Aluminum axe scabbards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. I'm not falling as much as I was in 08, but I've still got mine and use it. I'm still using the one I made from roof flashing. It will not wear out.
I've been using one so long, that I feel neckid without it.

Andy

It'll wear out if you lay your belt and gear down on a rock and the Cat-skinner pushes the rock off the landing and down over a big slide and a bluff with a bunch of other rocks. They're just never quite the same after that.

For those of you that arent using a aluminum scabbard how are you carrying your axe? I ussually just carry mine but its a pain to walk back up to the stump to grab it every time. i tried it in my belt but it just doesnt feel right. a buddy told me his guys buy a carpenters pouch and cut it so the axe handle fits through and the head doesnt. he said it works well i thought about giving it a try.

For those of you that arent using a aluminum scabbard how are you carrying your axe? I ussually just carry mine but its a pain to walk back up to the stump to grab it every time. i tried it in my belt but it just doesnt feel right. a buddy told me his guys buy a carpenters pouch and cut it so the axe handle fits through and the head doesnt. he said it works well i thought about giving it a try.

I don't like the handle hanging down that way, it will trip you up more. I shove my 4 lb axe and 32" handle through the back of my tool belt between where the suspenders are attached to it and have it cocked sideways so its balanced between the head and the handle. With the belt just right, considering suspenders are whats holding it all up, not a tight belt, it'll stay there yet not be hard to put in or out. And there is no scabbard to break.

Since I wear the Y back Better Spenders I tuck it threw the leather ears that attach to my britches. Of course I only have a 24" handle on the wedge beater. However, it does not feel pretty on your back when you trip and catch the edge of the axe in your back. :taped: It hurts.

Carry your axe however it's comfortable, but carry your axe.
If you're comfortable with the handle dangling from a pouch between your legs, by all means go for it but be careful not to trip.
If you're comfortable with the handle between straps at an angle, like hammer said that's good too.
Or a short handle hanging down like mile9...Great.
I like the aluminum scabbard (I've found my short handle hangs up less). Everyone has a different prefrence. I've had guy's that like to use a hammer loop on their belt.
However you choose to carry your axe...carry it. You can't be productive hunting for it, or something else to pound wedges with.

Andy

Latest posts

Back