Almost Lost a Saw Yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was cutting down a tree with tops that had broke, but not separated. I misjudged the hinge, and it pinched my saw. It also started falling in a direction that I hadn't planned on. I skedaddled as fast as I could, and was ok, but it fell the direction that I had run. :msp_mellow: Between the hinge and the top pushing at an angle, it let it go in another direction.

I had to abandon the saw :bang:, and run. I came back and the log had pushed the handle into the dirt quite a bit. Amazingly enough the only thing broken was the air filter cover knob. :msp_smile:

0904121621a.jpg

0907121138.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you are ok! Do you have a spotter with you while you are cutting that stuff? If you need help let me know!

Glad you are ok! Do you have a spotter with you while you are cutting that stuff? If you need help let me know!

Thanks, there may be a time where I'll have to take you up on that. If you need a hand, let me know as well. :smile2:

I was over at my parents place. They were spotting, but it happened pretty fast. They hollered, and started to get out of the way. I couldn't really tell where it was going, other than the saw was pinched. So I took my initial exit route at double time. It's a good thing I didn't waste any time. It came down right along where I was running.

Too many odd forces with that one, and not enough time to get out safely.

Next time, I'll cut a thick hinge and pull it over with a come-along.

Never a dull moment. Stay safe out there. :hmm3grin2orange:

It's a good thing the only casualty was your saw. Those duct tape bandaids ought to have it healed up in no time. Be safe out there.

:msp_w00t: your okay thats first and foremost. Saw still runs thats good too.. be safe out there...

Next time, I'll cut a thick hinge and pull it over with a come-along.

Never a dull moment. Stay safe out there. :hmm3grin2orange:

That's my favorite MO with trees I suspect are going to be a problem. I like getting em to go where I want with only wedges, but I also like living. Often, a little pre tension is enough to get em going the way you want and you don't need to actually pull em.

Word of advice: Either have a helper on the comealong, or walk a wide berth between the stump and the comealong if you are working yourself. You don't want the tree coming down unexpectedly on top of you while you're walking over to pull on it.

FWIW, the only saw I squished so far was also a 290. My tree twisted off the stump, turned the bar into a pretzel, then proceeded to smash the front handle and top plastic. It's what landed me here when I was searching for a little how-to when fixing it up.

From your post, maybe you should reconsider your title and retitle it "Almost Lost Me Yesterday While Mom and Pop Watched." A broken top like that can push the tree back your way as you found out and even if it doesn't it can do strange things as the tree falls sending the tree or the top or something else your way. I'm glad you are okay. Ron

Nothing like a balloon knot clencher to get the blood flowing! Now your saw is easily identifiable and has some personalization...wont get lost in a crowd! Glad you are safe.

Nothing like a balloon knot clencher to get the blood flowing! Now your saw is easily identifiable and has some personalization...wont get lost in a crowd! Glad you are safe.

The duct tape does make it stand out. :hmm3grin2orange: I had to use it for the rest of the day, so it was enough to keep the cover on.

I found a new knob on ebay for $6 I'd say that was getting off easy. :msp_unsure:

Glad you did not get damaged..
Any saw can be replaced..
Stay Safe..

Able To Tell It !

Sorry to hear about this but it is good news you are OK. Yep, the duct tape does add some character to a Stihl's appearance.

Nosmo

Broken tops tend to vector forces in unpredictable directions. Around here, big hickories tend to break about 25 feet up and then snag in other trees. The last one I dealt with left my entire crew over 100 yards away. They took one look at what I was doin' and didn't even have to be told to get the h#ll back. It was funny watching them pick their hiding places!

If you are in over your head, sometimes it is better to walk away and select another victim instead. Oh, and there's also the option of calling a professional. I know that I like doing "stop drop and go" jobs and usually price them quite reasonably if there's no climbing involved.

Glad you are OK AND that no Husqvarnas were injured in the fiasco.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Broken tops tend to vector forces in unpredictable directions. Around here, big hickories tend to break about 25 feet up and then snag in other trees. The last one I dealt with left my entire crew over 100 yards away. They took one look at what I was doin' and didn't even have to be told to get the h#ll back. It was funny watching them pick their hiding places!

If you are in over your head, sometimes it is better to walk away and select another victim instead. Oh, and there's also the option of calling a professional. I know that I like doing "stop drop and go" jobs and usually price them quite reasonably if there's no climbing involved.

Glad you are OK AND that no Husqvarnas were injured in the fiasco.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks. It was partly my own fault. I cut away the hinge on one side without realizing it. This is the second tree where I wish I had a bigger bar on my saw. Time to get the the old cinderblock 610 out for the bigger stuff. :hmm3grin2orange:

One of the problems of the fall firewood cutter is you get a bit rusty on your technique. :laugh:

Back