Advice on fixing an AL ladder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The last tree I dropped hit my aluminum ladder and "bent" about the lower 5 feet. I was just going to cut it off and thought:
What would my buds on arboristsite advise

Would it be worth it to try to straighten it?
here's a pic

asset.php

Last edited:
I would say throw it out. Your rail is cracked and who knows what else is damaged. It will never straighten out like it was not will it be as strong.

(crack evident in picture to the right of the middle rung)

Dont look like its kinked up any where. Id try to straighten it first.

EDIT, I looked again and seen the crack. Could probably weld it up if you get it straight......I have a couple laying around that got cut down because of damage.

Last edited:
Alum. ladders are not a real high dollar item. I wouldn't trust anything with my life that has been molested like that. IMO Especially alloy items.

Simple enough........cut it off above the bend so the new bottom will be proportionate to the old one(the same just shorter) then remove the feet and any mounting plates for such and re-attach identically to the new bottom. And yes, you will need to use the same type of fasteners, usually rivets. You now have the same ladder only shorter.

Crack or no crack, the bend has compromised the mechanical and material properties that made it a safe climbing ladder. It is no longer safe to use as the manufacturer intended. Scrap it.

Simple enough........cut it off above the bend so the new bottom will be proportionate to the old one(the same just shorter) then remove the feet and any mounting plates for such and re-attach identically to the new bottom. And yes, you will need to use the same type of fasteners, usually rivets. You now have the same ladder only shorter.

what he said... :msp_biggrin:

I wouldn't straighten it. AL is brittle and you don't know how bad the damage is - especially since it occurred quickly - maybe more stress cracks than you know.

Leave it as is and use it for a guide for a chainsaw mill - to cut rockers for rocking chairs.

Ladder

you might be able to re use it, but I wouldn't.

If you are using it on the job, and some one gets hurt because it fails, you are responsible.

I would just like to say its kinda depressing seeing these kind of questions. Is it possible to have a special ladder forum for these schmucks?:msp_crying:

The last tree I dropped hit my aluminum ladder and "bent" about the lower 5 feet. I was just going to cut it off and thought:

Would it be worth it to try to straighten it?
here's a pic

asset.php

I read all the post's and must say, "You are dumb!". This is ridiculouse to even be talking about!!
Jeff :msp_angry:

I have an old alum ext ladder that i cut off the damaged end and i use it on 2 sawhorses to paint stuff on like my wrought iron projects and cupboard doors. It makes a great thing to hang stuff on too but don't use it for a ladder...Bob

Make a great trellis

Nail it between two poles or stick tripods, then you can drop strings down to like beans/peas/cucumbers/japanese melons what not in the garden. You can hang pots from it, or stick pots up there on the top (use best judgment there on weight and spreading it out, etc and what to use for potting soil...)and wire them down, and do tomatoes for "upside down" tomatoes. no further anything is required to do them that way, they just hang down, makes it easy to harvest.

I've taken individual bent or damaged ladder sections apart, from a sliding extension ladder, straightened them by running over the hump with some boards over it**, (and maybe some boards at the ends under it to give it more play to straighten out) then screwed stiffener boards to the sides. You have two heavier individual ladders then. You can rip some boards (like pressure treated 1 x 4s) that will snug up inside the rail section on the side, so they fit tight inside the little lips there. Pop some holes, bolt them down. I've used them just like that, your call if you want to and won't advise you to of course.

**I straighten bent corral sections and gates this way as well, with the tractor for weight...doesn't come out perfect, but they can be put back into service then.

try this as a search string "upside+down"+tomatoes

it's slick and old ladder sections would be good for it

Or, you can just take them to the scrap yard along with your stash of roached pistons and cylinders and so on, turn them in for some cash, see if they have any saws there for cheap....me, I'd do something with the ladder sections. I try to repair/repurpose/reuse stuff all the time. I've never made enough to willy nilly chuck stuff out and go buy all new again. In fact, I buy very little new anything, by the way of durable goods. Some, but not much. recent new chainsaw and fiskars tools being rare exceptions.

ladder ceo

my friend is the ceo of a ladder corp.he has told me some scary stories.about people fixing and doing crazy things with ladders,i hope you cut it up and make something with it,on the ground.k

Back