Am I in the Tropics; What are these Worms?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A. Stanton

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Splitting some rotten wood today and came across these worms. They look like the grubs that Mark and Ollie ate on the Travel Channel while in the New Guinea tropics. If I didn't just have lunch, I might have tried em. Took the shot on a big dollar bill to show the big scale of these guys. As Shelby on the Ax Men would say, "almost got enough for a new gun and a pocket knife."

Splitting some rotten wood today and came across these worms. They look like the grubs that Mark and Ollie ate on the Travel Channel while in the New Guinea tropics. If I didn't just have lunch, I might have tried em. Took the shot on a big dollar bill to show the big scale of these guys. As Shelby on the Ax Men would say, "almost got enough for a new gun and a pocket knife."

ive seen a few of those in rotton wood while splitting before

poor $100
couldnt you have done it to a $1 !?

this is an example of why i wash my hands after handling money.

At my hosue those turn into monster black beetles that eat wood like a freaking chipper. you can HEAR them chomping from about 20ft away from wherever I have pine stacked. They look fearsome and are tough as nails - hitting them with the maul just pushes them into the dirt, have get midieval on their butts to take them out.

They make really good bait if you can get a few dozen of them. They are the larvae of scarab beetles. Those things can get huge.

I think they are called "Long Horned Beetles" (there are several genus and species across the country), and down here they will just about destroy all the sapwood in a wood pile in two summers. http://bugguide.net/node/view/5094/bgimage http://bugguide.net/node/view/225289/bgimage

They dont seem to get into the heart wood much. They are one reason why I seperate my heartwood from my sapwood as I split, then burn the sapwood first each year.

I found some of those munching away on a big piece of Ash I was splitting. I do lawns for a living, so I'm familiar with grubs, but these suckers were HUGE. Not sure exactly what they are, but the larval form of just about every hard shelled beetle is a grub.

They make really good bait if you can get a few dozen of them. They are the larvae of scarab beetles. Those things can get huge.
:agree2:

102281724_b12bc799de.jpg

LARVA.jpg

050217wtf3rk.jpg

"Scarab" Beetles are Dung Beetles, also called Tumblebugs. They lay their eggs in balls of dung. The wood boring beetles are "Long Horned Beetles". Yessir,, they can and will bite. But they are very slow, so they are easy to handle.

Back