Alternative to sharpening your chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerdoug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The entire time I have been part of this forum, I have only seen people discuss sharpening their chain or paying someone to sharpen it for them.

The question is to how many people out there are take my position on chainsaw chain. I do not like cutting with a dull chain. If the chain is not cutting up to par, then I take it off and put a brand new chain on. The chain is only used 1 time and is sold for $4 on craigslist in a batch to someone who enjoys sharpening chain.

I usually get 4 cord of cut firewood out of a single chain. I run with Stihl RSLK 84 drivers on a 25" bar.

The Stihl RSLK 84 drivers will run $12.24 + $2.50 to put the loop together. Total cost just under $15. You sell the used loop for $4 and your net cost is $11 per chain.

I don't do enough volume to own a silvey grinder set and my time is too valuable to sharpen myself. I have yet to find a chain that is better than one right out of the box. I have had my chains done on a Silvey grinder, (but not had the rakers set) and I still prefer the stuff right out of the box.

So do you guys think I am totally insane? Chain cost per cord is right around $2.75.

Its like throwing money away. I can sharpen a half worn out chain to out cut a brand new chain. I'm talking about round filed though. I wouldn't know what to do with a square chain.

Keep the feed back coming

So far I am the only one with my perspective. I am anxious to see if anyone else shares my point of view.

You related to PLMCRZY? I am too frugal to dispose of perfectly good stuff and buy new when the solution is so easy.

Yup +1 on insane.

My chains never last me 4 cords. I sharpen them often because its easier to keep razor sharp edge than fixing it up once it only throws dust. :)

If your time is worth that much (guessing $80/hr) then you should consider hiring someone to do your cutting too.

I'll buy every once used loop of RSLK you have at $4 a piece. Throw them in a box and let me know how you want me to send you your money. :msp_w00t:

Don't know about farmerdoug's math, he has it to the penny so i'm sure he calculated it.

Sharp chain has been am issue for me -- if you have three or four guys on a job, and run out of sharp chain, you cut dull or stop and touch one up (or even rush out to the hardware store and buy another or two or three). It got to a point that I would buy a few chains for each big job -- now I have quite the collection.

I finally bought a round-file grinder, but don't often get around to using it much, and there is a long learning curve to get a chain factory spec. So I have quite the backlog of dull chain. Plus, I have quite a bit of square cut that I only touch up by hand (with a "whoopie" file) or send out. Going rate is $10 and up, depending on chain length for either round or square cut.

Sharpening involves three objectives: getting teeth the same length (by starting with the dullest tooth -- but maybe more than once around to do it, or you will heat up the other teeth, causing them to lose temper), lowering the rakers (I still do it by eye with a flat file), and cutting into the gullet (but not too far, or you score the link). There is an art and a science to it, as I know a lot of guys here will attest to.

There are stock angles raker depths for every type of chain (in a tiny print manual in five languages that came with my Carlton) but I am probably not following it too closely except for the 30 degree angle for the sweep of the cutting edge at (horizontal plane relative to the bar). I am using the same angle (on the cutting tooth, in a vertical plane relative to the bar) for all chain even though the chart has some differences.

Plus you can mod the spec sharpening for various preferences -- I like my rakers extra low for more bite. I have never bothered to use a raker depth gauge (I think twice bought one twice and lost it both times -- slippery little suckers :confused:).

Nuts!

It takes me 10 minutes, a half a beer, and some time showing my kids how it works to sharpen a chain! Question is how are you getting chain so cheap, I just bought a 84DL Stihl chain for $23 factory made?

You're getting an 84 driver loop of RSLK for 15 bucks? And, getting 4 cord out of it before going dull?

The local Stihl dealer must have some sort of crush on you, and 4 cords of sterilized and washed Balsa, is hardly real world elsewhere.

If you can get away with it, and it works for you, congrats!

Around here loops of Stihl chain run about a buck a Bar inch, and at least touching up the cutters every tank fill is the rule, and often times touch ups are needed half through a single tank.

No way in hell would any production be possible, or financially feasable, using a new chain only once. Crap, folks would be wearing out bar nuts and screnches faster than Bars if we tried that around here.

I would be most interested in single use dull loops for 4 bucks though...:msp_w00t:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yes!

Takes me 5 minutes to sharpen one with a file and it cuts better than it did out of the box.

If I didn't know how to sharpen a chain, I wouldn't use chainsaws. :msp_tongue:

Video please, I'd like to see all that. I'll give ya the 5 minutes but better than new out the box, got my stopie watch here, roll the film,LOL

The entire time I have been part of this forum, I have only seen people discuss sharpening their chain or paying someone to sharpen it for them.

The question is to how many people out there are take my position on chainsaw chain. I do not like cutting with a dull chain. If the chain is not cutting up to par, then I take it off and put a brand new chain on. The chain is only used 1 time and is sold for $4 on craigslist in a batch to someone who enjoys sharpening chain.

I usually get 4 cord of cut firewood out of a single chain. I run with Stihl RSLK 84 drivers on a 25" bar.

The Stihl RSLK 84 drivers will run $12.24 + $2.50 to put the loop together. Total cost just under $15. You sell the used loop for $4 and your net cost is $11 per chain.

I don't do enough volume to own a silvey grinder set and my time is too valuable to sharpen myself. I have yet to find a chain that is better than one right out of the box. I have had my chains done on a Silvey grinder, (but not had the rakers set) and I still prefer the stuff right out of the box.

So do you guys think I am totally insane? Chain cost per cord is right around $2.75.

Man your getting that chain awful cheap there. I'm with you cept I don't bother with the dull chain, I pitch and go bout my business. I can't see myself doing much of anything for 4 bucks, especailly fooling with Craiglist selling a used saw chain. Hell 4 bucks won't even buy me a hamburger. I'm with you, give me a new chain anytime..

Latest posts

Back