Almost new 372, strange noise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monadnock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a whole 20 min on my new 372 and I'm hearing a strange noise. It's hard to pinpoint but it sounds like its coming from the front of the saw. Sounds somewhat metallic, similar to the clanging you might hear from the pull start assembly. All fasteners are tight and the saw runs OK aside from an odd stumbling now and again when it's in an odd position, but I think the carb may need slight tweakage.

Does this sound like a "normal" sound from a 372?....I know a lot of saws have distinctive trademark sounds but this has me a bit concerned.

Whew,sorry to hear about your new saw.imo it sounds like the muffler and or baffle.at least that's what I hope it is.coming from the front dbl check the muffler,and for kicks under the chain brake.i sure hope its not serious,but if it's new its got a 2 year warranty(at least the huskys we sell are).good luck,John

Whew,sorry to hear about your new saw.imo it sounds like the muffler and or baffle.at least that's what I hope it is.coming from the front dbl check the muffler,and for kicks under the chain brake.i sure hope its not serious,but if it's new its got a 2 year warranty(at least the huskys we sell are).good luck,John

Not sure what the noise can be. Tightened the chain during break in? Lube the needle bearing? Lube the bar nose sprocket?

As far as warranty I thought the XP saws only had a 6 month warranty. I know my dealer said they might start doubling it when you buy the oil/fuel mix when purchasing the saw. The idea being that pro saw would be used enough in the first 6 months to spot any potential problems. That would still only take it out to a year.

If the simple things don't make it go away I'd take it to the dealers and show them so it's documented early for warranty purposes. Keep a log with your own notes, dates and times you took in etc.

Good luck with it and congrats on a great saw!! Love mine:msp_thumbsup::chainsawguy:

I ran it a bit more until I ran out of light. Starting to think it's normal. Both of my other saws have baffled mufflers and, as far as I know, the 372 doesn't. I think I'm just hearing the "different" sound of an un-baffled muffler and the crackles and pops resonate differently.

Hopefully that's what's going on here. I'd think if it was an internal issue, it would have bought the farm by now.

I ran it a bit more until I ran out of light. Starting to think it's normal. Both of my other saws have baffled mufflers and, as far as I know, the 372 doesn't. I think I'm just hearing the "different" sound of an un-baffled muffler and the crackles and pops resonate differently.

Hopefully that's what's going on here. I'd think if it was an internal issue, it would have bought the farm by now.

I had the muffler off my 365XT and there were no baffles. If I understand correctly they're the same saws minus the tranfer plate baffles and hitop air filter. Saw sounds pretty beastly/manly especially after a Muffler Mod.

Thanks for the posts guys. Gonna let the dealer listen to it tomorrow. I'm prepared to get the "you worry too much" look from him...which I'll counter with my "ya, it's an $800 saw" look.

Actually bought the saw over a month ago but with x-mas, work and snow, tree cutting got back burnered. The saw MIGHT have 30 min total on it. They put an RSC chain on it and even though it hasn't seen much wood, it's still razor sharp. Seems to hold up a bit better than an LGX. Love this saw. Can't wait til she drinks down a few gallons of gas. My trees are lucky I'm fat and lazy ;)

Not sure what the noise can be. Tightened the chain during break in? Lube the needle bearing? Lube the bar nose sprocket?

As far as warranty I thought the XP saws only had a 6 month warranty. I know my dealer said they might start doubling it when you buy the oil/fuel mix when purchasing the saw. The idea being that pro saw would be used enough in the first 6 months to spot any potential problems. That would still only take it out to a year.

If the simple things don't make it go away I'd take it to the dealers and show them so it's documented early for warranty purposes. Keep a log with your own notes, dates and times you took in etc.

Good luck with it and congrats on a great saw!! Love mine:msp_thumbsup::chainsawguy:

Everything is lubed up properly. Chain tension still good for a bit. She's still young :) Manual states 2 year warranty but like I said, I'll have him listen to it.

Got a whole 20 min on my new 372 and I'm hearing a strange noise. It's hard to pinpoint but it sounds like its coming from the front of the saw. Sounds somewhat metallic, similar to the clanging you might hear from the pull start assembly. All fasteners are tight and the saw runs OK aside from an odd stumbling now and again when it's in an odd position, but I think the carb may need slight tweakage.

Does this sound like a "normal" sound from a 372?....I know a lot of saws have distinctive trademark sounds but this has me a bit concerned.
If it only does it at idle or when the chain is not moving it could just be normal clutch/drive rim noise. If it does it when the clutch is engaged and under at least a slight load then that is not it.

I almost guarantee you are hearing clutch "ping." Nothing wrong with being concerned, that is a lot of dough on the line- and well worth it for one of the best Huskys ever made (XT or XP) in my opinion.

My 372 has a metal clanging sound when idling from the clutch, which ive narrowed down to just normal rim and washer/e-clip rattling around.

A little off topic, but I noticed your user name.

So......you prefer it over an ASP?

Not sure what you mean, dano. ????? Isn't an asp a dangerous snake?...as seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark? Lol

Last edited:
I suppose it could be the clutch. Like I said, sounds like it's coming from the muffler. I really think it's just the sound of this saw and, being new to me, I just wasn't used to the empty can sound.

The stumbling could have been due to a "paranoia tweak" on the H by me. Pretty sure it has the limited coil and I wanted to be on the safe side on the first couple runs. Turned it back 1/16 turn where the dealer had it set but can't check it in wood til tomorrow. Wouldn't think the H screw would have that effect but who knows.

A little off topic, but I noticed your user name.

So......you prefer it over an ASP?

OK, after a little Google recon, I think you're referring to a self defense weapon.

No, Monadnock is a popular mountain in SW NH, where I live. My ASP says HK on it ;)

i located about the same noise on mine right after i got it and it was the clutch just barely touching the clutch drum

I know the "bell" noise you guys are describing. Its definitely not that. I'll post an update later today. I still thing its just the empty can sound vs my other saws.

Back