Advice on which saw to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake B

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get some advice on what would be the best petrol chainsaw for me to look at buying.

I recently got a hold of an old Sachs-Dolmar 120 which I've fixed to working condition. It's a lovely saw but a bit too heavy for me, I'm probably going to sell it and buy something lighter and probably more modern.

My situation is probably a budget of NZ$200-$400, main points is it needs to be light, probably a 16' bar but not really important, I'll be using it mainly for firewood and chopping some pine logs roughly 1 foot diameter.
Need something sturdy.
Any advice is greatly appreciated and welcome.

Thanks,

Jake

I looked at husqvarna and stihl in NZ money. Are you willing to buy used?

For Stihls, I really like the ms250. If it's a bit heavy the ms170 is enough saw for most people. You can get a new ms170 or 180 within your budget. It should be said that a used 260/026 is always a great saw, you can probably find one.

As for Husqvarna (Jonsered) my best selling saw to home users is the 2252/445. Brilliant thing, but may be hard to find used yet.

there's a deal here for new huskys 236e for only $250
probably fit the bill for what you want, and a bit more than half the weight of your dolmar
dunno if you receive the same deal there, i know everything is priced higher in NZ

http://www.husqvarna.com/au/product...m_medium=Search&utm_campaign=236eSpecialPrice

lol, i bought a sm 180c stihl very cheap i'm going to flip, it's all very well with the technology they incorporate for home owner saws, but geez they're built cheap

@tkwl - thanks for the tips, I'm ok with buying used but I'd prefer to buy new just for the warranty and security it's all present and correct.

@warsaw - Damn I wish that husky deal extended to NZ that looks perfect.
Yeah that's my main concern is that in buying the entry level even from the good/well known brands I'll end up with something really weakly put together

Hello everyone,
Thank you for all your advice. Comparing new to used prices I decided to hold out for something used and finally found one yesterday.
Stihl 025 with new carb and chain, snagged it for NZD$300. I hope I didn't over pay.
The add to have a look at it is below.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1314102166

Thanks very much for all your help.

Latest posts

Back