Again, In need of advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking to get another bigger saw, (biggest one i got is a 61 that doesn't run)
Stihl:
036 pro
360 pro
362 pro

which saw?

Between those 3 I suppose it really comes down to what you're trying to do & what your budget is. The 362 will be more comfortable (better AV) and probably smoother, but the 036 will have more grunt & probably can be had for way less money.

What's your budget & intended use?

I'm looking to get another bigger saw, (biggest one i got is a 61 that doesn't run)
Stihl:
036 pro
360 pro
362 pro

which saw?

Honestly, I liked my 361 as much as I liked my 362. (have neither now). But I think if I found a better-than-average condition 361, I would go that route. 362 is a good saw, but you are going to be in a completely different price range than with the first two. I think for the little bit more you would pay, it would be worth getting the 361. 036 to 360 are going to be pretty close performance wise assuming condition is the same. Price won't be much different assuming condition is the same as well.

What saws do you currently have? Maybe time to hit the wish list?

Between those 3 I suppose it really comes down to what you're trying to do & what your budget is. The 362 will be more comfortable (better AV) and probably smoother, but the 036 will have more grunt & probably can be had for way less money.

What's your budget & intended use?

Rough lonngg use, All day kinda saw, I am young so AV is not really a concern, Neither is weight, I just need a powerful saw that'll pull a 20" with power, and a 24-25" bar for the occasional use.
I want one of those three (narrowed my bugdet scale and need of use to these, (a good pro saw that will see all day use, but may stay in the stable for months at a time)
I guess it's down to the point where i can't choose one of the bunch, so I'll buy the first in good condition one i can find.

OR
If someone has or know's of a saw in that CC catagory, that is nice, I'll consider them too.

Rough lonngg use, All day kinda saw, I am young so AV is not really a concern, Neither is weight, I just need a powerful saw that'll pull a 20" with power, and a 24-25" bar for the occasional use.
I want one of those three (narrowed my bugdet scale and need of use to these, (a good pro saw that will see all day use, but may stay in the stable for months at a time)
I guess it's down to the point where i can't choose one of the bunch, so I'll buy the first in good condition one i can find.

AV should be a concern, regardless of your age because it will take its toll over time. That said, all 3 of your choices have good AV - the newer ones are just a little better, so I wouldnt call it a deal breaker either way.

Any of those three should serve you well for what you're asking. I think you'll be able to find a better deal on an 036 than the other 2 just because of the age though.

OR
If someone has or know's of a saw in that CC catagory, that is nice, I'll consider them too.

In that range Id definitely recommend a dolmar (or makita) 6400. The beauty of this saw is that right out of the box its going to be a close match for the stihls - but - if at some point down the road you decide you dont need a 64cc saw (or want a bigger one) it can be upgraded to 84cc for only $100 with the big bore kit. Its a hell of a deal & much more flexible than most other options out there.

I am not sure how easily you would find one locally, but online there are 6400s to be had.

Good luck.

Depending on price. I'll look into the 6400, but my problem is the ONLY local dealer around here is a STIHL dealer (plus I do love cream sickles) So i'll keep the dolmar in thought.

Anyone know of a place to find an 036 pro? lol

Depending on price. I'll look into the 6400, but my problem is the ONLY local dealer around here is a STIHL dealer (plus I do love cream sickles) So i'll keep the dolmar in thought.

Yeah, if you're not planning on doing your own work, then dealer support is a huge part of the decision making process.

And certainly, brand history is always a factor. You may have other parts, bars and chains etc that would make staying with Stihl a good plan. ;)

Anyone know of a place to find an 036 pro? lol

Try searchtempest: searchtempest.com It allows you to search for a saw within a certain mileage of you. (Its simply an automated Craigslist searcher that will do multiple CL searches at once).

Good luck.

I'll take a 362. I have a 361 and I'll even take it over the 036 if not for anything else, just the antivibe. People talk on here like an 036 will jerk a knot in a 362 or 361. Thats hilarious. You run a 361 against an 036 and you might see a half second difference in a 20" peice of wood. And an 036 definety will not outpull a 362. On the contrary, a 362 has quite a bit more grunt than a 361 or 036. Anyone who says different has not ran one thats well broken in. I've ran them all quite extensively also. an 036 is just a 361 without good AV. Theres no difference in weight or anything else worth mentioning.
So I guess if you like old school, get an 036. :laugh:

I'll take a 362. I have a 361 and I'll even take it over the 036 if not for anything else, just the antivibe. People talk on here like an 036 will jerk a knot in a 362 or 361. Thats hilarious. You run a 361 against an 036 and you might see a half second difference in a 20" peice of wood. And an 036 definety will not outpull a 362. On the contrary, a 362 has quite a bit more grunt than a 361 or 036. Anyone who says different has not ran one thats well broken in. I've ran them all quite extensively also. an 036 is just a 361 without good AV. Theres no difference in weight or anything else worth mentioning.
So I guess if you like old school, get an 036. :laugh:

LMAO!! Ya got me there. I just assumed anything "0" would out do anything new.........oh well!

Latest posts

Back