Almost ready for winter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Made some headway on stacking the wood and burning the wast.Gonna see how far I get tomorrow splitting whats left and hopefully can score some more for next season.
0917111824a-2.jpg

0917111824b-2.jpg

Made some headway on stacking the wood and burning the wast.Gonna see how far I get tomorrow splitting whats left and hopefully can score some more for next season.
0917111824a-2.jpg

0917111824b-2.jpg

Looking good...:msp_thumbup: Put some cross stacked towers on each end of the row, and you'll get a fair bit more in the stack.

Decent

Real decent pile there man. I'm working on my 2013 wood now, did half a cord yesterday and today. I usually only cut by the "one tank" rule, I'll run one tank out on the saw then stop, gather it up haul it in, stack the small rounds (actually Gf stacks...) or split and stack the smaller stuff right then. Works out OK for what I can carry in the firewood toter, which is 1/4 to roughly 1/3 cord. (cargo box sides two feet high, seven feet wide inside, two stacks deep is 32 inches, leaving me room for all the saws and gear in what would be the last row if it was all filled)

And that toter is that size because I started out with a big oak pallet that size, then built up and around it with pressure treated. Basically a small trailer with no wheels, it rides on the hayforks instead. Real nice gets right down on the ground and the back lifts off, I can flop or roll in whopper rounds easy.

I cut a lot of smaller stuff, smaller than most people cut, so I probably use more fuel per cord cut than most guys, but I have no mess in the fields to deal with when I am done, basically just twigs leftover. So I think that is a fair trade, work for ..less work. I prefer cutting and bringing the wood back than piling it up and burning it or whatever. I cut the wood..I want it in the stack, it'll get burnt..

Never seems to be a lot of work that way, but even just once a week (during heavy mowing season spring summer I skip doing a lot of firewood, too busy) and it adds up real good over the year. Real big stuff that needs to be split (I mean the really big rounds) I just lay to the side, and I handsplit during the week when I feed the dogs, just ten minutes or so. I call that my "woodrobics" workout.

So how much in your piles there and what kind do you mostly get? I've actually never done the pallets on the ground deal for the stacks, I use mostly old pine logs and so on. They rot out in about two years to soft gushy stuff, I rake it up and spread it around the garden and till it in. Then throw fresh pine logs back down. How long do pallets last before they rot out or collapse?

Working about 3 years ahead. So much tree damage around here due to Irene - will be in wood for a long time.
42a82c0a-f8aa-ef64.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Man i just love to see wood getting harvested and put to GOOD USE keep up the GOODWORK!!!:msp_thumbsup:

Thanks for the motivational pics. I got a little stacked and ready to throw in the insert when it is installed. But most of my wood is still in rounds waiting to be split. But we usually don't fire up until mid November.

What you got done looks great!

Today was a good day for doing wood.Cool out about 65 so I wasn't sweating profusely so ended up getting about 2 cord split without breaking a sweat.Another cord or 2 and done for this year.If I score any more this year itl have to sit in rounds till next year.Git er done all.:msp_thumbup:

0917111824a-2.jpg

0917111824b-2.jpg

Nice Stack, Mine is a bit different...
View attachment 199590View attachment 199591
Courtesy of the saws pictured here,... (I've gotta learn how to actually display the photos versus links to them).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back