Advice on Purchasing a New Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to want these, they are for pruning.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-3-Pack-9-in-6-TPI-Bi-Metal-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-Set/1208287

That would be a good saw. I would personally spent the extra money for the 20 volt version. I'd also consider the Lithium Ion battery saw also, at least to compare price.

You're going to want these, they are for pruning.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-3-Pack-9-in-6-TPI-Bi-Metal-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-Set/1208287

That would be a good saw. I would personally spent the extra money for the 20 volt version. I'd also consider the Lithium Ion battery saw also, at least to compare price.
Making a trip to Lowes in the morning. ..

20 volt Dewalt cordless saw
20 volt lithium Ion battery
charger
porter cable 3-pk blades

Anything else I need for this saw?

You can derive some useful info though. And in the end, a DeWalt sazwall can be worth its weight in gold for a variety of tasks. Be it removing a section of sewer pipe, cutting up junk furniture, cutting rebars, cutting 2x8s, or just cutting down a few branches. Plus cutting up deer in the garage before further butchering.

But once you have one power tool there are many others. Even for your hobbyist type. Imagine what sort of patterns you could cut with this gizmo. :D

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-18-Volt-Cordless-Cut-Out-Tool-Tool-Only-DC550B/202220994

Cut through tile, plastic, metal, cardboard, sheet metal, just like using a pencil. ;)

Then a precision rotary tool, an oscillating multitool, a jigsaw, and one and on from there. lol!

Even electric chainsaw with a really long cord beats bow saw and axe, it seems my CS-2145 developed issue last night, fuel tank vent blows fuel out and saw runs only for few seconds, I wanted to fell a few trees so thought I try the axe method as I had so great experiences from last time attempting that.

WIth short handle axe I had not even nearly as much issues than with long handled one, just it was quite slow work, so it seems axe handle of 20" long seems to be safer than those longer handles.

Electric chainsaw was so much faster though, despite being only 1400W and 25-26 years old, I had not trouble felling 6" trees with it. Chainsaw PPE is pretty useless with electric chainsaw of that kind, big constant torque will render most PPE useless, but helmet/visor/earmuffs is needed in my opinion. Maybe some make PPE that works with electric chainsaws too.

Those sawzalls and such are great tools, but with bit over 1 inch saw blade movement, how well it is going to cut up to 6" thickness, isn't saw dust just moving back and forth in the cut and teeth will not clear? Never used such, just curious about it as with jigsaw it becomes quite slow to saw thicker wood.

Those sawzalls and such are great tools, but with bit over 1 inch saw blade movement, how well it is going to cut up to 6" thickness, isn't saw dust just moving back and forth in the cut and teeth will not clear? Never used such, just curious about it as with jigsaw it becomes quite slow to saw thicker wood.

There is a dedicated pruning blade that has quite a bit different tooth profile than the normal wood blades. My sawzall, actually a porter cable tiger saw has a straight line and an orbital mode. I have a sabre saw/jig saw not sure what term to use but it has a straight and three degrees of orbital. 6 inches is likely a bit much.

okay. I'm armed and dangerous now!:D

You guys would have been so proud of me. I told the clerk I was wanting a sawzall. With that funny expression I've grown accustomed to here lately, he asked, "Do you know what kind you want?"
I said I've been looking at the Dewalt and then told him what I wanted it for. He stopped dead in his tracks, said he never used that saw for tree trimming, that he uses a 'battery' chain saw. I told him I had considered that, and other options (now that's an understatement). He looked disappointed so I said ,"Okay. Let me see what they look like."
Well, he even seemed a bit surprised by the price of $350. Then he showed me the Jawsaw. :p

I told him I was going to stick with the sawzall for what I'm working on now, and when I get to the larger stuff, I plan on buying the Stihl MS180C easystart.
At that point, I think he realized my mind was made up.
Then he helped me gather the ear plugs, safety glasses, gloves and blades... he tried to sell me the wrong blades and I questiond him on that.
He handed me the wood blades. I told him I needed the blades for pruning. He said this was them. I said, no they're not. The ones I want have much larger and irregular teeth. He finally spotted the P&C pruning blades. And I said, "That's what I need." :yes:

So here's what I got.
After I unload my mulch, I'm going to open the box, read the instructions, and charge the batteries!!!
Woo Hoo!
DSC01655.JPG

Oh, btw, all of this, along with a large jug of Round-up, was right at $250. Not bad.
I even got a circular saw and a drill that I didn't know I needed!:dancing:

And so it begins......

Yes, no chance to turn back now, good idea is to start planning new tool shed, when that is finished there will be more tools than will fit into new shed, that is how it works :D

I did not start building shed enough early, so I have adopted storage system from nature, there are different layers that store stuff from different times, same way that in nature there are different layers of fossils stored in sedimentary rock.

okay. I'm armed and dangerous now!:D

You guys would have been so proud of me. I told the clerk I was wanting a sawzall. With that funny expression I've grown accustomed to here lately, he asked, "Do you know what kind you want?"
I said I've been looking at the Dewalt and then told him what I wanted it for. He stopped dead in his tracks, said he never used that saw for tree trimming, that he uses a 'battery' chain saw. I told him I had considered that, and other options (now that's an understatement). He looked disappointed so I said ,"Okay. Let me see what they look like."
Well, he even seemed a bit surprised by the price of $350. Then he showed me the Jawsaw. :p

I told him I was going to stick with the sawzall for what I'm working on now, and when I get to the larger stuff, I plan on buying the Stihl MS180C easystart.
At that point, I think he realized my mind was made up.
Then he helped me gather the ear plugs, safety glasses, gloves and blades... he tried to sell me the wrong blades and I questiond him on that.
He handed me the wood blades. I told him I needed the blades for pruning. He said this was them. I said, no they're not. The ones I want have much larger and irregular teeth. He finally spotted the P&C pruning blades. And I said, "That's what I need." :yes:

So here's what I got.
After I unload my mulch, I'm going to open the box, read the instructions, and charge the batteries!!!
Woo Hoo!
View attachment 509394

Oh, btw, all of this, along with a large jug of Round-up, was right at $250. Not bad.
I even got a circular saw and a drill that I didn't know I needed!:dancing:
Nice score. I have the 20 volt pack of tools (non lithium) just like these and they are well made. I've never had a problem with Poter Cable tools.

Nice score. I have the 20 volt pack of tools (non lithium) just like these and they are well made. I've never had a problem with Poter Cable tools.
I had the P&C blades on my shopping list and the Dewalt saw, but when I saw the price of the P&C saw kit, compared to the Dewalt, and thinking if the blades are good the saw must be also, I decided to go with the P&C saw/set.

Going to open the box now. :dancing::happybanana::happy:. I feel so giddy! :p
Thanks, sincerely, for all the help.

I had the P&C blades on my shopping list and the Dewalt saw, but when I saw the price of the P&C saw kit, compared to the Dewalt, and thinking if the blades are good the saw must be also, I decided to go with the P&C saw/set.

Going to open the box now. :dancing::happybanana::happy:. I feel so giddy! :p
Thanks, sincerely, for all the help.
Congrats on the purchase, I learned something here. I didn't know they made pruning blades for sawzalls. which I never looked for one either. you bought a good brand too.

Latest posts

Back