adjusting a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to stop the return of the ram before it completely retracts on a splitter with a return detent in the valve? The ram is over 28" long but the logs are all 16'-17" so if the auto return is used it goes all the way back and then has to run back out to the 16" spot before it catches the next log. I saw some collars in the Northern catalog that look like they clamp on the cylinder. Will that work but won't that also damage the cylinder??

Those bands will not hurt cylinder at all. They are used allott for depth control on farm implements. Just make sure to get the proper size to fit the shaft.

the collars work nice, keeps the loads centered on the cylinder. As long at they contact steel, not the seal area, you should be fine. Grind out some clearance if you need to. Used on the farm all the time.

Some sort of flip down or flip up stopper could work, but they could be a pinch/crush point on hands. (Same reason I don' tlike the 'stuck log ejector' bars, can be dangerous)

I like the steel bar and vise grips approach too-if the bar is the right length to hit the cylinder support or something, the vise grips don't carry load, they just hold the bar in place. The load is off center from the cylinder force, but you can also adjust the detent kickout down so it never reaches much load in retract. Should be a screw and jam nut on the side of the back end of the spool cap. Not the relief valve adjustment, but it's on the back end of the spool.

EVery inch of wasted motion is time wasted.

k

Back