Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemckenzie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good day all from Canada. Looking for advice on a used saw for weekly cutting of firewood. 80/20 (hardwood/softwood)

Ahh here can you give us a little info, are you scrounging or felling are you cutting hard wood or soft wood what size are you looking at 4" or 4'.................................................................................................

Looking for some advice as to what brand of saw to buy, used. I plan on cutting 12"-16" circumference stumps into quarters by 16" long. I'd say 80% of my wood will be hardwood and the remainder being softwood (same sizes). Thanks

Looking for some advice as to what brand of saw to buy, used. I plan on cutting 12"-16" circumference stumps into quarters by 16" long. I'd say 80% of my wood will be hardwood and the remainder being softwood (same sizes). Thanks
Circumference? or diameter? Why would you noodle (cut into quarters) rather than split?

Circumference? or diameter? Why would you noodle (cut into quarters) rather than split?
Very new to this. With a new cottage comes new challenges and tools. Firewood is too costly when I have time to break it down on my own, I want to learn this trait as well. It will also give me something new to pass along to my kids.

Just curious why you would noddle rounds that small if I’m understanding correctly. How much experience do you have running a saw?
I'm new to this and always looking to learn new things at all times. I never settle for less and always open to new learnings.

Be careful and don't hurt yourself.

It sounds like you've never split wood or used any chainsaw?

I was running chainsaws and splitting just out of grade school. My father and uncles taught me. Grandma on the woodstove when I was 5 or 6 operation/fires.

Best advice is get a mentor to show you/learn from.

Go to your nearest dealer. Ask about the service department. And buy the best chainsaw you can afford. They can steer you in the right direction. And get safety equipment.

You can get a Echo CS-590 for $420 dollars (USD) can’t buy a better saw in that price range plus it’s got a five year warranty. As mentioned previously, get some safety gear and if possible have an experienced saw user show you the ropes. Running a chainsaw is fun, a trip to the ER (or worse) is not.

I split wood since 7 years old .
Few weeks ago ,now aged 47,I
had my first splitting wood "accident".
A bit tired ,a couple of beers and didn't take long to happen .
The axe was not driven carefully,
but rather in a relaxed big arc ...

These are the SAFETY boots I was wearing that day .Steel sole plate and steel toe cap .

72232215-E06D-4699-8A02-99AEDEF37DF0.jpeg

Just a brief touch of a moving chain from a chainsaw means that
at least 80-90 super sharp steel cutters will pass through flesh and/or bone .Just a brief touch .

Do your market research firstly for
a pair of safety boots ,a pair of safety gloves , ear ,eyes and head protection ( a helmet will cover all three ) and a pair of chainsaw chaps .

Then you can deal with chainsaws
and splitting axes .
3EF8B839-4FB5-47BE-9B85-229F6833C95E.jpeg

Because you stipulated it has to be a used saw, the key piece of information is missing- what is your maximum budget? If you absolutely have to buy a used saw- you're going to be stuck with whatever is available at any given time, which could mean not finding any of the "best" models.

I agree with the above post about the Echo CS590 Timberwolf being the best value. They run about $420 brand new here in America with a 20" bar & chain.

I've been rebuilding small engines for 20 yrs now. From Stihl concrete saws, chainsaws to snowblower and everything between hence the used route. Outside of knowing what I do now from a motors perspective, I want to pickup a saw and prep my own firewood instead of repairing them for friends and neighbors. I work in high voltage switchgear for almost 30 years now and safety is paramount, I have seen ot all over the years. I do appreciate all the transparency. This is a great forum to meet honest people. I'm also glad to see more people wearing the proper PPE @KostasVolos.

You can get a Echo CS-590 for $420 dollars (USD) can’t buy a better saw in that price range plus it’s got a five year warranty. As mentioned previously, get some safety gear and if possible have an experienced saw user show you the ropes. Running a chainsaw is fun, a trip to the ER (or worse) is not.
To add to that Echo has the best warranty to deal with and has a lifetime warranty on all their coils in all their products.

For a used saw for a first time user, I would suggest a 45-55 cc saw like a Stihl 025/250, Husqvarna 50, Stihl 024, Stihl 028 and there are hundreds of other good choices. A good used Husky 353 would be ideal ,but a bit pricey.

Back