A R E A 51 Husq 365..."Here We Go!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Word.

Thanks Nate.

This sure is a fun hobby huh Cheech? I just got a call today on that 066 I did. . . The first words out of his mouth were, "The saw Blew up." Then there was a pause, and he says, "Naw, just yankin' your chain, saw runs awesome."

I suddenly remembered it was April 1st today. :rolleyes:

He said he was out cutting with his buddy, and his buddy was running a stock 385 with a 18" bar, full chisel/full comp. Ben was running a 32" bar with full chisel/full skip on the 066. He said they were cutting neck and neck. . . That's with 2 tanks on a set of new OEM rings, and running a little fat still.

It made me feel good to hear. :)

Final product. A pocket of charge waiting to flow into the chamber is what I figure I accomplished with this porting.

DSCF1725.jpg

DSCF1724.jpg

Now a run to pep boys or the like to find the kit to test for a leak.

I forgot to blend the edges per Al's suggestion. I was going over a check list and caught it.

Here it is rounded.

DSCF1732.jpg

Now it's done.

DSCF1734.jpg

I put the stock gasket back on to test for the leak. I'm going to run it like that too for a while once I figure out the problem. See how it runs without bumping the compression.

Looking like FLOW

DSCF1736.jpg

DSCF1737.jpg

I put the stock gasket back on to test for the leak. I'm going to run it like that too for a while once I figure out the problem. See how it runs without bumping the compression.

Looking like FLOW

DSCF1736.jpg

DSCF1737.jpg

Does that make you horny Baby? Yeah!

austin-powers-shagadelic.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:

For reference.

I checked the duration for the exhaust and came up with 98º ATDC. Dang, that's hot from the factory and makes sense why Husq's run up top better than down low??

I did not check the duration for the intake. I'll do that next time I have it apart.

I also noticed in the picture the upper right transfer duct port (outer edge) is not round. I'll fix that when it's apart again too.

I couldn't hang Nate.

I've been working around the crib for the past 2 weeks and my addiction to chainsaws finally got the best of me and I had to run it:dizzy:

The saw was running fat a couple of days ago when I ran it against the piped 5100 and the pipe nipped it by a couple of tenths. The 5100 was running square chisel, but cutters I have not attempted to sharpen. The Man explained that square chisel can hold a sharp corner for some time and I believe him:cheers: The square chisel is still cutting good. I harvested this Canyon Oak with that very same chain months ago and have slapped it on the 5100 several times since then to play with the piped 5100. The Special was running my cheap hand brewed square chisel filing in the forms of beaks and ****. It still cut alright I suppose.

The RPM's at this point was around 12,800 or so. Back to stock compression, so these vids of The Special is all about FLOW in the cylinder:) The only wood I had too.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/CHEVYTOWN/VIDS/CHEVYTOWN/365.flv">

I leaned it out on the L some as it was near 2 turns in the other vid and was blowing too much smoke for my taste. The pace was back and forth too at WOT, so I knew I was close. I also leaned the H a few increments and it felt awesome when I gave it some gas. The chain is still moving a little, but not as bad as before, where it wood even take off all of a sudden. Maybe the paper gasket for more compression was not sealing it??

I used a semi-beat up LGX chain and sharpened it the best I could. If I was limbing, I wood be jazzed at this pace for the chain I had and cutting Canyon Oak to boot.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/CHEVYTOWN/VIDS/CHEVYTOWN/365HusqSpecial.flv">

The plug has a good color tone/shade to it at this RPM. It has a good pace and I'm going to keep it there. I'm going to run it there for some time before I change to a higher compression. Besides, now it's time to do the leak test:greenchainsaw:

DSCF1746.jpg

Muy bueno vato! :)

The next round is on me homes!:cheers:

I'm going to have to make time this weekend and go look for some big wood to run the 24" bar on both the 365 and 7901. They both need some run time! Vids of course:cheers:

Telling you what fellas, that plug looks like it can be leaned out more, but I'm sticking where it's at for now. It feels real good. I wood assume another port in the muffler wood get the rpm's higher, but I don't think it needs it. I can't wait to see how it runs that 24" bar burried. I know of a big round, but it's a bit punky on the outer edges. But it will do for now until the GTG happens.

Without a DAWG on the 365 Special and the cheezy original chain it had on, I had to stop the vid early:dizzy:

It was mostly dust and rather small slivers and not chips possibly because the right cutters were longer than the left cutters. The original owner sharpened the left cutters more than the right. It's time this chain is made into a sign:censored:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/CHEVYTOWN/VIDS/365Special.flv">

Time for a Pop-up using the MEX PORT.

As you know -- the first, best mod is a sharp chain. . . You'll get it. Rarely do I need to use the dogs on a saw, as the saw feeds itself into the cut.

I'm talking the stuff we got here, not that concrete you cut. LOL

:cheers:

Nate, I had to step away from square filing. No matter what I tried, the cutters were never vertical. I'm not giving up, but I have to try something different. Habits are hard to break though.

I have a couple of new 24" LGX chains and will be getting a couple of 18" chains for the 5100, so that I show up with sharp chains for the Southern Cal GTG! LOL.

JJ mentioned that because we don't get much rain here, that makes the trees harder. I haven't gotten a chance to cut much Canyon Oak since the Angeles National Forest had the Station Fire. Now it's only Piñon Pine, but that stuff can be like marble in the middle:dizzy:

I don't know Husky's that well, but I'm thinking of enlarging the exhuast flange port and match the muffler, but the port is HUGE:jawdrop: compared to the Dolmars. So I'm not sure if giving it more area will help. I'm going to go for it though.

Scatch those pictures from up top!

I had fun playing with the 20 dollar jug I got off of ebay, but it's going up on the rafters for now. I'll bust it out again sometime in the future for more experimenting.

But now it's time for a serious woods port.

I'll be using the jug that came with the saw. It's in real good condition.

photo1.jpg

I was thinking of using the same piston a little while ago, but I think I'll get a meteor and keep this one for the pipe set-up. Some transfer happened because I couldn't quite get the acid to do it's thing. I ended up using 400 wet.

photo3.jpg

I'll be machining the bump and re-shaping the area that meets with the transfer ducts. I'll be keeping it as is. No machining this time. Plans are to widen inside the transfer ports and shape.

photo-1.jpg

Stock. There will be a little bit of shaping the piston here. The piston is positioned right when the transfer ports are completely open.

photo2.jpg

Thinking of adding some windows here for the pipe. But that's somewhere down the road. It will probably help feed the finger port. Perfect job for the Mex Port:greenchainsaw:

photo1-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back