Accesible Loss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEKS

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Should read Acceptable Loss, this load was far from accesible..
When cutting fallen dead there is the greater chance of punk, junk wood..
I thought I was in for more causalities than expected..
Split up a Fallen Sugar Maple and only a few dozen losses, not bad..
Best part is, it all burns.. (some better than others)
(Pics were taken before all the splitting was done, daylight is a premium this time of year)

Last edited:
Yer pics. It looks like it'll all burn to me.

263400d1353468493-dsc01008-jpg

263402d1353468514-dsc01045-jpg

263403d1353468537-niagara-falls-20121120-00008-jpg

263408d1353468771-niagara-falls-20121120-00010-jpg

Stihl stickers are like Harley-Davidson or John Deere stickers, a fashion accessory that says "I like paying more than it's worth to get something that's popular, instead of less expensive, better perfoming options." :D :D :D

Stihl stickers are like Harley-Davidson or John Deere stickers, a fashion accessory that says "I like paying more than it's worth to get something that's popular, instead of less expensive, better perfoming options." :D :D :D

Nothing like throwing a can of gasoline into the fireplace! ;) I'm running away from ground zero as I write this and wish you a speedy recovery.:popcorn:

I do think were a bit more civil here in the firewood forums, not like the guys in the Chainsaw section. :wink2: :popcorn:

It covers up a war wound on the splitter..
I did not have a Homelite Sticker to slap on..

Last edited:
Stihl stickers are like Harley-Davidson or John Deere stickers, a fashion accessory that says "I like paying more than it's worth to get something that's popular, instead of less expensive, better perfoming options." :D :D

White/Orange did not match well with my truck either..

Last edited:
Not bad really, It could be a lot worse. I had wood that was wayyy worse. It'll all burn. Looks like some good sized rounds there to split too :)

Good job splitting and stacking that stuff, I think Sugar Maple punks out faster than Un-split Birch.

Not bad really, It could be a lot worse. I had wood that was wayyy worse. It'll all burn. Looks like some good sized rounds there to split too :)

I agree. It's all wood and it all emits heat.

Honestly, we were surprised last week by how well some half punky oak burned. I was gonna leave it lay in the woods. The SheWolf got ahold of a stick and laid it on the fire. To make a long story short, Her Majesty said cut it up and keep it. I did. Peeling bark, woodpecker holes and all. :)

Steve's post above reminds me of the old Bose wars in the prosound forums. We'd poke fun at the Bose L1 guys... tell 'em the sound system was free. It's the Bose logo that costs 5 grand. ;)

Did Saw Troll change his screen name?

Naw, sometimes it's just fun to grab a stick and stir a little!

If I gotta be serious, the makes in my first post do have SOME good stuff, but it's mixed in with overpriced but well marketed average or below quality stuff.

If I gotta be serious, the makes in my first post do have SOME good stuff, but it's mixed in with overpriced but well marketed average or below quality stuff.

That's true for a good bit of stuff (besides chainsaws) that's being sold these days. Having said that, I'm still not ready to give up my 15+ year old "homeowner saw". It was quite busy today gnawing on some oak and cherry. I've got around a half cord of hedge on the ground that awaits a similar fate.

Did you have too much to drink? What the hell was that second sentence supposed to mean?

Dolmar is good German stuff with Mahle pistons. I don't seriously knock any body that makes pro machines-somebody will answer for that level of equipment if it fails. For what I do, I don't buy less than pro level stuff.

Here's the formula anyhow. Pro Stihl in 1990 = $600. 20 plus years later: $600/20 years = $30 per year to have the best. Now some brain will come along with how he blows up his Stihl in big softwoo every 150 hours, they need schooled on mixin fuel and keepin' it from contaminants. But they can run for a decade or more. We cut winter when the sap stops flowing for logs. Tree work wears them out though. Stihl many MS361's purr along every day and we run the snot out of it.

I go with what I know..
If a make or brand works I stay with it until proven otherwise..
Sometimes paying more up front, pays off in reliability, performance and longevity..
There is a lot of good kit out there, I have used many of the same brands for 40 years plus, what I use and choose works for me..

Last edited:
Did you have too much to drink? What the hell was that second sentence supposed to mean?

No, just posting via phone. I try to keep it short and sweet when I don't have a keyboard to type on. What I'm trying to get across is that the person who needs a new piece of equipment just goes straight to the (insert name of brand here) store on the corner and plops down the cash, he's probably getting less and paying more than the guy that does his homework and checks out all the choices.

I'm pretty loyal to the brands I like, but given another option thats better or just as good for less, I'd be tempted to have a new loyalty. Truth be told, I'm a red tractor guy, but my next one has a 50/50 shot of being green.

BTW, you have less brand recognition than Olympic/Olympyk/Oleo Mac/Efco. How bout keeping a name for a while?

PEKS, sorry for the derail.

Back