AKDoug's firewood setup..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKDoug

Pro Staff
Reaction score
In another thread over in the "chainsaw" section somebody wanted to hear about my OWB and firewood setup for my 11,500 sqft hardware store/ tool rental business. It's -20F and we aren't cutting wood today and we won't be again until after New Years, but I thought a few photos might explain how we do things. Since I burn 30 cords a year, I never seem to get ahead on wood. I try to have everything done a year in advance, but it rarely happens. Building a building that would be large enough to hold the wood and hold the snow load really isn't in the financial cards for me.

We palletize everything so that it's easy for me to move to the boiler by my employees. The employees and I have an agreement. They feed the boiler and I supply the wood to feed it. This means that myself and my son's teenage buddies do the majority of the work. I pay the boys (and one girl) by the pallet. The harder they work, the more money they make.

I order birch logs by the truckload (self-loader) about 9 cords at a time. We then take the mini-ex and fish them off the pile and hold them up with the thumb to buck. Two cutters work at the same time from each end of the log and work towards the middle. It's extremely fast and clean this way. Chains last forever and it's the most fuel efficient way to go. We cut for a complete tank of fuel, then switch to splitting and stacking.

The wood is split by hand most of the time. The four of us swinging a splitting axe can outrun a hydraulic splitter by a substantial margin, even our fast cycle Iron and Oak that I rent out. We prefer the Stihl PA80 mauls and Fiskar Super Splitter with the 36" handle. We place a standard 42" x 48" pallet in those racks (I get pallets for free) and then stack the wood on them. We use banding and scrap 1x4's (we recycle the 1x4s several times) to hold the pallets together. Without the 1x4's the pallets just turn into a round ball.

The mini-ex shown in the pictures will pick up a 16" x 40' birch log with little trouble. What is left in the photo is the pecker poles left over after we finished processing three log truck loads. I rent that machine to many people that cut their wood the same way I do. No back breaking bending over and you keep your chains out of the rocks. If you are motivated you can buck one of those 9 cord log truck loads in one day easy.

Anyhow, I will update this thread in the future showing our process in more detail.

Interesting. At first I thought that you were pelletizing the wood... with an e, and not palletizing, as in CS&S. Pictures cleared that up. Birch will rot here if I do not split it fast. The bark is virtually waterproof. I had an OWB here for some years, but my ex has it and they have outlawed any new ones here in OR and WA. I have my wood here on pallets pretty much the same way that you do, but I do not move them around and they are 3 deep. I also have 2x4 stringers at the top running from the side 'stakes' instead of the fiberglass tape. I also have to keep them covered with tarps or they will never dry here.

Very nice Doug. Thanks for the post! Very cool and interesting!

Ballpark what does a truckload cost? Just curious on pricing up there versus down here.

Sweet!! Impressive and efficient.
Spent some time in AK. Seasonal commercial fishing 90-91 while in college. Fished out of Ninilchik and King Salmon. Two different fisheries. Halibut first (24hr long line fishery), then netting in Bristol Bay for the salmon.

Thats a very nice set-up ! Doing it that way takes a lot of the grunt work out..........when its time to feed the stove anyhow ! Great system !!

Very nice Doug. Thanks for the post! Very cool and interesting!

Ballpark what does a truckload cost? Just curious on pricing up there versus down here.
They are running $1400 a load right now. The operator and I are friends, so I can get ones cheaper if they are close to my place. Right now, loads are coming from 60 miles away.

Interesting. At first I thought that you were pelletizing the wood... with an e, and not palletizing, as in CS&S. Pictures cleared that up. Birch will rot here if I do not split it fast. The bark is virtually waterproof. I had an OWB here for some years, but my ex has it and they have outlawed any new ones here in OR and WA. I have my wood here on pallets pretty much the same way that you do, but I do not move them around and they are 3 deep. I also have 2x4 stringers at the top running from the side 'stakes' instead of the fiberglass tape. I also have to keep them covered with tarps or they will never dry here.

That's the big reason I spilt windthrown, that **** never dries unless I do. We have 1/4 the rain the NW gets, so the wood gets dried enough for my use. My mom's side of the family is from the Port Angeles area, so I understand the rain :D

Not sure why I got a dislike from cheese cutter ;)

They are running $1400 a load right now. The operator and I are friends, so I can get ones cheaper if they are close to my place. Right now, loads are coming from 60 miles away.

That's the big reason I spilt windthrown, that **** never dries unless I do. We have 1/4 the rain the NW gets, so the wood gets dried enough for my use. My mom's side of the family is from the Port Angeles area, so I understand the rain :D

Not sure why I got a dislike from cheese cutter ;)
That's awesome. If it weren't for labor and other input costs then that sounds extremely cheap for heating the square footage you are heating in the cold environment you are in. I'm sure the labor and other inputs besides the truck loads add up pretty good though.

Well, he's a cheesecutter... what can you expect?

As for the price of logs... ouch! I know birch, cottonwood, spruce and alder is about all you have up there, but... I can get a logging truckload of oak or maple here for 12-1300 a load. I think that is insane, and my neighbors buy their wood that way. They are 3+ MBF, or about 10 cords green, more like 9 cords once they are split and dry. Maple is not worth it, but oak is. I would by madrone if I could get it that way, but no one sells it by the truckload here. I can get 3 cord dumptruck loads of mill ends delivered here for $300. Its all Doug fir and some hemlock, which is good for fire wood.

AKDoug,

Where are you in AK? Interior, Western, SE? You know Homer? Bush Country?

Last edited:
Where are you in Alaska?
Talkeetna, about 100 miles north of Anchorage.
That's awesome. If it weren't for labor and other input costs then that sounds extremely cheap for heating the square footage you are heating in the cold environment you are in. I'm sure the labor and other inputs besides the truck loads add up pretty good though.
After 6 years of doing it I have pretty good data on how well it works. 1 cord = 100 gallons of heating fuel almost perfectly in my system. By the time I'm done, I am at $200 a cord for the wood. I could buy it for that, but I'd still have to put it on the pallets. Heating fuel is $3.64 a gallon right now. My wood works out to about $2.00 a gallon.
Well, he's a cheesecutter... what can you expect?

As for the price of logs... ouch! I know birch, cottonwood, spruce and alder is about all you have up there, but... I can get a logging truckload of oak or maple here for 12-1300 a load. I think that is insane, and my neighbors buy their wood that way. They are 3+ MBF, or about 10 cords green, more like 9 cords once they are split and dry. Maple is not worth it, but oak is. I would by madrone if I could get it that way, but no one sells it by the truckload here. I can get 3 cord dumptruck loads of mill ends delivered here for $300. Its all Doug fir and some hemlock, which is good for fire wood.
This is on a logging self loader that he bought out of Washington. He runs them heavy. No way he'd make it across the scales with what he hauls, but there are no scales between the source and my place. Birch is our only choice. Alder is a bush up here and cottonwood sucks for firewood. Spruce burns hot, but it won't hold a fire long enough.
That's what I thought. LOL!! I call BS.
BS on what?

BS on what?

I guess he thinks you are not really in Alaska? I dunno... :confused: Maybe he had too many beers and had a VT brain fart.

Heavy loads. Yah, I see a few of them roll past my house here. I am on the edge of the Mt Hood National forest here. I am waiting for one of the heavies to take out the bridge into here. I also know that the larch is gone there, and that birch is it... and you are way farther north than I thought. A stone's throw to Denali. I figured you were down by Juneau. I know a few guys around Palmer on some other forums. Same situation with birch there.

Talkeetna? OK. Been a few years since I passed thru that area. Had a little extra time on my second Spring/Summer in AK, and hitch hiked up to Denali with my 70# pack. Lots of stories just on that leg alone. Had a job lined up already on a 32' gill netter out of King Salmon. No need to go boat to boat to boat looking for work that year.
Nice country there. One of the things I don't miss are those darn white sox. They're like a VT black fly on roids. Nasty critters.
Awesome set-up you have there for processing/burning firewood. Sorry to get off topic. I'll PM you to talk about more detailed AK stuff.

Back