All time worst chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The prices of the Echo are still affordable anyway and the quality is there so its not much need for a China equivalent.
I've been very pleased with my Echos other than blowing out the air breathers every other use.

I just was given a Poulan PL3816 by my brother -in-law, who is unable to use it due to severe back problems. It probably has less than an hour on it. It starts OK but runs a bit rough; may need some adjustment. It cuts OK also, but is supplied with a skip-tooth chain, which seems odd for a 16" bar. I plan to sell it and give the proceeds to his daughter, who is in bad financial shape. I figure it is worth about $80. Any comments?

I just was given a Poulan PL3816 ... I figure it is worth about $80. Any comments?
$80 is a drop in the bucket.

People want a chainsaw that runs. Make sure it starts without too many pulls.
People can't sharpen chain anf view getting a new one as a chore. Needs to be sharp.
It would help if you had a stick to cut when they show up to buy.

That being said, I've had a (well massaged) Wild Thang up on CL for $80 with no real interest in a month.
I have 4 of them sitting, ready to go down the road.
Probably gonna end up converting them to ported Hot-Thang toys and sell them that way, race chain and whatnot.
Just to troll them Stihl MS180 Bois :laughing:

$80 is a drop in the bucket.

People want a chainsaw that runs. Make sure it starts without too many pulls.
People can't sharpen chain anf view getting a new one as a chore. Needs to be sharp.
It would help if you had a stick to cut when they show up to buy.

That being said, I've had a (well massaged) Wild Thang up on CL for $80 with no real interest in a month.
I have 4 of them sitting, ready to go down the road.
Probably gonna end up converting them to ported Hot-Thang toys and sell them that way, race chain and whatnot.
Just to troll them Stihl MS180 Bois :laughing:
Though the product has been discontinued, they still have a few for sale on Amazon and Walmart, for $165. So, I figured half price for used. The Wild Thing marketing concept is kind of scary to me. It makes it look like a toy. But even the least powerful saw on the market is no toy. It can shred flesh and bone almost instantly. I imagine that those who spend less than $200 on a chain saw rarely would fork over $100 for chaps and $40 for a good logging helmet.

I've been running Huskys since '82. My first was a worn out 2100cd w/ 36" bar.
Ran that dang saw for 30-years, and my dad handed me his old 394xp that quit on him the last time out, so I re-furb'd that one and used it til Oct of 2022.
In October, I bit the big one and bought me a new 395xp w/ 36" bar.
The new 395xp is made in Brazil. I didn't notice until Aug of this year, that one of the screws in the cover was broke off. Hmm
So, I carefully drill down through the center of the broke-off screw down in the hole.
I inserted an extractor and applied torque. It did not budge. That told me the screw had probably been cross-threaded and fractured on assembly, and the vibration finished it.
I take the saw to the local shop, and find out I had just voided my warranty of 1-year.
My one year was basically up, and was happy to pay the techhie for a threaded insert.
Today's quality sucks. Anyways, i do like my new 395, and use it to cut large digger pine trunk-wood up to 42-inches. Anything larger wood is too much for me now.

I recently was replacing the timing cover on my Ford 460 engine.
Purchased a new timing cover after market as oem are gone for '70's 460's.
I had to carefully chase all threads so the bolts would thread-in properly.
Otherwise the fitment was good. I'm happy.
My early Willys cj jeep buddies are complaining of re-pop China made parts quality.

I have had very good luck with China-made Harbor Freight Predator engines on wood splitters.
I have not yet had the chance to use a Chinese made chainsaw.

Back