A Stihl Dealer Shop Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slowp
When I picked up "Old Sparkless" the 032, a couple of weeks ago, I also purchased a chain. I didn't look at it very closely. I got home and saw it was a safety chain. I didn't open the box, just muttered a bit.

Today I took the chain back in. I had to wait a few minutes. One of the shop guys was discussing whether the stuff Weyerhaeuser was spraying on their land was causing the hooves of deer, elk, and slow elk to rot. The consensus was yes.

The other guy came out. I just asked politely to trade for a regular chain, he didn't even look or ask for ths sales slip, quickly slid into the back of the shop, came right out with the chain I wanted and asked, "Will this do?" I said yes, and thankyou and all was good in the world.

We do have good saw shops around here...

bobt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great story Patty,,,,I loved that the dealer knew exactly what you wanted no questions asked. My last experience at a Stihl dealer was last summer when I bought a MS260, and it had a crappy safety chain on it. I told the sales kid that I wanted a real chisel chain on it instead. He looked funny at me and said,,,,"All chains are chisel",,,,Haha! I told him to get the repairman out to talk to me. It took about 5 seconds before he took the saw to the back of the shop and swapped chains!

Two questions for you Patty,,,,,

What happened to your Twinkle saw?

What are Slow Elk?

Bob

bobt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Twinkle was handed off to my replacement. I retired. I still have The Barbie Saw.

Slow Elk is a slang term for cattle.

I don't mind waiting while a story or a debate is going on. That's part of the saw shop experience here.

Well, I learn something new every day! Haha!

I have heard of Whitetail deer being called "speedy beef", but never heard about "slow elk". I love it.

Course, in The Upper Peninsula of Michigan where I grew up over 50 years ago we didn't have any elk whether fast or slow! haha!

The Stihl shop where I worked as a teen was a gathering place for a bunch of guys in the evening. Whew! The stories that were told. It was a real edumacation!

Congrats on the retirement,,,Have Fun!

Bob

Last edited:

cpr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Twinkle was handed off to my replacement. I retired. I still have The Barbie Saw.

Slow Elk is a slang term for cattle.

I don't mind waiting while a story or a debate is going on. That's part of the saw shop experience here.

No way. You parted with Twinkle?

Glad you're enjoying retirement so far. It will not be this year, nor next, but I really hope that in 2013 I can get to the PNW GTG. There's a bunch of you folks I really want to meet.

adkranger

adkranger

Addicted to ArboristSite

'round these parts too......

Bikes, saws, heavy equipment, big game season (all manner of game actually), fishing, farming, milling, timber....... no tellin' what you're going to stumble into. All part of the experience. Figure that's why a couple of my favorite shops have stools placed in front of the counter. I may buy some stuff online, but stihl prefer the experience myself.:msp_thumbsup:

xxl

ArboristSite Guru
Great story I wish i had a dealer like that. Sounds like a great place to go. The places around me are not the greatest.

ckelp

ckelp

just being myself
i've driven pass saw shops just to goto the two by my house just because they know what the hell they are doing and they'll make you laugh every time

side note
there's one stihl dealer that i'll never goto again, he never has any parts on the shelf, but he all ways has a chip on his shoulder..

grack

grack

Addicted to ArboristSite
i have a stihl dealer thats on my way to work and i couldnt imagine a better one he is the owner operater mechanic and he knows his stuff i just wish he carried other brands the other saw dealers are just terrible.