Advice required re small engine repairs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mingara

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all

this is not about a chainsaw but I think it is a similar type of engine that I need advice about.
I bought a new two stroke 'Talon' brush cutter recently with all of the attachments for line cutting a brush cutting. A relative of mine was assisting me by using it and had to refuel it. Unfortunately the fuel he used was straight petrol :cry: instead of oil/petro mix and now the engine has seized. The machine has done about 1 hours work and I need to know if it is worth trying to repair it or throwing it away and buying another.

I have removed the exhaust from the engine and can see where the side of the piston has been scored.

Any advice please as to whether it is worth pulling the engine apart.

Thanks

Jim

raw gas

pull the jug and check to see how bad the jug is (might get lucky) and need a piston only. unfortunatly most that i have seen ruins the bearings so a top end will not hold:jawdrop: since he run it till it siezed don't sound good. it would be a toss up if it needed a cylinder kit or simply scrap it out:angry2:

Mingara said:
Hi all

this is not about a chainsaw but I think it is a similar type of engine that I need advice about.
I bought a new two stroke 'Talon' brush cutter recently with all of the attachments for line cutting a brush cutting. A relative of mine was assisting me by using it and had to refuel it. Unfortunately the fuel he used was straight petrol :cry: instead of oil/petro mix and now the engine has seized. The machine has done about 1 hours work and I need to know if it is worth trying to repair it or throwing it away and buying another.

I have removed the exhaust from the engine and can see where the side of the piston has been scored.

Any advice please as to whether it is worth pulling the engine apart.

Thanks

Jim

Opppppppppppps, sounds like a boo boo there. Worth fixing, heck yes. Only done hour worth of work, heck its still new. Easiest way to fix it is get a new short block and install it yourself. Seems you already know about scored pistons and such so no doult you could repair it yourself. Do it.............

The biggest issue in trying to fix it is likely going to be getting the parts. Since it is an "off brand", dealer and parts support tends to be weak. If you can get the parts, and do the work yourself, then yes its worth fixing. If you can't get parts, or have to pay a shop to work on it, then you may be better to find something else. With any luck, the cylinder can be cleaned up, and it will only need a piston and rings. Get it running, use it til it dies, and then pitch it and get something else, preferably something with better build quality and parts support.

Thanks for the information provided fellas

Yep

I think the main problem is to locate and price the parts to repair the engine. It may be as already said that the cost and availabilty of the parts is the stumbling block, but I will shop around a little to see what I can find.

Does anyone know if the piston and ring etc in the machine would be generic or do I need to try and find a 'Talon' dealer who sells Talon spare parts. I am not sure we have any 'Talon' dealers as such as they are only stocked by department stores here. If it is the case that I can't use generic parts then I will probably have to toss it as well as the auxilliary parts I bought with it, as I will buy upmarket as suggested.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back