Alright guys, let me have it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blake, good on you for posting, takes balls and an attitude to want to do the best to open yourself up like this. Your on the right track mate.

We get so caught ported saws, chippers, GRCS's etc that we forget that in such a segmented industry there is often a gap in discussion of how we should be properly treating those big green things that are so important to our lives.

I know your far from the only guy on this site that finds themselves doing work like that, we have all done the odd job we would rather not remember, the important thing is to relise whats the right thing to do. If we were vets we wouldnt do whatever people asked us to, why should arborists?

Again, good on you for posting this.

Good stuff guys, thanks. Cabling was an option I hadn't considered. Feel like an idiot now. I also deserve a kick in the arse because of the sun scald issue. Just did the job last month. Lesson learned.

As far as the Silky's go, the consensus is the Zubat? The main reason I was looking into the Sugoi was for the leg scabbard. I have enough crap 'round my waist when I'm up the tree. The scabbard for the Sugoi work for the Zubat?

Earrings, shmearings. Yeah a bit of a safety issue, I s'pose, but I don't care what a man looks like, it's his skills, attitude and work ethic that count. I'd take my bro over a lot of Joe Clean-cuts that I've met in my days. My old boss ( a very old school guy as well ) was leary when he first met him but after the first 12 hour day my bro put in up in the trees last year he was all smiles and handshakes, "Thanks for coommminnn' out!" with him. To each his own.

Onto the oak. Lots of dead branches, over some serious lines, over a very main road in town. Last tree service ( who actually has a certified arborist on staff ) did the same thing to a different branch a few years back which healed/sealed just fine and recommended removal in the near future. The thing is old and big as heck. So we simply took off the most dangerous branch ( probably could have done a bit less but I hadn't considered it /hand slap/ ) , dead-wooded the top and told her to watch it for more dead and decay because it will probably need to go before too long.

Back to the cabling. What method do you guys use? My ISA study guide seems to recommend the bolting method while my old boss was all about the wrapping method. Seems to me that wrapping would be better for the tree but wth do I know? Pros, cons, finger pointing, laughing at the new guy? Give it to me I can take it.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Your favourite man with the penis logo'd company.

Blakes.

I'm not going to comment on your work, as there has been more than enough of that. But there are some other questions you had that I feel like I can help answer.

As far as the Silky's go, the consensus is the Zubat? The main reason I was looking into the Sugoi was for the leg scabbard. I have enough crap 'round my waist when I'm up the tree. The scabbard for the Sugoi work for the Zubat?

The Sugoi is one of my favorite hand saws simply because of the big hook on the end of the blade. The thing can be used as a two foot arm extender when needed, which becomes a valuable asset in the tree. If you're reaching for a rope, hold the blade and hook it with the handle. If you're reaching for a hanger, whack it with the last couple inches of the blade. The scabbard for the Sugoi will most likely work for the Zubat, because it's a bigger saw. I'll try it out in a couple hours and get you a definitive answer by this evening.

But a leg scabbard shouldn't be a reason for choosing a handsaw. Bailey's offers a product called the sawpod that enables you to attach any scabbard to your leg. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=47360&catID=30

I don't care what a man looks like, it's his skills, attitude and work ethic that count.

This is a dangerous point of view for a business owner. You may recognize skills and attitude in your crew members, but the general public typically only recognizes the appearance of skill and attitude. Looking professional is often more valuable than actually being professional. That said, earrings are not a big deal. It's 2008, and everybody has seen a heck of a lot weirder stuff than a dude with an earring. Neatness, a polite demeanor, and professional attire are what really count. By professional attire, I mean clean matching shirts and a bunch of PPE.

Back to the cabling. What method do you guys use? My ISA study guide seems to recommend the bolting method while my old boss was all about the wrapping method.

It's been my experience that a bolt is not a truly significant wound to most trees, whereas wrapping a cable has the potential to effectively girdle a tree and cause future problems. Minor movement from wind can over time cause a cable that is looped around a trunk to wear through the bark and wound the tree much more than a half inch drill hole will.

Maye I missed it in the post some where?

Are you and all your "climbingfriends" legit?
Insured and covered under wc? I hope so, especially if you are putting yourself out there.

If so please disregard the following.

On the topic of ppe. I've heard of too many stories here in NY state about people getting screwed when someone gets hurt on the job.

I'm and independantly insured arborist (sole propietors exempt from wc in NY) that sub contracts other independant arborists, landscapers,ect..

I paid a lawer and accountant to set me up and point me in the right direction to be ligit.

Yup, we're insured. The three of us are partners so WC doesn't apply unless the customer requires it. We walk away from those jobs. I have a running " Wth am I doing? " thread in the business management forum where I've been posting my questions and progress from uninsured, underbidding hack to insured, on the books, highly skilled hack throughout this season. Slow process, but I'm getting there.

Yup, we're insured. The three of us are partners so WC doesn't apply unless the customer requires it. We walk away from those jobs. I have a running " Wth am I doing? " thread in the business management forum where I've been posting my questions and progress from uninsured, underbidding hack to insured, on the books, highly skilled hack throughout this season. Slow process, but I'm getting there.

There was this pic of the maple LOGS on the ground from this " pruning" job and the caption read " Maple safely on the ground" I thought: Thank F-ing God for that!
I mean, who has logs on a prune job? You boys got to get up there and tie in so you can do something. The work spent in the tops pales to what is invloved with moving logs. You need much more time practicing before.
Treeco is right, very much so, BUT I always root for the underdog. How much further could you have tied in? What about this decay I heard mentioned?
I am sorry Treeco for ever doubting.

There was this pic of the maple LOGS on the ground from this " pruning" job and the caption read " Maple safely on the ground" I thought: Thank F-ing God for that!
I mean, who has logs on a prune job? You boys got to get up there and tie in so you can do something. The work spent in the tops pales to what is invloved with moving logs. You need much more time practicing before.
Treeco is right, very much so, BUT I always root for the underdog. How much further could you have tied in? What about this decay I heard mentioned?
I am sorry Treeco for ever doubting.

C'mon, Dannyboy. You could see how rotten those bastads were in the middle, couldn't you? I coulda put my fist through the middle of most of 'em and I ain't THAT strong of a fellow.

C'mon, Dannyboy. You could see how rotten those bastads were in the middle, couldn't you? I coulda put my fist through the middle of most of 'em and I ain't THAT strong of a fellow.

It might be the pics but it looked like anything on the ground was more than substaintial for tie in. So it stands to reason that one could get higher in the canopy. You know me- the higher in the canaopy the better.
Live and learn, get high, go up and ponder... you will see the cuts to make, you have to be the tree and use its force. loling but not as much as " " Logs from trimm job", Them's was really some logs.
Now come clean and tell us what you billed for both jobs. do you want to learn or do you allready know? Tell us how you feel about how everything was done from your side and be honest.... I sure Iam.
Keep climbing them silvers and such like that and you will get it. really good work though.

You have a lot of pics that mention being almost done etc. but still have deadwood and or lots of cleanup to do. When you use captions like completed etc. you should show pics of clean yards or
trees with out alot of deadwood. Also showing pics of prune jobs with huge bark peeling cuts will not help your business reputation.

As far as an earing goes...small studs or whatever is not a problem , but climbing with hoop earing is a bad idea. That hoop will get caught at the worst possible moment.

Be safe in the tree... it's a long way down!

Boy oh boy, wouldn't you like to know what I made? Honestly, until receiving the treatment I got here for the work I was feeling dern good about it, and my price. Now, perhaps I feel a little guilty but should the tree go south, I know I'll be the one to haul 'er away and I know that I'm going to be pruning it in the years to come if she lives. In fact I'll do either of those for free. Free removal to help assuage guilt or free trimmings to help make sure that this thing survives. Don't worry, I'll be sure to post pics when the latter happens.

You have a lot of pics that mention being almost done etc. but still have deadwood and or lots of cleanup to do. When you use captions like completed etc. you should show pics of clean yards or
trees with out alot of deadwood. Also showing pics of prune jobs with huge bark peeling cuts will not help your business reputation.

As far as an earing goes...small studs or whatever is not a problem , but climbing with hoop earing is a bad idea. That hoop will get caught at the worst possible moment.

Be safe in the tree... it's a long way down!

Double check them pics, boss. You won't find a rip cut on one of my finished trees.

I know I caught one on the oak, but it was quite obvious that was not the finishing cut.

Honestly, TreeCo.

My post began with, "I'm here to learn." Your opinion and even those knee-jerk reactions are fine but I must say, that as a mod, I think you should have done more to teach me and point out the mistakes I made instead of just tossing mud. But that's just my opinion, and it's your guys' site. Your decision, if you want it to be educational or just a flame-fest. Not my issue.

My post began with, "I'm here to learn." Your opinion and even those knee-jerk reactions are fine but I must say, that as a mod, I think you should have done more to teach me and point out the mistakes I made instead of just tossing mud. But that's just my opinion, and it's your guys' site. Your decision, if you want it to be educational or just a flame-fest. Not my issue.

Yes, he is not doing a good job at educating the boys who are willing to go out and look bad. Maybe it would behoth him to try to help them look good. Maybe he thinks you are the vile source of his troll-like angst; the feeling that he alone ( and his cronies I am sure) is worhty of speaking for the trees. And a hallowed F-ing job it is. Treeco knows way to much about this crap and that is a whole helluva lot, it really is.
If you want to training day with a honest hustler the phone is open bubba.

Last edited:
Boy oh boy, wouldn't you like to know what I made? Honestly, until receiving the treatment I got here for the work I was feeling dern good about it, and my price. Now, perhaps I feel a little guilty but should the tree go south, I know I'll be the one to haul 'er away and I know that I'm going to be pruning it in the years to come if she lives. In fact I'll do either of those for free. Free removal to help assuage guilt or free trimmings to help make sure that this thing survives. Don't worry, I'll be sure to post pics when the latter happens.

That, my friend, is a dern good answer i suppose. But what in the hell are you talking about giving it away? Free removal to to what? What in the hell does assuage mean?
Quick, tell me, how many years you got into trees total, that's real trees not no landscraping or anything TREES!

Yes, he is not doing a good job at educating the boys who are willing to go out and look bad. Maybe it would behoth him to try to help them look good. Maybe he thinks you are the vile source of him troll-like angst- the feeling that he alone ( and his cronies I am sure) is worhty of speaking for the trees. And a hallowed F-ing job it is. Treeco knows way to much about this crap and that is a whole helluva lot, it really is.
If you want to training day with a honest tree hustler the phone is open bubba.

Dan. I read that 3 times and still can't figure out what the heck you are saying. S'all right. I'm not here to p*** off a mod, or start a war, just wanted to learn some stuff, which I did, thanks guys.

That, my friend, is a dern good answer i suppose. But what in the hell are you talking about giving it away? Free removal to to what? What in the hell does assuage mean?
Quick, tell me, how many years you got into trees total, that's real trees not no landscraping or anything TREES!

Assuage? Google it, Dan. You're sure to have better luck with that than I did with "behoth". And I got about 6 years in, honey.

Dan, I think he meant "sausage".

I didn't have time at the time. Please take my comment as coming 100%from a disgusted arborist, and 0% from a mod!

Understood. Sometimes it's hard to not do the absolute right thing when more important stuff is at stake. Kinda have to see the whole picture and put it into perspective sometimes.

Latest posts

Back