About 2 months ahead of last year - finally a sunny day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's been a loooooong winter here in the Southern Tier of Upstate NY. There is still snow on the ground in many places and lots of things are still frozen (like my rounds frozen to the ground). But today was a sunny day and I got out to split some rounds. Mostly Ash but a lot of Maple and some White Oak.

I'm tired. :cheers: Here are some pics.

NewPilew_Daughter_zps6888e379.jpg

NewPilew_saw_zpsd88221d7.jpg

Last edited:
That's my soon-to-be 15 year old daughter with the horse. If ... it were a 15 year old son ... he would be in the pics working the wood pile.

Damn women. Can't get any real work out of them.

OK ... that's a 15 minute burn.

I have several more cut trees to haul out of the forest.

I've been stacking on pallets ... I hate them. The plan is to make some wood caddys this year. When I do that I will post pics.

Last edited:
flashhole,

Way to be productive on the first decent day.
Same for me but I spent the day picking up fallen branches and burning rotten and nasty crud wood.
A typical spring day for me LOL

You realy put your ash into it today didn't you?

Yes I did and my ash is dragging. :hmm3grin2orange:

Intended on noodling the big oak rounds and finish splitting it but put the chain into rock on the first cut. Have to go at it again tomorrow.

I think I need to recruit Storm to sack it for me.

I busted my ash today also,3 trips into the woods got me enough to burn for a week or 2.

I swear it looks like something was 100' up in the sky and dropped 2 handfuls of drinking straws,just about every ash tree under 6" is down on the ground or hung up in another tree.

In a few years the bugs killing our trees is going to have Michigan looking like the Mojave...

Nice job on the woodpiles. It was a gorgeous day. I got a couple of stacks of old stuff sorted out and split. It felt good.

Nice job! I hear ya on the being sore this morning, had a full day of carrying chokers and pulling winch cable yesterday. Finish yer coffee and get your butt back out there :D

Sore this morning. No surprise there. Getting old is not for sissies.

Getting old sure makes me feel like a sissy.

until I see the younger generations idea of work. still the man.

Last edited:
stihly dan,

Isn't there an app for that? lol

I will just say that the new 20 is the old school 65.
I'm a decade+ from that but in my experience your better to get help from a 65er than a 20er.

Last edited:
Gotta love that ash! I wish I were two months ahead of last year, but I'm not even close. Winter here in Minn was like I remember they used to be, a lot of snow. March came in like a lion and left the same way without taking the snow with it. Last year on my birthday (March 18th) it was 78 degrees and no snow anywhere in sight. This year there is still at least 2 feet and just starting to melt. I still have at least 7 cords that needs splitting that I cant even get to :bang:

Real windy here today with cold rain. Quite a change from yesterday. Nice warm fire and plenty of cold beer. Glad I filled the wood caddy before going to Church.

Those are some nice piles, I still have way too much snow to even think of getting started.:msp_sad:

Back