ALAP question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
What trees are predisposed to germinating from their root structure?
You mean sprouting from the roots? Black locust for sure, Mallottia like crazy, many Populus.
Soil conditions play a part; if they're hard the roots are forced near the surface they'll more likely sprout. that's my theory anyway.

Advocatus pro arborae;)

I was asked this question and I wasn't sure how to reply. I know you can ALAP a sycamore or a magnolia, and most of the time it will come back from the stump. But I'm not too sure about them germinating from the roots.

But this question was specifically about sycamores.

Oh, as low as possible, ALAP, I gets itnaow!

I'd call that coppicing.

Re your ??????????, dunno, never saw asycamore regrow from the roots, but I've seen them send up small trunks when the original trunk declined, so I'd say yeah probably, specially if the roots were kept juicy.

I think the person was worried about trees popping up from having the original tree removed. I dunno.

TCM, feel free to join in!:blob2:

Guy, you didn't know what ALAP meant? :dizzy:

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Guy, you didn't know what ALAP meant? :dizzy:

mb my biz is to make trees grow, not to make stumps low. I do so few removals anymore, ALAP sounded like what you make when you sit.

Nick's link affirms that the older the tree the less likely it is to come back.

ALAP is a common term on work orders...

ex.

"Remove marked pine in front, BC/WR/S-ALAP"

BC- brush chipped
WR- wood removed
S-ALAP- Stump as low as practical

I was the originator of this question...

We have a seedless cottonwood tree in our yard. Several new cottonwoods have sprung up in an unvegetated area about 20 feet from the tree.

My father in law was visiting last weekend and commented on these trees. I said they must have come from a stand of regular cottonwoods that grow just outside the neighborhood; he said they sprouted from the root structure of the tree in our back yard.

I'm skeptical of his explanation.

He may very well be right. In fact, their entire genus is known for that ability. With aspen, you can clearcut a stand every 10 years for fuelwood just from the re-growth off the stumps and roots. According to the Forest Service, though, that ability is limited in cottonwoods. But in my experience, I've seen them sprout from roots in lawns before.

From the USFS:
Vegetative Reproduction- Satisfactory sprouting has occurred on low-cut stumps of trees as old as 25 years of age (22). Reproduction by root suckers is not common. Artificial propagation of the species normally involves use of cuttings from 1-year stem growth from nursery trees (23). These may or may not be rooted before outplanting.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/populus/deltoides.htm
Table of Contents: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/vol2_Table_of_contents.htm

Could a person determine the rate at which CODIT occurs assuming that these sprouts appeared shortly after the trunk was damaged? It's nice to see this tree healing itself but I'm pretty sure the tree will die before the wound is closed. This is assuming that these are original sprouts from within the same time frame and I'm guessing they are 10-15 years old. It's not often that I've seen people allow this shoot growth to remain on a tree in the middle of the yard. Any guesses on when one of these buggers is going to rip off opening another glorious wound?

Originally posted by matthias
Could a person determine the rate at which CODIT occurs assuming that these sprouts appeared shortly after the trunk was damaged?
Are you asking how quickly the tree is responding to the injury? Or how quickly it is closing over the wound? Trees respond immediately to wounds, but what they are able to do and the timeframe they complete it in is a function of the health, vigor, and vitality of the tree. Some species are better at it than others, and healthier trees are in a far better position than stressed trees.

I think the most informative way to find out about the state of that tree is to cut it down and dissect it. :D Short of that, you can use a Resistograph to drill in and get a picture of what's happening inside. The tool is made by Rinntech (http://www.rinntech.com).

Did this a couple weeks ago to justify a removal. I was able to defend what we did quite well by pointing to the decay that we found from drilling in several locations. Just another tool in the arsenal, I guess...

Originally posted by matthias
Any guesses on when one of these buggers is going to rip off opening another glorious wound?
Maybe never. In ISA's Hazard Eval book, the authors note that if a sprout forms a buttress it is a lot more stable. The sprouts in your pic are well--buttressed, so I'd be inclined to leave em.

Of course, if the branches sprawl, a few light, judicious reduction cuts at the tips may increase stability substantially.;)

These lower branches can often stay. No cut without a reason...

"These lower branches can often stay. No cut without a reason..."

As a matter of fact I won't make a single cut on this tree. I just happened to by pulled up beside it with a camera in my hand.

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Did this a couple weeks ago to justify a removal. I was able to defend what we did quite well by pointing to the decay that we found from drilling in several locations. Just another tool in the arsenal, I guess...
One that's overapplied at times, too. What strength loss formula did you use? Did you take into account the increased strength of woundwood?

MD spent ~$7000 for a sibtec, basically a resistograph that gives digital readouts. They analyzed dozens of old trees by the Annapolis waterfront, told the owners of many they were too hollow to stay. the owners resisted removal, hurricane isabel blew through, and they're still all safely standing.

Gizmoes all have their use, but...

O and matthias, I'm glad you took the picture, and gladder to know you're not a giraffe pruner. When you asked when those branches'd tear out, you had me wondering.

I'm just camera happy. The bad part is that all my pictures are 35mm. I take 10 good pictures and then 14 garbage shots just so I can take the film in and get it put on cd. If I had a digital I would be posting pictures like a madman. Maybe that's a good thing...

Now I can't help but post one.:) Here's me practicing some footlocking. The only time I was really happy with my technique is when two utility guys hung around after a line kill to watch how I was going to get in the tree. I was so scared of looking like a fool that I darned near flew up the rope(well, not really but it was still alright.)

Maybe one of you pros can tell me exactly where one foot ends up on the other. I'm sure there's different ideas but I guess all I can do is practice.

Latest posts

Back