Aftermarket cylinder testers needed, Reduced price for your opinion and comments!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my P/C today, likely in the schedule next week. Something else came by mail today that really has my attention.

I did open the package, as it had a hole in the box, Nothing hurt. There will be a video before I remove the wrapping. Pictures, at least.

Randy and Henry have sent me several different brands and configurations to test, here's one that will not cut it.

026_zps1ec39e90.jpg

Before I posted this pic I asked Randy what he wanted to do with this kit......his answer? He said let's show it to the members and let them know what we found out. I like your style Sir. :bowdown:

So.....this is the Mako 066BB kit. It free ports at TDC really badly. It's not something I would use, and would recommend that you guys avoid as well......for now. This is the sort of feedback we need to help these kits improve.

The ports look fair, but the plating is really nice. It goes all the way to the top with no gap at the top of the bore......makes me wonder how they got everything right but missed that it free ports .060"

More pics of that jug.....

CylinderCompro009_zpsf5700b05.jpg

CylinderCompro008_zps6567e15d.jpg

CylinderCompro007_zpsa41763b6.jpg

CylinderCompro006_zpsf96164d0.jpg

I'm wanting to see some of the other Mako kits to see if this is just an oversight on the 066BB. In the meantime they will be contacted about this issue.

Here's those pics Randy

Here's those pics Randy

I'd like to say that because of your efforts in showing this kit the way you did and that it had problems. Your expert examination and exact report of why... the supplier has discontinued sales! The Engineer had nothing to say but good things and said your assessment was spot on and called you an expert in chainsaw engineering!!!

Here we go... you'll never be the same again :msp_smile:

You did a nice job Randy, I appreciate what you do everyday, I'm hoisting an iced tea to you my friend.

You Sir ARE making a difference!!
Randy

Last edited:
No offense, but the guy who didn't know enough to know that the free porting was bad is the same guy who deemed you an expert. :D

I said the supplier pulled them. They will be sent back the the manufacturer and told there crap and why because of Mr Big Head. Different guy, bigger head maybe?

What wouldn't surprise me was that they measured the cylinder and never really put it on a saw or had there eyes open, they are kind of squinty I believe.

Should I be worried?

Yes and no. Casting looks good. Plating, what I can see, looks good. But there is a rattle or squeak from the package; pistons should not move in the mail. I want to document it in case its scraped or scuffed. It is wrapped inside the cylinder, so maybe not a problem. Rings are on the way, correct?

Latest posts

Back