About the cold - heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MillinginOz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gidday Hautions11 I hear ya about milling in the cool we are planning to mill early in the morning 8am on wards ,we live in a city that has a 1,000,000 + people ,noise restrictions and only plan to mill for 2hrs before it gets to hot, right now its 80f at 10am its a real concern cause I dont want to end up cooking our saws and bars I allready killed 1 saw on our rail mill my fault to hot and over excited to get our 1st cuts done .saw was iffy and I knew that but it was a freebie 750 homelite cooked the piston through chrome flaking off the bore ya live and learn some times the hard way . I work repairing chainsaws etc and the amount of dead saws that we get in, through the only way I can put this is heat exhaustion is staggering (siezed piston) through cutting when day is to hot, not enough 2stroke oil in fuel mix , and suprizingly to much oil in mix . lean piston siezures on the intake port side through excess oil lowering air fuel ratio in cylinder charge at high revs more oil= less fuel to burn =leaner mix only struck this twice but can happen sorry about being so long winded in these post am new to this so if I'm to chatty tell me and I'll shorten up till later MillinginOz

MillinginOz said:
Gidday Hautions11 I hear ya about milling in the cool we are planning to mill early in the morning 8am on wards ,we live in a city that has a 1,000,000 + people ,noise restrictions and only plan to mill for 2hrs before it gets to hot, right now its 80f at 10am its a real concern cause I dont want to end up cooking our saws and bars I allready killed 1 saw on our rail mill my fault to hot and over excited to get our 1st cuts done .saw was iffy and I knew that but it was a freebie 750 homelite cooked the piston through chrome flaking off the bore ya live and learn some times the hard way . I work repairing chainsaws etc and the amount of dead saws that we get in, through the only way I can put this is heat exhaustion is staggering (siezed piston) through cutting when day is to hot, not enough 2stroke oil in fuel mix , and suprizingly to much oil in mix . lean piston siezures on the intake port side through excess oil lowering air fuel ratio in cylinder charge at high revs more oil= less fuel to burn =leaner mix only struck this twice but can happen sorry about being so long winded in these post am new to this so if I'm to chatty tell me and I'll shorten up till later MillinginOz

You can't get to chatty, If some one don't like it, they don't have to
read it. So chat away :)

I agree with Trigger. Chat away Oz, I like to chat with people who are passionate about things that interest me as well. I dont know of anyone close to me who mills wood as a hobby or for a living either, So this is the only place to share my interest. Youll find lots of great people in here to Chat with and share information with.

Oz,

I agree, chat away! I cut the last 8 ash boards that I am going to get out of the tree's I cut down in my yard and the neighbors. I did not mess with the short pieces or the small diameter stuff. That went to firewood. With my haul today I got a little over 300 Bd feet of extremely nice ash. In previous threads I mentioned I wanted to use this wood for a project this winter and I think I found a solution. Two people within 30 minutes of me run small custom sawing businesses and custom kiln operations. I have talked to both of them and I can piggyback on one of their existing runs. 25 cents per board foot and he will load and unload it. I thought that was pretty good. He starts another run in a week or so. The dry time is around 3 weeks. That gets me dry wood for my time off at Christmas. Good timing for me.

Oz I wounded the piston in my 064 this summer in 90 plus degrees 24" oak and a non functional oiler. I scuffed it a bit but it still runs OK. I have another fairly new piston, so I plan to do a partial overhaul and touch up the ports a bit. Love to hear your progress, so fire away.

more oil is not always a bad thing, but you have to readjust the carb to compesate. You also want to set a mill saw really rich to protect it against lean sieze. Also make sure the saw is somewhat clean. It is amazing how little dirt/dust it takes a saw to over heat....

Gidday Freakingstang I agree with you on the little bit more oil but I think you misunderstood me on too much oil ,the saw I was referring to was from a customer who put 1/2 a bottle of 2 stroke oil in 2 liters of fuel giving about a 10-1 mix I'm suprized it ran at all but on further questioning he said it didn't idle real good but at full revs ran hard then stopped I'd asked him if he had read the owners manual and he said na he knew how to use a saw ya can't help know-it-alls and this a brand new saw . I'd all ready pulled the saw down and noted that the piston had siezed on the intake port side not the exhaust side never struck that .so in talking to an other mechanic who tunes racing dirt bikes he explained the above to me and on reflection made sense .On carby tuning in the shop I allways tune with the aide of a digitac tachometer and allways set to manufactures specs -50-100 rpm and then test run them in a log ,got caught on a husky tuning by ear and now never do it sorry if I dont get my thoughts across to good but I'm new to this typing caper so bear with me guys MillinginOz

Latest posts

Back