Acquiring stihl 076 - questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30-32" bar. For reasons mentioned above, it'll help balance the weight. It'll feel a lot better with that then it will with a 25".

I have a 42" for mine and it balanced pretty good with it. Though it's all in a box right now needing a cylinder. You have an extra laying around?

Anybody have any input on the exceeding the limited RPM question? Just curious about longevity. Obviously I won't be doing WOT with no load of I can help it.

blsnelling tuned his 076 to over 11,000 RPM in this video, and says it ran up over 12,000.

Anything is better than a hand saw or axe. Some people like to only run big old heavy slow saws just for fun...and the cost factor sometimes. Like when you see a guy driving an expensive slow old model car instead of a new corvette. Some people like to justify buying the most expensive new best power to weight/ratio saw and having it ported and buying an expensive lightweight bar, just to cut a little firewood. Some guys don't have the strength or stamina for working with big heavy saws either. Just have fun with your saw and go as big as you need.

BTW, lets see it?
Me likes a big ass saw....
View attachment 531114

Here it is wearing 25" bar/RS chain on 8 pin sprocket. I know, I took none of your advice. I think I will get a 36" bar for it when I set it up to mill.

IMG_2314.JPG IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2317.JPG IMG_2318.JPG

This saw has a NOS crankcase, crankshaft, bearings, oil pump and booster, pump gears, o rings and seals, rebuilt Tillotson carb.

Yes I was sweating out there this morning. I noodled through a bunch of 30" Pine that I didn't feel like hoisting onto the splitter. Definite learning curve for someone that has never run anything over 72CCs. Good throttle response, great torque, decent cutting speed but not up there with the modern ported saws that I have seen on here. I think I will keep it a bit rich at the low 11,000s for this break in period. Eventually might lean it a bit to higher RPM as I am running 32:1 87 octane ethanol gas. Could not find ethanol-free gas that was lower than 92 octane around here. It's got a nice feel to it and reminds me of my 041, except for the fact that I immediately got the impression that it has more kickback potential. As mentioned, the ungoverned carb did not make much difference as the saw was happy at lower RPM loaded in the cut.

One nice thing is I was swinging a 16 lb sledgehammer at work this week so it was a good warm up for running the 076. I am looking forward to familiarizing myself with the saw. Longer bars, weight and extra CCs take some getting used to.

Here it is wearing 25" bar/RS chain on 8 pin sprocket. I know, I took none of your advice. I think I will get a 36" bar for it when I set it up to mill.

View attachment 534134 View attachment 534135 View attachment 534136 View attachment 534137

This saw has a NOS crankcase, crankshaft, bearings, oil pump and booster, pump gears, o rings and seals, rebuilt Tillotson carb.
nice looking saw @west041. run what your happy with. replace that hoodshirt with a nice blankie and put it up on the shelf.:lol:

It's got a nice feel to it and reminds me of my 041, except for the fact that I immediately got the impression that it has more kickback potential.
I've always thought the 075/ 076 was like an 041's big brother. Very similar. Good torque & long stroke.
Once in a great while you'll see a chainbrake clutch cover come up on eBay.
I'd leave a saved search on it to alert you if one gets listed.
I got an NOS one, but it was $175.00, which was kind of high, but they are hard to find.
I don't know if the ones produced in Brazil have chainbrakes or not.
I think not, because you can't buy them from Stihl, and they probably aren't real concerned about safety in South America.
According to Chainsaw Collectors corners' information, the 075/076 has the longest stroke of all the 60's and onward Stihl saws.
That may be the reason for the governor, in that it keeps it within it's useful power band and lowers the possibility of failures from higher rpm stresses.

075 is a tough Saw to beat. Just picked up a 2101XP. Both are beasts. Husky is fast quick lightweight damn good in med size wood. 075 is torque monster and with a 3/8 8 pin, tricked carb, it's a runner too. I just sold my Mac Super 797, and that was my favorite of the 3.

View attachment 534134 View attachment 534135 View attachment 534136 View attachment 534137

Good looking Saw. I saw a lot of those on ebay last winter. Guy was selling one about every 2 weeks. Not sure if that's where you got it. Either way looks like it has a lot of life left in it.

Good looking Saw. I saw a lot of those on ebay last winter. Guy was selling one about every 2 weeks. Not sure if that's where you got it. Either way looks like it has a lot of life left in it.

I did get it off Lee from Texas. Well reviewed EBay seller. Great guy to deal with. He builds a lot of 051/075 "hybrids" where he puts an 075 top end in it.

Back