adjusting splitter psi.... have pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've seen a couple threads regarding pressure adjustment at the valve, as well as 2-speed pump 1st stage/2nd stage adjustment without much clarity due to lack of pics. So below is my setup on crappy Harbor Freight 9hp 16gpm 2-stage pump setup. (BTW, I'm going to be installing a pressure gauge at the same time as the new pump and ram come in for warranty replacements...soon i hope!!!)

Question 1) I want to optimize output psi between 2500 and 2750 psi based on read responses. In the pic of valve below, I assume it's the bolt/jam-nut similar to engine rocker arms, right? Hold the bolt..loosen the nut...adjust the bolt and hold it while tightening nut... right? But what is the large hex head near the lever? Access port for machining purposes and don't touch?

Question 2) On the pump itself are 3 hex head parts, 2 top, 1 bottom. Would any of these work for pressure gauge tap? If not no biggie. I've read conflicting info as to being able to adjust psi of kickdown to "low gear, high psi" etc....will any of these 3 "ports" do that? Tell me to leave them alone and I will....tell me to mess with it to see what happens and I'm all over it!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Question 2) On the pump itself are 3 hex head parts, 2 top, 1 bottom. Would any of these work for pressure gauge tap? If not no biggie. I've read conflicting info as to being able to adjust psi of kickdown to "low gear, high psi" etc....will any of these 3 "ports" do that? Tell me to leave them alone and I will....tell me to mess with it to see what happens and I'm all over it!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Check this pdf....it shows Haldex double stage pumps are adjustable between 400-900psi....that should be that hex bolt...the hex is probably a cap over a screw with an allen head....screw in increase pressure before low flow/high pressure kicks in.....dont set it to high....that will kill engine...

Question 1) I want to optimize output psi between 2500 and 2750 psi based on read responses. In the pic of valve below, I assume it's the bolt/jam-nut similar to engine rocker arms, right? Hold the bolt..loosen the nut...adjust the bolt and hold it while tightening nut... right? But what is the large hex head near the lever? Access port for machining purposes and don't touch?

attachment.php

attachment.php

The hex near the lever is the relief valve, the other one is for the detent...
The big hex is a cap....under you probably have a allen head on a screw....like you say....similar to rocker arms...Screw in...compressing the spring.......higher pressure

Get a new detent valve, they have a releif valve built in to adjust the pressure up there instead of at the pump.

I have an old one, 4 holes, 1 in from pump, 1 out to cylinder, 1 in from cylinder, and 1 out to tank. There is a hex bolt there that you unscrew, put in a washer and screw back in. Up goes the pressure. Stay away from the pump.

I'm sitting just below 3K on my PSI, it's nice to split things sideways

Get a new detent valve, they have a releif valve built in to adjust the pressure up there instead of at the pump.

I have an old one, 4 holes, 1 in from pump, 1 out to cylinder, 1 in from cylinder, and 1 out to tank. There is a hex bolt there that you unscrew, put in a washer and screw back in. Up goes the pressure. Stay away from the pump.

I'm sitting just below 3K on my PSI, it's nice to split things sideways

His detent valve already has a pressure relief. Pressure adjustment on control valve is for max. system pressure. While adjustment on pump is for shift point between high and low volume.

Somewhat confusing replies, so let me see if I got this right.

The big hex (or whatever under it) near the lever is for overall max psi adjust, called relief pressure, right?

The other bolt/nut combo is detent pressure, meaning what psi it kicks back to neutral when full retract reached?

As for the pump, I guess I'll call up Haldex for specifics of what those three hex part are....On second thought, I'll just leave it be...on third thought, might be interesting to tweak and see how it performs if I delay the low-speed-kickdown......nah, i'll just leave it be.

Latest posts

Back