Adding another saw to the fleet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been selling some unused items in the shop and building up a fund for another saw. I am thinking about adding another Stihl 660 or possibly a 880 (depending on how well this next sale goes). A couple of questions...

I had my 066 "Walkerized" when new. It has been a great saw and I use it primarily when felling and cutting to length firewood. The 660/066 seems to be a very popular saw for modifying. Although I have the tools to modify a 2 stroke engine (ports, polishing, etc), I do not have the experience and am willing to contract this to someone who has. Who is doing this now? Walkers saw shop is but I hear about KD, but understand that he is retired. Other options?

Does the 880 really outperform a 660? Can I set the rakers to .035 and blast thru a 24"oak in a third less time with the bigger engine? Will a stock 880 outcut a litely modded 660?

I have heard said that "it takes cubic dollars to beat cubic inches", that is why I am even considering the big bore machine.

Bob

Rleonard said:
Does the 880 really outperform a 660? Can I set the rakers to .035 and blast thru a 24"oak in a third less time with the bigger engine? Will a stock 880 outcut a litely modded 660?

It probably depends on what you are asking the saws to do when you're comparing them. Bucking up 24" firewood? Milling? Flush-cutting stumps? I don't have that much time on the big saws, but I don't think that you'd realize the full benefit of the increased displacement until you're burying a very long bar. And you'll pay a huge weight penalty AND have to buy a new batch of large-mount bars and most of your old loops wouldn't match up.

If you're doing a lot of firewood, you might find it interesting to spend your money on a well-modded Dolmar 7900 so you can get 066 performance in a 13.5lb package. That might be fun.

Weight becomes the issue. The 066/660 is a hard saw to beat. Yes, you could make an 880 faster by using a bigger sprocket in smaller wood, but you still have the huge weight differential, and the chances of throwing or breaking a chain get higher. None are tradeoffs I like. I bought my 3120 for the mill, the 066 is my "almost everything else", and the Super XL is my "clean up" saw for the little stuff.

Mark

I have both... and my 066 is lightly modded, but if I wasn't milling I'd probably just stop at the 660 (and borrow an 088 for the occasional really big stump!). With a full comp .404 chain on an 36 bar, the 088 really haul ass. On a 60 inch bar there isn't much to touch it.

The 088 is impressive and out-cuts a 660, but I wouldn't want to use it all day. I reach for the 660 almost always..

All good feedback. Thank you. I do get called to saw up the big stuff on ocasion. That is another point to having the big saw. Usually the 066 or 046 can handle most jobs.

Thanks again guys.

Bob

Latest posts

Back