A ten year study !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My mission statement for day one forty years ago . Was make heating with wood as easy as possible . While keeping cost low . The last 5 years the effort to make wood heat has went down to less than a third of what it use to be .I recorded all the loads I brought in to the house to burn started in 2010 . I brunt 13 wagon loads for five years in 2015 I bought a Drolet tundra . I brunt 7 or 8 loads after that . The fall of 2020 I had a heat pump put in looking threw the dates . I should have started to burn my third load . My best guess is 3 loads of wood this year . I always like cutting firewood . At the same time being 20 years old was a long time ago .

My mission is always to work smarter not harder. Technology has advantages at times. Let machines do as much of the work as you can and minimize the number of times you handle the wood. I put my splits direct from the splitter into industrial wire baskets and move with my pallet fork equipped tractor
1f16e90353db1c0b0ce08779d17a9e91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have heated with wood on and off for forty years. Eleven years ago got serious and put the Garn in to heat my house domestic and my shop. I run the Garn year around to heat my domestic. We buck and split right into dump trailers so the wood is handled less. I am getting to the point because of health and help issues getting the 15 cord put up I need for a year is becoming a issue. This coming spring and summer I need to keep track of how much wood and burn and see if it most more since to burn propane to heat my water in the off season and maybe even use a little propane in the shoulder months too. This FREE wood has a cost to it also.

I've been heating with wood since 2004. The boiler paid for itself in less than 2 years. I don't think that I have spent anywhere close to $4000.00 per year for chain saws, fuel, bar oil, chains, parts etc. I bought 1 cord of wood during that time to help out my neighbor who over ordered a truckload. The rest of the wood comes from our woods and neighbors and friends looking to get rid of their downed trees. Free wood is never totally free but there's no sense in turning it down either. I burn around 16 cord per year so we're always cutting and splitting when spring comes around. Since October I've gone through 6 cord of pine, starting Jan. I'll be using my hardwoods until March then it's back to the remaining pine of about 6 cords. I started the season with @ 18 cord this year. I think I'm in good shape this year for a change.

aokpops: We also have a ground source heat pump.
And consequently have had very few wood stove fires to date inside.
We get enery reports saying our consumption is high compared to the 'average' consumer, but our home is 100% electric.
$250./month, or $8.00/day from mid Nov. to mid Dec. Our other monthly bills are phone/internet and garbage/recycling.
We have been burning, nights mostly, to heat an out building since early Nov. Once the concrete is warm it's not hard to keep up. Up till now we're still burning seasoned pallets of junk wood from last years processing, about two cord total. Since Christmas it's full time burning ,and enough junk wood for another week. Then to the wood shed for the good stuff, and for sure, steady burns inside as well now that winter has settled in southwest Michigan. If it was just about money, we would not be burning firewood. If I sold every cord of good wood we will burn this winter it would easily be a wash and then some for Jan./Feb/and half of March.
We do it because we enjoy it!
We have had a heat pump for 25 years. The past five years natural gas has become available and is a cost efficient option. We were going to do a whole house back up generator last spring, run on natural gas. A couple things changed that, and we never did the install and did not run the service line from the road.
If our electric goes out we have a small generator to cover the pump for the well and refrigeration, and seasoned wood for heat.

I've burned wood my entire life, had a few years before I bought my own house where it was just my parents shop that was heated with wood. Been in my house 6 years now. Heat exclusively with wood. Hot blast 1557m furnace. Typically we will go through 10 cord a year. Last year was pretty mild for the most part and had close to 2 cord left in the shed at the end of burn season. I think I'll be ahead this year as well, if these temps keep up. I have enough wood on hand for about 2 years, so I tend to get a bit lazy some years, for processing. I plan to get another 10 cord shed up this year, as I have found a new source for wood. It only makes sense if it's free, if and when I have to start paying for wood ill likely go gas and keep wood as backup.

I too have heated with wood on and off for forty years. Eleven years ago got serious and put the Garn in to heat my house domestic and my shop. I run the Garn year around to heat my domestic. We buck and split right into dump trailers so the wood is handled less. I am getting to the point because of health and help issues getting the 15 cord put up I need for a year is becoming a issue. This coming spring and summer I need to keep track of how much wood and burn and see if it most more since to burn propane to heat my water in the off season and maybe even use a little propane in the shoulder months too. This FREE wood has a cost to it also.
I run a Garn too, seven years now. Last fall I replumbed so it no longer does the domestic. When it wasn't the 'real' heating season, I was running 2 circulators 24/7 for the small amount of hot water we use. I went to a Rheem tankless, propane fired. If you aren't using hot water, it cost you nothing. Also, with the Garn, sometimes the water temp.was 125, sometimes 170.

I keep it as simple as I can and it's still a lot of work! I do like the warmth from wood heat and turning the t-stat up to 72 when it's below freezing out is priceless!
Happy New Year all

I keep it as simple as I can and it's still a lot of work! I do like the warmth from wood heat and turning the t-stat up to 72 when it's below freezing out is priceless!
Happy New Year all.

Happy New Year all.

I'm gong on 7 years now heating with wood. The first non epa furnace would eat through wood way to fast with little heat. This is my third year with the epa furnace and I think I have it finally hooked up the best way I can. I supplement with wood heat so its more about not using propane than counting how much wood I burn. Last year i used half a tank of propane and this year I have bearly touched the other half. It seems that I'm burning more wood this year but the house is warmer and the lp furnace doesn't kick on at night. Im still using less than 3 cord of wood but thats not counting the dead ash logs I drag out of the woods and throw in the furnace.

My mission is always to work smarter not harder. Technology has advantages at times. Let machines do as much of the work as you can and minimize the number of times you handle the wood. I put my splits direct from the splitter into industrial wire baskets and move with my pallet fork equipped tractor
1f16e90353db1c0b0ce08779d17a9e91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren’t those Kubota tractors great little workhorses? Where I am in Australia, we use them in vineyard operations and they do a great job for their size. I’m guessing by the front tyres that yours is 4x4? That makes them even more versatile [emoji1303]

The technology has advance . Were the price of energy should stay low . But you never know . I drive a 95 neon to work cost about 15 bucks every 2 weeks . I lived threw a few high cost of energy . At one time I figure my wood pile at 20 thousand .With no tax on it . Not to bad just a dumb butt that never made out of school .

Back