Almost done, but need some help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibuskier

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I'm almost done but now I have to figure out a gremlin. This is my first splitter so I am not sure of where to look but I have an idea. I got it all hooked up and full of fluids, started it up, pulled the lever and nothing! I think I have to look at the pump to engine spider gear(?) as I have never done one of these. I think it is 1/2" to 3/8" but I am not sure. Below are some pictures. Comments and suggestions please...

Dave

:givebeer:

:agree2:

If you have the proper valve, there should be 4 ports on it:

High pressure supply, coming from the pump
2 work ports, one feeding each direction of the cylinder
Low pressure return, sends oil back to the filter and tank

Here's a splitter valve, this one is a speeco brand. Inlet is on the side, work ports on top and return on the opposite side:

234844.jpg

If yours only has 2 ports, it's a motor valve, just on/off for running a hydraulic motor.

Last edited:
You haven't got your work ports hooked up. Those allen heads I've pointed out are just plugs. Take those out and hook your cylinder lines up there. -- Ian

attachment.php

Cool! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There were no instructions in the box of parts I got from my father in law and this is what happens when you guess instead of researching.....

Dave
:cheers:

yeah looks like your low side from your valve is going to your cylinder. Depending on your valve the 2 bottom lines are a feed and a return the top 2 ports are the controls for your cyl. There should be a stamp on the valve "IN" "OUT" kinda thing.

kinda like this awsome drawing

splitter058smallnew.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Looks like you're about to be splitting wood!

While you are replumbing it you may want to consider making the valve handle move in the direction of the ram. You might get used to it I suppose, but if someone else were to help you or borrow it you don't want to pinch a finger because it wasn't clear what direction to move it.

While you are replumbing it you may want to consider making the valve handle move in the direction of the ram. You might get used to it I suppose, but if someone else were to help you or borrow it you don't want to pinch a finger because it wasn't clear what direction to move it.

:agree2:

Is there any way to turn the valve 90 degrees on the mounting bracket? If so, do that then hook the lines up so the valve/cylinder go the same way.

Even if you get used to it and know how it works, your mind/body can do weird things and briefly forget when you're panicked because your hand is being smashed.

If my splitter ends up somewhere that I am not, a pinched finger will be the least of the operators worries...:)

Dave

I can't tell from the pictures, but a full size picture of your avatar would sure help me concentrate! :D

If my splitter ends up somewhere that I am not, a pinched finger will be the least of the operators worries...:)

Dave
:agree2: :buttkick:

No doubt about that! My splitter is not exactly OSHA approved so it doesn't go anywhere without me just so nothing like that happens to one of my buddies.

And nice beer holder...

Maybe you already have this, but the return line to the tank should be minimum 1 size bigger than your pressure line...e.g. 3/4 '' pressure line= 1'' return.

Looks really good......nice job:cheers:

OK. I fixed all the connections and the return line is 3/4" now. It seems the Woodruff key for the pump shaft had disappeared?!?!? I need to come up with a #404 Woodruff key. Any ideas on where to get one? I hope I don't have to fab one....

Dave

Well, there's always McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com World's best shopping web site. Rivals Amazon for ease of use. But you won't find them individually...only in large packs. You may have some luck in the specialty drawers at a local hardware store or even the Big Boxes. Depends on if you need a common size or not. I'd try the local HW stores first so you don't have a bag of 50 sitting around...

Luv that beer holder :clap:

Any farm or industrial equipment dealers around? That should be on the shelf at about any of them, it's a fairly common size. Hardware stores will probably have em as well, but the help probably won't know what you're asking for, so it'll be a hunting mission. My little corner gas/convenience/country store with a little bit of everything is likely to have em there. Should be easy enough to find once ya know where to look...

Latest posts

Back