A poor day at the auction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dff110

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
Went to a very large consignment auction this weekend. Compared to last year when I got a Disston KBY and a David Bradley, this year was quite disappointing. If you were shopping for a crapsman, pullon, or a billion wildthings, this was the place to be. Anything that has the words Stihl or Husqvarna on it went for twice what it was worth.

I did manage to get a few good deals, and even stole away one saw that no one noticed. For $5 I couldn't leave it go. But could use a little help identifying it. It is a John Deere saw, I know it is not a Remington, and it's not one of the new Poulands. Not sure who made their saws in between. I looked it over a little, didn't see any model numbers or tags on it except for the clutch cover which appears to be off a different saw.

But all in all, it's not in bad shape. Feels like good compression, it is an all magnesium build and very heavy, and has a lot of very nice and interesting details. The oil adjuster, and idle screw are thumb screw types. Air filter on the side of the saw is a new one for me. What is it, and how did I do? :chainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

barneyrb

barneyrb

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Went to a very large consignment auction this weekend. Compared to last year when I got a Disston KBY and a David Bradley, this year was quite disappointing. If you were shopping for a crapsman, pullon, or a billion wildthings, this was the place to be. Anything that has the words Stihl or Husqvarna on it went for twice what it was worth.

I did manage to get a few good deals, and even stole away one saw that no one noticed. For $5 I couldn't leave it go. But could use a little help identifying it. It is a John Deere saw, I know it is not a Remington, and it's not one of the new Poulands. Not sure who made their saws in between. I looked it over a little, didn't see any model numbers or tags on it except for the clutch cover which appears to be off a different saw.

But all in all, it's not in bad shape. Feels like good compression, it is an all magnesium build and very heavy, and has a lot of very nice and interesting details. The oil adjuster, and idle screw are thumb screw types. Air filter on the side of the saw is a new one for me. What is it, and how did I do? :chainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Made by Echo, this is the only model close that had a picture, not the same saw but close.....

Model Profile: CS-702

dff110

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
Made by Echo, this is the only model close that had a picture, not the same saw but close.....

Model Profile: CS-702

That looks very similar, and would explain the red clutch cover. I have never owned an Echo, but from what I read they are great saws. Makes me happy, and sounds like I scored a good one.

Model Profile: 70V
This matches the number on the clutch cover, and the engine displacement matches.

Macman125

Macman125

libertarian/anarcho-capitalist firewood hack
Made by kioritz same company that made echo. Similar to the cs70 as previously stated. I had one just like it when I was younger, the oiler quit working and i junked it. What a dumbazz I was at the time. I didnt know what I had and am still kicking my self in the nads over it. Good, well built saw hold on to it.

dff110

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
Made by kioritz same company that made echo. Similar to the cs70 as previously stated. I had one just like it when I was younger, the oiler quit working and i junked it. What a dumbazz I was at the time. I didnt know what I had and am still kicking my self in the nads over it. Good, well built saw hold on to it.

When I did my initial walk through the rows of stuff before the auction started, I saw two of them. But with 10+ auctioneers going at the same time I somehow sadly missed the other one.

dff110

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
I don't see anything in the echo section listed as 70V. Maybe that is the original clutch cover. Just seems odd to have a John Deere saw with a red clutch cover. I mean everyone knows how John Deere fans feel about the color red!

dff110

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
hmm, that is weird. I think I might do a full resto, and paint the clutch cover JD green. It won't be authentic, but sure will look awesome.

Macman125

Macman125

libertarian/anarcho-capitalist firewood hack
Should turn out nice:rock: If you ever decide you don't want to mess with it anymore shoot me a p.m. I would love to have one in my collection again, since I have gotten over my impatience.

dff110

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
Should turn out nice:rock: If you ever decide you don't want to mess with it anymore shoot me a p.m. I would love to have one in my collection again, since I have gotten over my impatience.

haha, will keep you in mind. It will be put in the back of the line, but I'll get around to it eventually.

dff110

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
I'm about an hour south in Bucks County. Do you know of any other auctions coming up in the area?

I work in Quakertown, and live in Schuylkill County. About 10 minutes away from Pottsville, and the Yuengling brewery. I go to a lot of auctions, but if I told you about them, then the saw prices would go up :msp_razz:

mp5n

ArboristSite Operative
Oh come on....

I work in Quakertown, and live in Schuylkill County. About 10 minutes away from Pottsville, and the Yuengling brewery. I go to a lot of auctions, but if I told you about them, then the saw prices would go up :msp_razz:

I've past that brewery quite few times. My Brother lives in Barto and I have a lot of relatives in the Macungie area.

The prices wouldn't go up much at all. I'm reaching critical mass with saws. If I get any more I'll be living in the wood shed.

dff110

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
I've past that brewery quite few times. My Brother lives in Barto and I have a lot of relatives in the Macungie area.

The prices wouldn't go up much at all. I'm reaching critical mass with saws. If I get any more I'll be living in the wood shed.

haha, well there is another large consignment auction near Kutztown in a month or two. I usually just check auctionzip.com every now and then for upcoming auctions.

DSS

Cowshot
The clutch cover is likely from an echo. Deere/Echo saws usually have a black cover. Look up under the cover below the sprocket and there's a plate with the model number.

Latest posts