Alternative to sharpening your chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad someone brought this thread back up. I read the whole thing and I am stunned. I did not know you had to sharpen your chain.:dunno:

I am glad someone brought this thread back up. I read the whole thing and I am stunned. I did not know you had to sharpen your chain.:dunno:

You have lots of company out there. Makes for good buys on used saws though, if they don't fry them. :cool2:

No video required.

...Many people can talk about how they can sharpen a chain within 5-10 minutes, but no one can manage to do a video illustrating a dull chain that can't cut, and then a hand sharpened chain that can cut like new...

There's a simple explanation how it's done; no video required. First, sharpen the chain with every fuel fill-up and it never gets dull to begin with; the saw cools down before fueling which means less chance of a fire and the operator gets to grab some water and take a break from the physical work, which are safety issues if you're working for longer periods of time. Second, using a stump vise or similar, three strokes per cutter with a sharp file will do it. With a 16" or 20" bar, that's 5 minutes max. for me no sweat, and I'm old and don't do this for a living. Third, check depth gauges every other fueling. This can take time - add another 1-3 minutes if you keep up with it; 15+ minutes if you haven't. Total sharpening time averages 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:
There's a simple explanation how it's done; no video required. First, sharpen the chain with every fuel fill-up and it never gets dull to begin with; the saw cools down before fueling which means less chance of a fire and the operator gets to grab some water and take a break from the physical work, which are safety issues if you're working for longer periods of time. Second, using a stump vise or similar, three strokes per cutter with a sharp file will do it. With a 16" or 20" bar, that's 5 minutes max. for me no sweat, and I'm old and don't do this for a living. Third, check depth gauges every other fueling. This can take time - add another 1-3 minutes if you keep up with it; 15+ minutes if you haven't. Total sharpening time averages 5-10 minutes.

About exactly how I do it. Speeds it up and is easier since I switched to mostly using the two files in the holder husky (pferd) rig.

One more sucker buys into the lie.

The myth of needing to sharpen your chain is just propaganda put out by the military industrial chain file complex.

Welcome to Sheepleville, population you.

This is what happens when we let our children huff chemtrails.

:jester:

I don't do video man! :msp_rolleyes:

5 minutes might be a little stretch, but no more that 10. I don't cut with dull chain, so mine aren't that bad when I do sharpen... I'm also using 68 and 72 link chain, so a bit quicker than 84.

This is key, if you wait until you're making flour, not only does it take longer but you go tru files and chains faster.
I can do a 72DL round in about 5mins a side. Same in square in about 10min a side or 20 mins as long as theres no cutter damage. The thing with square is I need reading glasses which are a pain in the woods and when you're sweaty.

Back