J.M. Browning's response thoughts on "Ax Men"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is quite timely. Today, I was out looking for helicopter landings with a logger and he casually said, "Axemen called us about filming here." My heart dropped to my stomach and I replied, "No." He has since said they probably won't go for it, but I'll sure be trying to keep as low a profile as I can if they do. Maybe make a paper bag mask or something. My mama doesn't like that show, too much cussing and too much danger. She'd not like seeing me on it. I'm mad at the show because ever since it started, and I found out I'm the same age as Duane, the cutter, I feel old cuz he looks so old.

There was an obscure message about a filming company earlier, last week, wanting the phone numbers of nearby loggers to a road junction. I got that guy's permission and gave it to them. He began fantasizing about being on axemen, and even wanted a scene of me chasing him and I'd be carrying a big limb and waving it madly. I thought, yeah, that'd be real cool, two round people with bad joints on at least one leg, trying to run in the brush....I'm sure that would get the ratings up.

Last edited:
Slowp,
You wouldn't have to run across the hillside. Just stand on the roadside cussing and spitting snoose and you'd be a regular on the show.

Old really old

"I'm mad at the show because ever since it started, and I found out I'm the same age as Duane, the cutter, I feel old cuz he looks so old."

SlowP: How much do you smoke and drink? Do you find it hard to put down a fifth when getting a haircut?

------------

Just for grins, could you film the AxMen producers and film crew when they come to your area?

Perhaps emphasize the competetion between film crews and their production rates here on AS or Youtube.

"I'm mad at the show because ever since it started, and I found out I'm the same age as Duane, the cutter, I feel old cuz he looks so old."

SlowP: How much do you smoke and drink? Do you find it hard to put down a fifth when getting a haircut?

------------

Just for grins, could you film the AxMen producers and film crew when they come to your area?

Perhaps emphasize the competetion between film crews and their production rates here on AS or Youtube.

I do not have the technology to do so, and I'm probably not going to have the time. I figure 6 sides going in August if all plans are followed. 2 possibly 3 yarders, 3 cats unless a couple do the yarder parts, and one helicopter. And it seems like I might be forgetting somebody.

Maybe I'll hire that actress who is on My Name Is Earl to play the part for me.
She's cranky enough!:)

When they focus on the drama not the facts just for ratings, it gives the anti logging community fuel. We all know there is more to the picture then what they are willing to show. We have a long up hill battle ahead to get the true picture out to the rest of the country that has been on the receiving end of the spin for a long time.

I watched the show because I could read between the lines. Film companies like that, make logging and milling companies look bad so they can gain the all mighty dollar.

I don't know where or how the show was produced, but keep in mind that Hollywood and the guild in general are the most liberal tree huggers on the planet. And a major source of funding for the enviromental groups.

I don't know where or how the show was produced, but keep in mind that Hollywood and the guild in general are the most liberal tree huggers on the planet. And a major source of funding for the enviromental groups.

And they all form a long line waiting to build smaller houses.

Hi , I want to film your logging crew so I can put it on cable TV and make $ then sell it
on DVD so I can make $ and oh by the way we won’t be paying you anything for the
inconvenience of having us around.

LOL, :buttkick:

Hi , I want to film your logging crew so I can put it on cable TV and make $ then sell it
on DVD so I can make $ and oh by the way we won’t be paying you anything for the
inconvenience of having us around.

LOL, :buttkick:

Hey, it was a lot better than the usual unpaid blurbs about how logging is devastating the last of the pristine old growth and all the baby animals and the earth as we know it. For free it was much better than that. :clap:

I watched the show from beginning to end because I thought it was better to watch than most of the crap that was on during the same time slot. One thing I've discovered about any show produced and narrated by Thom Beers(Ax Men, Ice Road Truckers, Black Gold, Monster Garage, etc.) is that he likes focusing on the drama and sometimes I think that his narration is basically unnecessary drama that never was there until he said it. In other words, I think he said a few things to start drama because he was probably getting bored with what was going on. The first episode of Ax Men was narrated by someone else then the second episode came along and when I recognized Thom's voice, I was severely disappointed because I knew this was gonna happen. It happened on almost every episode of Monster Garage, and on Ice Road Truckers. Sure enough, when I watched the first episode of Black Gold and I heard his voice narrating the show, I stopped watching the show because I knew it was gonna be the same unnecessary drama that all his shows have.

Scott

I watched the show from beginning to end because I thought it was better to watch than most of the crap that was on during the same time slot. One thing I've discovered about any show produced and narrated by Thom Beers(Ax Men, Ice Road Truckers, Black Gold, Monster Garage, etc.) is that he likes focusing on the drama and sometimes I think that his narration is basically unnecessary drama that never was there until he said it. In other words, I think he said a few things to start drama because he was probably getting bored with what was going on. The first episode of Ax Men was narrated by someone else then the second episode came along and when I recognized Thom's voice, I was severely disappointed because I knew this was gonna happen. It happened on almost every episode of Monster Garage, and on Ice Road Truckers. Sure enough, when I watched the first episode of Black Gold and I heard his voice narrating the show, I stopped watching the show because I knew it was gonna be the same unnecessary drama that all his shows have.

Scott

As much as I enjoyed the show I have to agree with what you said. I think I am the only person here who enjoyed Ax Men.

As much as I enjoyed the show I have to agree with what you said. I think I am the only person here who enjoyed Ax Men.

I also enjoyed the show. Probably because of the equipment shown on the show. The fact that there were logging trucks and diesel pickups on the show helped my enjoyment of the show too. BTW, are you on ck5.com and towrig.com under that same handle?

Scott

So, what do you think they'll do to the helicopter guys? The guys coming here said Axmen tried to get their guys to do some stupid stuff. But they told their employees they'd be fired if they did it.

They can't film the Dangerous Search For Landings, we already did that. Or the Hazardous Pre Work Meeting. The roads are getting bladed and opened up. Not much left. I have a line figured out if I get trapped by them. How's this.

I've broken every fingernail on BOTH hands. :)

So, what do you think they'll do to the helicopter guys? The guys coming here said Axmen tried to get their guys to do some stupid stuff. But they told their employees they'd be fired if they did it.

They can't film the Dangerous Search For Landings, we already did that. Or the Hazardous Pre Work Meeting. The roads are getting bladed and opened up. Not much left. I have a line figured out if I get trapped by them. How's this.

I've broken every fingernail on BOTH hands. :)

They'll probably focus on the "death-defying" aspects of the job. They'll probably over dramatize everything that moves or makes noise. They'll probably totally ignore the skill and dedication that a helicopter crew brings to a job. They'll probably totally ignore or at least understate the environmental advantages to helicopter logging.

They'll probably totally piss off anybody that knows anything about helicopter logging.

They'll probably really impress people who don't know anything about helicopter logging.

I'll probably watch it. Maybe I'll see Slowp.:)

Oh, and I broke a tooth too. I was munching on tortilla chips while driving to another sale. Yup, everything out there is dangerous, including tortilla chips. :)

Our campground guy said maybe they should film the taking down of hazard trees. That would be excellent to watch, that is the place where the really big trees do get cut. Only thing is, they'd have to abide by the rules and might not be allowed to get close enough to film.

Cutting down those trees goes like this:

We have a little safety and procedure talk.
The guys swamp out their escape routes and clear around the tree.
I (when they are short handed) go up the road 2 big tree lengths to stop any foot or vehicle traffic.
We don't allow anybody to get past us. We hear the saws going. Wedges get driven in.
The guys stop their saws and holler before the final cut.
After the crash, we must wait until they holler that we can come near safely.

The hazard tree gig is also when we hire the guys who cut the old growth and are true artists. That would be when our guys aren't comfortable with a tree or trees.

Oh, and I broke a tooth too. I was munching on tortilla chips while driving to another sale. Yup, everything out there is dangerous, including tortilla chips. :)

Our campground guy said maybe they should film the taking down of hazard trees. That would be excellent to watch, that is the place where the really big trees do get cut. Only thing is, they'd have to abide by the rules and might not be allowed to get close enough to film.

Cutting down those trees goes like this:

We have a little safety and procedure talk.
The guys swamp out their escape routes and clear around the tree.
I (when they are short handed) go up the road 2 big tree lengths to stop any foot or vehicle traffic.
We don't allow anybody to get past us. We hear the saws going. Wedges get driven in.
The guys stop their saws and holler before the final cut.
After the crash, we must wait until they holler that we can come near safely.

The hazard tree gig is also when we hire the guys who cut the old growth and are true artists. That would be when our guys aren't comfortable with a tree or trees.

The hazard tree cutting sounds like an interesting deal. How does it pay?

Doesn't pay much for the trail guys. Their eyes got big last year when I told them they could maybe get $50/hour up the road a few miles production cutting. I'm not sure about when it is contracted. I'm thinking pretty good, and probably Davis Bacon wages.
How's that for an answer. Now, to change the subject a bit.
My neighbor just dropped off some great looking blueberries. I can't taste them yet cuz I just used toothpaste. Pie or Cobbler?

Chocolate/Blueberry cake! Hot with vanilla ice cream!

I probably shouldn't mention this....but some time ago, with an unnamed pilot for an unamed helicopter logging company...took me into a sacred place to check out possible fire/water sites.

The trout fishing from the copter was sublime!

Back