo/deere saws had black clutch covers as DSS stated but they were often just repainted echo covers that had orange paint underneath. That would fit well with your pictures. A mostly black cover, scratches where the echo orange is showing through and the proper Deere 70V label. Yours is not the first one I've seen like that. Positive ID should be on a riveted tag underneath the clutch.

Awesome! Thanks for all of the help guys. This is why I love this site! I can live with a black cover to keep it original. The red just didn't go.

It is a 702 echo. Clutch cover is original, the piston and cylinder are the same in the 701, 702 and 70v, same part #'s. I have a 70v that was burnt up and a echo 701 is donating its parts to make it a runner. Saw is a bit big and heavy for its displacement but should be a strong quiet runner.

I've past that brewery quite few times. My Brother lives in Barto and I have a lot of relatives in the Macungie area.
LOL - the bear swamp. I'm about halfway between them!

The saw is very heavy. Even heavier than most of the Remingtons I own. Feels like they put some cast iron pieces in there, or maybe the gas tank is filled with rocks. You all have me excited to get it running, and take it for a spin. But I already have 4 saws on my bench in various forms of dissasembly and reassembly.

The saw is very heavy. Even heavier than most of the Remingtons I own. Feels like they put some cast iron pieces in there, or maybe the gas tank is filled with rocks. You all have me excited to get it running, and take it for a spin. But I already have 4 saws on my bench in various forms of dissasembly and reassembly.

I got my 80EV fairly cheap but it didn't have any spark. I changed it to a points coil and then used a Nova II chip, I also had to put a points flywheel on it to make the timing right. It runs really well but now I have a considerable more in the saw moneywise. It's a great running saw though...

only problem i've had with my 70V is there is not a keeper where the choke rod connects to the choke arm. mine sometime slips off. if, when you try to start it, it starts but dies or won't start when its hot take the air filter cover off and look see if the rod is connected to the arm. lots of frustration there before i figured it out. other than that it is a heavy saw but very well built and will cut anything you throw at it. just save your back and arms by keeping your chain sharp and let the chain keep it in the wood. great find for $5

only problem i've had with my 70V is there is not a keeper where the choke rod connects to the choke arm. mine sometime slips off. if, when you try to start it, it starts but dies or won't start when its hot take the air filter cover off and look see if the rod is connected to the arm. lots of frustration there before i figured it out. other than that it is a heavy saw but very well built and will cut anything you throw at it. just save your back and arms by keeping your chain sharp and let the chain keep it in the wood. great find for $5

Uhh..I didn't get mine that cheap! I think I gave around $30 and the guy told me he got tired trying to start it. I really think he knew it didn't have any spark and just didn't tell me. But I'm happy as things turned out.

What town are you in?

We should have an eastern PA GTG. I bought a saw off of freebay from a guy that lived in Reading. When I showed him some pictures of my saws he recognized them from here, and we spent a good while talking saws. Never did catch his user name, but there are a lot of members in the area it seems.

Latest posts

Back