Alright guys, meet the new love of my life!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I did end up buying it here in the US, but from a buddy of mine. He ended up purchasing a few from some guy that must have imported them. It is a Brazilian made saw. To be honest with you, there are just a few small features the MS380 has than your 038 Mag II, and those are negligible. I know the MS381 has these extra small features along with a decomp, but it doesn't have spring AV mounts either. All 3 (yours, MS380, and the MS381) have the rubber mounts.

Oh ok. I did'nt know that. I always wondered if they had the newer mounts on the 381.
it seems that no one really tries too hard to find them. I guess thats why.

Really nice, I have the three different 038's and they are some of my most used.
We can still get the MS 380 , I think, and we also have the MS 391 which has the same cyl & pistion as the 362 and spring mounts but is classed as a farm saw and has no adj. oil pump and not as good trim.

Lucky you ide love to have one of those as well but think I have to get a ms440 first.

Okay, I made a few vids. They are uploading now. I could'nt get my 660 to run for some reason. I'll start a thread on that one later.

I ran the 361 and the 038 Mag in some 25" Sournut Hickory, which is some hard arsed wood.

Got three vids. Here's the first one: 038 Mag. 25" Stihl bar/full chisel

[video=youtube;64Z0ttem_U4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Z0ttem_U4[/video]

Last edited:
Here's the 361, same wood. 20" GB bar and full comp Stihl chain. The wood is actually about 22" now :D[video=youtube;mk67RcMHbCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk67RcMHbCU[/video]

I thought there was maybe a dual-port factory option, sort of like with the larger Stihls back in the 90's that came with the dual port muffler. This might be an alternative to hacking up your original one if you didn't feel like drilling. I believe Baileys sells an 038 dual port muffler (most likely without a baffle).

A real blast from my early days. That was the first larger saw I ran after the 026 and what a beast of a saw that was, some dreg lifted it one night I think pop forgot to lock the truck. They left both of our 020s though so they clearly wanted drug money and had no real idea of the value or he would have taken those instead. Funny memories a big thanks for posting sir you have a real :biggrin:gem!

I'm glad my ol' 038 went to a good home and to someone who will appreciate her. That was the first saw I ever bought. I was a junior in high school at the time. I used Dads XL 12 to log enough white and red oak off the farm to pay for it. It was then used to cut firewood for the family. A few years after high school, we sold the farm and the saw got little use. When I bought my 1st house and started burning wood again, I used my 026 mainly. The 038 got little use and that continued through the years as I bought other saws. Now my main two saws are the 362 and 441. The 038 has been kept safe all these years and I really love that saw. I hated to sell it, but the economy is tough, I've got too many toys and need tax money. I don't think it could have gone to a better home! Enjoy it Anthony!

Last edited:
Back