A Pulling & A Pulling, Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLAL003

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently posted on the homeowner helper section of this forum. I was asking about what sort of beginner saw to buy. Well, I didn't end up purchasing a saw. I ended up barrowing my father's Poulan P3516PR "Predator" chainsaw. It was new when he let me barrow it. I followed the starting directions and after a few pulls it fired right up. I ran it for about an hour or so. I had to re-crank it a few times after setting it down to move some stuff around. It did fine. I decided to take a quick 10 minute break. Got some water, sat in the shade. Topped off the bar oil, topped off the gas, tightened up the chain. Then I spent the next hour trying to crank the d**n thing. I ended up screwing up the pull cord. Which took me about half an hour to get fixed. I tried to crank it again and after countless attempts got it going again. I spent about an hour cutting. Took another break. It took me about 45 mins. to get it started that time. Atleast I didn't screw up the pull cord that time. I run it for about an hour again. The chain was garbage by this time. It was just burning it's way through the trees at this point. So I turned it off again went and bought another chain. And without suprise when I got back it took another 45 mins. to get running. I honestly about threw the d**n thing in the woods that time. If it had of been mine I probably would have. I have checked every thing on the damn saw and just can't figure out what in the world could possibly be wrong with this thing. Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Poulans can be a real pain to start. There could be a million things wrong but I bet it is flooding, washing the oil off the rings then loosing compression. Normally I would start a warm poulan buy locking it at full throttle then give it a pull. Every saw is different tho, I had an old wild thing (please dont ban me from the site for admitting this, It was a gift:( ) The only it would start warm was locked at full throttle and half choke.

I always say the hardest thing on equipment is a new user, check with your dad and see if he has a system he has been using to start the saw when hot. I have an old farm tractor if you give it any gas on a hot start it will flood and not start. Any time someone trys to start my tractor when warm, they are waiting at least 15 minuets before it will have a chance of starting.

Hot start

try grabbing the throttle wfo, with the brake locked. and pull it.. odds are it needs some air to the mix. some saws flood easier than others.

P3516pr

I recently posted on the homeowner helper section of this forum. I was asking about what sort of beginner saw to buy. Well, I didn't end up purchasing a saw. I ended up barrowing my father's Poulan P3516PR "Predator" chainsaw. It was new when he let me barrow it. I followed the starting directions and after a few pulls it fired right up. I ran it for about an hour or so. I had to re-crank it a few times after setting it down to move some stuff around. It did fine. I decided to take a quick 10 minute break. Got some water, sat in the shade. Topped off the bar oil, topped off the gas, tightened up the chain. Then I spent the next hour trying to crank the d**n thing. I ended up screwing up the pull cord. Which took me about half an hour to get fixed. I tried to crank it again and after countless attempts got it going again. I spent about an hour cutting. Took another break. It took me about 45 mins. to get it started that time. Atleast I didn't screw up the pull cord that time. I run it for about an hour again. The chain was garbage by this time. It was just burning it's way through the trees at this point. So I turned it off again went and bought another chain. And without suprise when I got back it took another 45 mins. to get running. I honestly about threw the d**n thing in the woods that time. If it had of been mine I probably would have. I have checked every thing on the damn saw and just can't figure out what in the world could possibly be wrong with this thing. Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

The warm start procedure is on page 10 of the instruction manual . http://72.3.225.179manuals/165293-01e.pdf If the link doesn't work then go to poulan.com and type in your model P3516PR then click go. Short version is place switch on . set fast idle . press primer 6 times . pull starter . blip throttle to idle .

I'll give the those suggestions a try tommarow. Thanks for the responses.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is a tip, do yourself a favour when you buy yourself a saw, DONT buy a Pullin sorry I mean Poulan:hmm3grin2orange: , go to a good local dealer and see what they sell, Husky or Stihl=good choice!!

When I start my Husky's warm. I push in decompression button, switch to on, one pull, its running. Gota love it.

The chain was garbage by this time. It was just burning it's way through the trees at this point. So I turned it off again went and bought another chain.

You know, you are supposed to sharpen the chain periodically. Just because a chain dulls, doesn't mean it is garbage.

What do you mean sharpen a chain, I have been buying them Ever-Sharp chains and never have a problem burning through the wood a year later now. :biggrinbounce2:

Also Scottr start procedure is dead on for the new poulans, i would add push primer bulb slowly, not quick pumps. Then after it fires, push in half way till it warms up blip throttle and way you go. Then on restarts i have found out is easiest in my experience with them is to pull choke out and push back in half way even for warm restarts without using primer. Hope that helps you in the troubles. Because of all the poulans I have owned, i have never had a Pull-on Pull-on Pull-on type.:biggrinbounce2:

When mine was new, it acted similar, then I got a feel for it, and it's been a one or two pull saw, warm or cold, really quite reliable over the last four years now.

What type fuel mix did you use in that saw? It almost sounds like you slowly cooked the piston after a few hard hours of cutting with bad mix. Good luck.

I have not had a chance to fire up the saw since I posted. I've had a lot of other projects going. I'm working on reclaiming the back wooded half of my property from a kudzu and privet infestation. That's primarily what the saw is for, clearing out the death and destruction brought on by the kudzu. I'm also working on fixing the much negelated yard and landscape. I've got a crap load to get done before the heat and humidity of the Gerogia summer hits. But, either way I appreciate all of the helpfull answers and suggestions.

As far as the fuel mix; I used a gallon of fresh regular unleaded (89) mixed 40:1 with an easy mix type bottle of oil. I added the oil when I was at the pump. I filled the the gas can half full, added the oil, then finished filling the gas can. Before I filled the saw I shook up the can for about 30 sec. As I did everytime after that.

I know I'm supposed to sharpen the chain, but I did not feel like filling on it for an hour or so at that point. Especially when I've got three home stores within 10 minutes of me. And, hell I didn't have that hour to file on it because I needed that hour to pull on that poulan.

Just a small gripe here, but how the hell can you call something 'homeowner' when it takes so much effort to start and run this thing? And, how can you call something 'homeowner' when the pull cord tears up after less than two hours of use? Most 'homeowners' don't have the experience fixing problems with 'things'. Or the persistance of screwing a POS to get a job done. What would a white collar 9-5 office worker with some DIY urge do with something like this?
After my experience with this thing I will NEVER buy a poulan. Hell, to be honest I'm wary of anything in the ElectroSux line of products. Though, I'm sure that Husqvarna is a million miles apart from this crap. Still, just a thought that lingers. When I buy my own saw, it'll be a Stihl or Dolmar. And here's why. I work in the autobody industry. I own many fine german tools. And, I'll tell ya, you just can't hardly tear them up. They're nearly bullet proof. When you go and pick up a german tool it works and works well everytime. I don't have to screw with it to make it do. I don't have to modify it to do the job I ask. I don't have to go and buy a new one every six weeks because it wears out. It just does. It's all about quality. And yes, you pay much more for it. But you get much more from it. I'll take a smallest cheapest stihl before I would ever consider the largest best Poulan, McCollch, Homelite, etc. And also, in my experience with tools the asians make very high quality things but they are more tempermental and less reliable than the european counterparts. And, these days made in american doesn't mean a damn thing anymore. Just my two cents.

I have not had a chance to fire up the saw since I posted. I've had a lot of other projects going. I'm working on reclaiming the back wooded half of my property from a kudzu and privet infestation. That's primarily what the saw is for, clearing out the death and destruction brought on by the kudzu. I'm also working on fixing the much negelated yard and landscape. I've got a crap load to get done before the heat and humidity of the Gerogia summer hits. But, either way I appreciate all of the helpfull answers and suggestions.

As far as the fuel mix; I used a gallon of fresh regular unleaded (89) mixed 40:1 with an easy mix type bottle of oil. I added the oil when I was at the pump. I filled the the gas can half full, added the oil, then finished filling the gas can. Before I filled the saw I shook up the can for about 30 sec. As I did everytime after that.

I know I'm supposed to sharpen the chain, but I did not feel like filling on it for an hour or so at that point. Especially when I've got three home stores within 10 minutes of me. And, hell I didn't have that hour to file on it because I needed that hour to pull on that poulan.

Just a small gripe here, but how the hell can you call something 'homeowner' when it takes so much effort to start and run this thing? And, how can you call something 'homeowner' when the pull cord tears up after less than two hours of use? Most 'homeowners' don't have the experience fixing problems with 'things'. Or the persistance of screwing a POS to get a job done. What would a white collar 9-5 office worker with some DIY urge do with something like this?
After my experience with this thing I will NEVER buy a poulan. Hell, to be honest I'm wary of anything in the ElectroSux line of products. Though, I'm sure that Husqvarna is a million miles apart from this crap. Still, just a thought that lingers. When I buy my own saw, it'll be a Stihl or Dolmar. And here's why. I work in the autobody industry. I own many fine german tools. And, I'll tell ya, you just can't hardly tear them up. They're nearly bullet proof. When you go and pick up a german tool it works and works well everytime. I don't have to screw with it to make it do. I don't have to modify it to do the job I ask. I don't have to go and buy a new one every six weeks because it wears out. It just does. It's all about quality. And yes, you pay much more for it. But you get much more from it. I'll take a smallest cheapest stihl before I would ever consider the largest best Poulan, McCollch, Homelite, etc. And also, in my experience with tools the asians make very high quality things but they are more tempermental and less reliable than the european counterparts. And, these days made in american doesn't mean a damn thing anymore. Just my two cents.

I would not be so quick to throw all Poulan's under the bus. The saw you are using, like my old Poulan's, probably was not taken care of well and had a lot of bad gas run through it. I'd not argue that there is a definate quality difference between a Poulan and a Stihl, but the two Poulan's I repaired last winter start easily and run great now. The old 54 cc Poulan 3450 has some real guts to it since I rebuilt it and opened up the muffler. I'm not selling my new Stihls, but there is a place on the truck for the two ugly green saws as well.

That Poulan had never been used until that day. Not even once had it had gas in it. Nor was it ever started. I barrowed the saw from my father. He had bought the thing over a year before. He bought it to have 'just in case'.

You might want to learn how to adjust the carb after you (if you) get that poulan running again. That might help it run and start easier. on another note the poulan 3000 I bought just got tried out hard today in 15 inch diameter oak with a muffler mod, new husky bar and freshly filed chain with my G-berg file-n-joint. I hate to say it, but this poulan runs pretty damn good. Starts easier than any I have run. Sorry scottr, I appreciate your interest, but that saw I will keep. Thank you for your help and knowledge with poulan saws. :cheers:

I really hate to say this, but that poulan 3000 gave my ms290 (stock) a run for its money. But I will fix that with a mu:blob2: ffler mod when I get back next weekend.

Sounds to me like either
1)your starting technique is incorrect or
2)your carburator is not adjusted correctly.

No saw is set correctly out of a box, as it has to be adjusted for the location in which it will be run. The Stihl will start easier, not so much because it's higher quality (it is), but because a dealer will start and adjust it correctly before you take it.

Latest posts

Back