Alternative to sharpening your chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not 'sharpen' with a grinder ya grump. Just a pass with a sharp file and two licks on the rakers. If I feel like it I go into the gullets first then a pass on the cutters.

How many guys gotta tell you a new factory ground chain is not the best there is? J/K LOL! You just want sharpnin instructions dontcha? Welp, I charge for lessons. You gotsta pay.

Hair needs doo goo. Chain needs a file. Simple as that young feller :msp_wink:

Ya charge for lessons, okkkkkkkkkkkk, I'm game, love good competition. We gotta get it on film though. New chain out the box, put on the saw, timed in a log, sharpened with a file while on the saw and timed in the log again. No hanky panky either. Now if my filed chain gains more speed than your filed chain you gotta buy me a years worth of doo glue for my hair. If your filed chain gains more you don't have to buy me my doo glue, helluva deal if ya ask me,LOLOLOL

Zom here's another reason I hate sharpening chains. Here's over 150 chains waiting to be picked up. Some been here for days, some for weeks and some for months. Some of those bags have 10 chains in them, the boxes, many have 2 chains in them. This is common at most shops. So common many shops make the customer pay when they drop off the chain, not when they come get it. I've yet to do that but if these chains keep piling up it looks like I'm gonna have to soon do it.

View attachment 267439

Tommy, I have never charged for lessons before now. That's a special offer just for you! Niko and I are working on the curriculum.

I have no new chain to start with. My used chains last and last. Can you ship me a roll of 3/8 .050 round chisel? :popcorn::popcorn: Other problem is that there is knee deep snow here now and minus 20-30C so my cutting activities are pretty well shut down for the winter. We got a years worth of snow here already.

What I'd really like is to find someone that can teach me to file square.

Tommy, I have never charged for lessons before now. That's a special offer just for you! Niko and I are working on the curriculum.

I have no new chain to start with. My used chains last and last. Can you ship me a roll of 3/8 .050 round chisel? :popcorn::popcorn: Other problem is that there is knee deep snow here now and minus 20-30C so my cutting activities are pretty well shut down for the winter. We got a years worth of snow here already.

What I'd really like is to find someone that can teach me to file square.

Well hell. I was gonna hold up on the saw just a tad with the new chain so when I use my filed chain I'd gain oh 30-40 seconds, LOL, BTW, thats not cheating, its called adjusting to win,haha.

I am impressed to see a sharpened chain can indeed hang with and slightly out perform a new one when filed right. I myself would never take a file to a new chain, speed isn't all that important to me. If she cuts smooth, striaght and steady I'm happy.

Can't send ya any rolls of chain, Stihl won't let me. I'd like to send ya that big pile of sharpened chains I have here though. Come January I'll go through that pile like I do every year. Anything been here a year gets what, FILED, right in file 13, dayumm shame but they's gotsa go...

I was wondering why Brad was so mad that someone was making his threads "sticky".

They will get sent to purgatory, where no one will read them.........

Makes things next to impossible for the new members, but it is easier to browse the site from Brad's phone. Life is full of tradeoffs!

Well hell. I was gonna hold up on the saw just a tad with the new chain so when I use my filed chain I'd gain oh 30-40 seconds, LOL, BTW, thats not cheating, its called adjusting to win,haha.

Never play cards with someone named "Doc", and never make a chainsaw-related bet with a Stihl dealer that looks like Elvis*.

*Vegas Elvis, not the young one...

Never play cards with someone named "Doc", and never make a chainsaw-related bet with a Stihl dealer that looks like Elvis*.

*Vegas Elvis, not the young one...

Zom would have never noticed me holding up on the saw with the new chain, he may have wondered whats taking so long, why is he combing his hair while sawing, hmmmmm,hehehe

What happened to the time when grown men and most boys could sharpen a saw chain, knives or any other tools that needed it???

No THALL, I'm not talking about you. :msp_tongue:

What happened to the time when grown men and most boys could sharpen a saw chain, knives or any other tools that needed it???

No THALL, I'm not talking about you. :msp_tongue:

Yes ya are, you tant fooling me, grrrrrrrrr. You keep on picking on lil ole me I'm gonna whip out my file and show ya how to really sharpen a chain, oppps, gotta buy me a file first,:msp_tongue::msp_tongue:

Yes ya are, you tant fooling me, grrrrrrrrr. You keep on picking on lil ole me I'm gonna whip out my file and show ya how to really sharpen a chain, oppps, gotta buy me a file first,:msp_tongue::msp_tongue:

Use the one ya get from Stihl for manicures and such...
I heard they like to keep up appearances of their techs.
Can't be havin' those dirty hands and fingernails...

get some Pferd files. Those Stihl ones are good hard steel, but the teeth on em aren't as sharp as Pferd.

Hey Tommy, I had my hair cut by an old gal a while back and she put some hair goop in after. The real stuff, like some kinda thick oily goop. It took three days to wash it all out. How do ya get that stuff out? Or do ya just add more every day and that's how it works?

get some Pferd files. Those Stihl ones are good hard steel, but the teeth on em aren't as sharp as Pferd.

Hey Tommy, I had my hair cut by an old gal a while back and she put some hair goop in after. The real stuff, like some kinda thick oily goop. It took three days to wash it all out. How do ya get that stuff out? Or do ya just add more every day and that's how it works?

Aww they using that stuff that would hold ya hair in place during a hurricane, mean stuff, I call that stuff clear Elmers glue, stay away from it. You go down to the store and getcha a real tube of hair jelly, its called Groom&Clean, comes in a white tube with a blue logo. Its good stuff, been using it for years. Just a dab works real good. Makes ya hair all nice and shiny, not stiff yet holds it in place. Washes out easy, little kerosene and it comes right out, naaaaaaaaaaaaa, try it, really good stuff. Costs 5.99 around here, makes ya hair look good, getcha some, cheers!!!!

Aww they using that stuff that would hold ya hair in place during a hurricane, mean stuff, I call that stuff clear Elmers glue, stay away from it. You go down to the store and getcha a real tube of hair jelly, its called Groom&Clean, comes in a white tube with a blue logo. Its good stuff, been using it for years. Just a dab works real good. Makes ya hair all nice and shiny, not stiff yet holds it in place. Washes out easy, little kerosene and it comes right out, naaaaaaaaaaaaa, try it, really good stuff. Costs 5.99 around here, makes ya hair look good, getcha some, cheers!!!!

Good deal. I'll have to track some down. Maybe it will work for muh mustache too
mustache.jpg

. . . here's another reason I hate sharpening chains. Here's over 150 chains waiting to be picked up. Some been here for days, some for weeks and some for months. . . . So common many shops make the customer pay when they drop off the chain, not when they come get it.

. . . I'd like to send ya that big pile of sharpened chains I have here though. Come January I'll go through that pile like I do every year. Anything been here a year gets what, FILED, right in file 13, dayumm shame but they's gotsa go...

Tommy,

I have seen several dealers sell used, unclaimed chains for the cost of sharpening. Any problems with your shop doing that?

If you can't, I am sure that there folks here on A.S. willing to adopt and provide good homes! One of our A.S. members packed 30 pounds of unloved chains into a USPS 'flat rate box'. Really impressed my mailman.

Philbert

That could be dangerous. Like someone giving you dies and brass for a gun you don't own...yet.
"I had to buy that saw, dear, I have a chain that fits it."

. . . so what's your point ? :)

Actually, it was getting a spinner/breaker set that was very liberating for me. Can re-size loops fairly easy to fit my saws or friend's saws. 3/8 LP, .325, 3/8. Also helps if you are not too picky: Oregon, STIHL, Carlton are all OK with me. I am not embarrassed to run low-kickback chain. Have never run square ground and don't know how to file it, but would love to learn.

Philbert

Yeah, I have some low-kickback chain that has come my way. I sharpen it and send it back out. Knock back the rakers and it's no big deal.

I also have 1800 rounds of 8mm Yugo, and only one rifle for it, and M48 Yugo that isn't especially fun to shoot. But the ammo was too cheap to pass up!

So do you guys think I am totally insane? Chain cost per cord is right around $2.75.

Crazy? No... just a differnt logic pattern than most.

The "Touch Up" takes less than 10 minutes and is spitting chunks and cutting fast again...

I bet a kid in your neighborhood "wood" sharpen your chains for a buck per chain? Let'em look up on youtube, How To Vids, and I bet you will be happy saving money and helping a kid make money?

Back