A present to me...262XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well guys and gals, today is my B'day. I don't make a big fuss about it, just another day, and another Dang year older! But this year, I decided to get me something. I picked up a pretty nice Husky 261 about a week ago. The saw was said to run poorly. I guess so, the carb screws were at about 1/2 turn out. I got it running pretty good, but it just doesn't have that "snap" when you goose it.

Sooo, today I ordered up a piston for the 262. I have been polishing and cleaning things up in prep for the transplant. I screwed up and didn't take a before pic, but I will post an after pic for ya. It is not a new looking saw, but it has potential. I opened up the muff today, and painted it. Tomorrow I will clean up the case and jug for the transplant. If all goes well, Friday I should have a "Screamin Deamon" to show off.

Does anybody have a tip for Husky touch-up paint? I would also like thank Bsnelling "Brad", for the tip about the razor blade on plastic scratches. Thanks Brad, works good. I can't wait to fire it up, and go get some more firewood. Some people just don't understand how much fun it is to cut firewood. Of course I don't do it for a living, but it sure saves me a lotta dough in winter. I have a blast cuttin, the stacking ain't too fun though? And winter, she be a comin'. I am starting to like these older Husky's, if you want more power, bolt on a XXX xp jug and slug.
Gotta love that!

Thanks, guys. Anybody have a line on where to get the 262XP emblems? Maybe I should leave it alone, and show how good my 261 runs! You know, after my superior porting skills? LOL

I will put this up against my 034 Super, the winner stays. The loser gets a trip down Ebay lane. Blasphemy! What shall I do? I know you guys will give me an unbiased and truthful answer...............shoot. Yah, .............right! Oh well, please do opine. Whatcha think? They are both great saws, such a dilemma. Which would you keep, if you could only keep one?

I did the 262 conversion on my 261 and let me give you a hint. Don't judge it right away. I was not that impressed when it was first up and running, and the compression wasnt much to brag about.

But I have to say that after I ran the dog crap out of it and about 10-12 tanks of fuel through it, its a completly differant animal.

All the praise the 262xp gets is well deserved in my mind.

YEESSS, can't wait to slay some big pines! I love that 034S, but if this puppy smokes it, so be it! I am really starting to like the older Husky's. They remind me of a small block Chevy, the mods are endless.

Oh Yeah.

I did the 262 conversion to my 261 as well -- and it sent my MS361 packin'.
Awesome power, and I agree with Modifiedmark, give it about 10 tanks and then hang on!

Good luck! Al :clap: :clap:

Oh - - Happy Birthday too!

Last edited:
Thanks people, B'day is just another day to me. But, I got the transplant done...............she lives! Wow, when I goose the throttle now, she jumps! The cyl looked very good, all bearings were tight. The piston I ordered from Baileys, came as the PISTONI, yes pistoni, made in Italy. It is a quality looking piece. I did take a Dremmel to it and clean up the "Fashing" from casting. Opened up the windows a bit too.

The old gasket was a POS, it measured .030". I made a new one that measured .007,checked squish.........025". Perfect.
She fired right up, sounds good after opening up the muffler. I will put her in some wood tomorrow and let you how she does. I want to see how the clutch holds up burried in a big log. I may have to change that, the 261 has the same clutch as the 55. Here she is.

attachment.php

This is the close out bar from Baileys, I think it was 35 bucks, not bad for a bar made in Germany.

How do you get all pics to show up in the post? I know I have done it before, must be a brain fart, or vapor lock from the alcohol!

Everytime I add pics, it's different. Must be the vapor lock thing! Why does it have to be so difficult to add pis? I see folks here griping bout that all the time. How about doing like email? Add attachments, click on browse, find and click them, done. Oh well,.....just live with it until figured out.

Anyway, no wonder that 261 ran like crap. Not only did it have a dished piston, the base gasket was .030"! No friggin compression there. I should have taken my camera with me to show the ports in this model. The intake ports under the piston were huge, the ports over the piston were small. I am guessing that velocity of the intake charge, is what makes these things run so strong. The intake at the manifold was way bigger than an 036. The exhaust is harder to figure out. The 036 port is almost square, with a large opening. The 262 is not as tall, but much wider. This is my next challenge, figuring out how different ports affect the motor. I want to figure out the differences before I go crazy with the Dremmel. I will stick this baby in some wood tomorrow, and report back.

Scootr,
Great looking saw, :clap: thanks for posting the pics. If you can't find a 262xp decal I think I can get you one. I didn't have any trouble getting a new 254xp decal the other day.

Back