Advise needed on a new Stihl 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipmc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Haven't been here in awhile, (got side tracked with life) anyways I plan on buying a new Stihl 290 from the local dealer in a week or 2. Plan on getting it with a 16" bar but can not decide if I should get 3/8 or stick with the .325 pitch chain. I already have a Johnsered 2071 Turbo with a 20" bar 3/8 pitch and a little echo 280 (i think) with a 14". Both of these saws are either to little or way to big. I want a "GO TO" saw so the Stihl 290 is perfect. The tree's/logs we buck up arn't very big, maybe the size of a normal mans thigh. So any advise on what chain to get ?

Stay with the .063 x .325 chain on the MS290. Assuming your dealer still has some on the shelf (new old stock I mean). The series number now is MS291 and it's a bit different is design and in price. Happy Sawing!

The MS 290 is still in production and I would recomend staying with the .325 pitch chain. I think that the 3/8 pitch pulls to much power out of the MS 290.

Thanks for the advise so far. I guess it looks like ill stick with the .325 pitch chain. As long as its not safety chain I should be happy. I have always wanted a new stihl saw, just never had the reason to buy 1. Now with the double warranty with the purchase of a 6 pack of oil and a tax return right around the corner, I cant think of a better reason. I will probably get the stihl Ultra first for the break in period then switch to the normal stihl brand after that 6 pack is used up. And yes I know to use High octane non ethanol gas

Last edited:
I just picked up a 290 this week. I got it with a 18" bar and 3/8 chain. The few cuts I have made on oak rounds has been fine and its not broken in yet so should get stronger. My dealer told me he sets most 290s up with 3/8. Anyways I will know more about the saw after the weekend. I got my dealer to throw in 2 extra chains for free so see what you can get out of them.

I've got the 18" bar and .325 chain on my MS290 and it makes a good combination. The Stihl Ultra is good stuff. I feel that it worth the extra $10 a six pack to continue using it in all of my saws.

My 290 uses a 16" bar and 3/8 chain,that's the way the dealer sets them all up.Seems just fine,even before I opened the muffler.

I have tried every combination on these. 3/8" cuts OK on a stock 46mm machine, but .325 is more efficient and seems to cut faster. The ideal setup in my book is .325 yellow chain driven by an 8 pin sprocket on an 18" bar. This is a perfect firewood combination IMO. A simple muffler mod will make it pull the 8 pin with more authority. If dealers are setting up 290's with 3/8", it is for their own reasons, and nothing scientific. Stihl has done alot of testing on these when they suggest what chains to use. When you get up to the 390's, the 3/8" is really more appropriate. If I were buying a saw with found (tax return) money, I'd just go for the 291 instead. I handled a 271 the other day, and it seems to be very well thought out. All of the traditional guys are afraid of stratos..... until they try one. Same as landscapers and 4-mix trimmers.

Two things I would recommend. One, have the dealer install a rim sprocket - with a rim you can much more easly try both the .325 and the .375 chain. I have a 310 (same family of saw)and have run .375 chain since it was new. The suggestion about opening up the muffler is one to think about. It really makes a difference.

Hal

Two things I would recommend. One, have the dealer install a rim sprocket - with a rim you can much more easly try both the .325 and the .375 chain. I have a 310 (same family of saw)and have run .375 chain since it was new. The suggestion about opening up the muffler is one to think about. It really makes a difference.

Hal
Yes I fully agree with my friend Hal. Open up that muffler most definately. Did it to my brothers 029 and my 310. They are like different saws now. Real easy to do. Take you 20 minutes.

My 290 is running a 20" with .325 yellow. did the muffler mod and it helped it out quite a bit. Just got a 7 tooth rim sprocket for it so it will help with those 24"+ trees I come across
really helps it pull that 20" B/C

I would stick with the .325 unless you already have a stock pile of chains from your other saws that you could use on the 290, then it would make sense investment wise to go 3/8.

Iv modded mufflers on older saws already out of warranty but this will be my first NEW saw with a warranty. Will doing muffler mod void it ?

3/8

i run a 20" bar with 3/8 yellow chain on my 290 and it cuts just fine when burried. my dealer either sets them up with 20" or 25" bars.

So I checked my bank account this morning, low and behold uncle sam came through early. Sitting in there was my tax return. So come Monday, I am off to the local Stihl Dealer to get my 290. Wanted to get it today but couldn't get off work in time. So first thing Monday morning it is!

Yes it will void the warranty if you do a muffler mod to it since you will also have to pull the limiter caps on the carb to adjust the H screw. If you can stand it then wait until the warranty is out then do the mod or like some have suggested buy another stock muffler to switch back to if warranty work needed.

Latest posts

Back