Air filter cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on whats handy. If I'm in my shop, I ain't got no fancy warm soapy water. Air from a distance, or brake cleaner, or starting fluid, even used some mens cologne once, that WD 40 stuff that the women swoon over. If I'm at the repair shop, they'll probaly get the both of them. Antique flocked ones get the kid gloved treatment, maybe a rinse, maybe brake cleaner, the nylon ones I almost always wash with water cause thats the easiest. Easy on me, easy on them.

If I have it available I do use compressed air on air filters but instead of aiming it direct at the surface (which can just bury dust particles deeper into the filter media) I aim the flow at right angles or across the surface. This creates a bernoulli effect (low pressure at right angles to air flow) which gently pulls the dust off the filter.

Precisely Bob. I always try to use about a 45° angle when blowing filters and don't get too close.
Funnily enough after using the method you describe, even if you split the filter (like the standard Dolmar filters) you will not remove anymore dust etc even if you blow from the inside out.

I blow of my filters with compressed air as Bob stated. After half a doz of those I soak it in detergent for a day or two. My 371 filter is 13-14 yrs old and still filters better than the low hour 385 and 395 filters.

BTW I bought one of those aftermarket filters from Bailey's as I converted the 365 to a high top and it's filtering as good as the OEM 371 filter! :)

Latest posts

Back