Aluminum axe scabbards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use one and its great, my axe is always in reach and i know exactly where its at. my axe is a 3lb with a 20 inch handle so its not to bad in the brush

I've used one for several years now and really like it. Mine is centered on the back of my web gear and is barely noticeable. I can throw a ruck over the top of it for long hike ins. Just make sure the axe head slips in and out easily because you can't reach it. Mine gets bent up now and then and needs a little body work but the aluminum is soft and easy to work with.
misc001.jpg

Last edited:
yup.... that's exactly what I was thinking. at $25... no way it's worth the trouble of making one.

I sometimes use this magnesium wedge driver. It is easy to carry and works OK on small stuff up to 18" or so. Mostly I will be driving 8" wedges with it.

that thing is bigger than some other mag. drivers i've seen

you could hunt deer with that, haha

2DOGS,

Are you peeing on your christmas tree in post 22? Is that a California thing? Does is keep the deer out of the house? That is a real problem here in CT, our deer are so accustomed to us that they just walk in the front door and spread Lyme disease just by sneezing.

Looks like a great deterent. I'm gonna go pee on my tree right now.

Jason:)

I've used one for several years now and really like it. Mine is centered on the back of my web gear and is barely noticeable. I can throw a ruck over the top of it for long hike ins. Just make sure the axe head slips in and out easily because you can't reach it. Mine gets bent up now and then and needs a little body work but the aluminum is soft and easy to work with.
misc001.jpg

Nice set-up. What are the chances that you have photo of the web gear from different angles? I wonder if that is the type of harness system that stihlloggin was talk'in about.

You know after seeing that mag driver, I think I have mag envy now. That thing looks like, man size from that picture. Mine isn't that big.

Thanks for the photo, I'd rep ya but I'm out.

Owl

after seein' 2Dogs pic, looks like he's got a thicker shoulder pad

mine's pretty thin, but it gets the job done when i gotta pack the saw in

2dogs... nice setup... is that aluminum scabbard home made or store bought?

2DOGS,

Are you peeing on your christmas tree in post 22? Is that a California thing? Does is keep the deer out of the house? That is a real problem here in CT, our deer are so accustomed to us that they just walk in the front door and spread Lyme disease just by sneezing.

Looks like a great deterent. I'm gonna go pee on my tree right now.

Jason:)

LOL! I guess you mean the first pic, that is my son wearing the web gear.

Nice set-up. What are the chances that you have photo of the web gear from different angles? I wonder if that is the type of harness system that stihlloggin was talk'in about.

You know after seeing that mag driver, I think I have mag envy now. That thing looks like, man size from that picture. Mine isn't that big.

Thanks for the photo, I'd rep ya but I'm out.

Owl

Yeah, mine is probably bigger than yours. Pphhhtttt!

I'll try for more pics. The web gear is the old FSS wildland webgear. You should find it on ebay for ten bucks, maybe less.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine is probably bigger than yours. Pphhhtttt!

I'll try for more pics. The web gear is the old FSS wildland webgear. You should find it on ebay for ten bucks, maybe less.

And the FS probably got it from the Army. You can also find it in the surplus stores too. We used to be a dumping ground for military gear.

Maybe it's just me, but too much riggin' on the body. I keep my body as light and free of snags as possible, plus I need all the free weight and room to pack two gallons and an extra tank of gas. I keep my axe close behind the tree I'm cutting and put it up on the bar of my saw when on my shoulder and moving. I don't use wedge pouches either, can't stand them hanging on me. I have two 10"s and a 12" in my back pockets (Big Bills have nice big pockets) that do everything in the field for me. My pack is not too far away with more wedges if need be. I figure if you need massive wedges everyday, all day your not going to get much cut. The lead or the technique needs to be changed. Not always, but it is very true in SE growing Dominant and Co-dominant timber in the Cascades and the eastern slopes.

Maybe it's just me, but too much riggin' on the body. I keep my body as light and free of snags as possible, plus I need all the free weight and room to pack two gallons and an extra tank of gas. I keep my axe close behind the tree I'm cutting and put it up on the bar of my saw when on my shoulder and moving. I don't use wedge pouches either, can't stand them hanging on me. I have two 10"s and a 12" in my back pockets (Big Bills have nice big pockets) that do everything in the field for me. My pack is not too far away with more wedges if need be. I figure if you need massive wedges everyday, all day your not going to get much cut. The lead or the technique needs to be changed. Not always, but it is very true in SE growing Dominant and Co-dominant timber in the Cascades and the eastern slopes.

I did not give any explanation along with my pics and I should have. I use this harness when I carry a fire shelter or for long hike ins. Normally I just carry a wedge belt and sometimes a small water bottle in a pouch. I agree with you in that too much weight and stuff to snag is a hazard. Sometimes I dump the harness or even the wedge belt and stuff the wedges in my back pockets. Prison Blues or Key jeans for me. I have not tried Big Bills.

At 56 I am not too agile so I like to keep the weight to a minimum when working a hazard tree. The axe stays against the tree, the wedges are in reach or in my back pocket, chaps are with the gas can, not even a Spencer tape to slow me down. But that aluminum axe scabbard is sure nice to have when there is a long walk to the trees.

Latest posts

Back