J.M. Browning's response thoughts on "Ax Men"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ry%3D320

I have to say I was excited to hear the show was coming out when I 1st head about it, I've always been fascinated by the loggers of the great NW, but after watching a few episodes and being repeatedly let down with is similarity to "Deadliest Catch". I must concur with the majority of those saying they emphasized the drama entirely too much. Deadliest Catch has its own unique niche for sure, and its a good show in its own respect, but it was a poor model to try and portray men so dedicated to harvesting a resource, and then being equally dedicated to its restoration for future generations.

Mr. Browning, I commend you on your candor to those who can truly appreciate what I believe you were trying to accomplish for the greater good of your industry. I wish you and your company the best..

Travis Grime

Doesn't pay much for the trail guys. Their eyes got big last year when I told them they could maybe get $50/hour up the road a few miles production cutting. I'm not sure about when it is contracted. I'm thinking pretty good, and probably Davis Bacon wages.
How's that for an answer. Now, to change the subject a bit.
My neighbor just dropped off some great looking blueberries. I can't taste them yet cuz I just used toothpaste. Pie or Cobbler?

Pie "or" cobbler???!!! What's this "or" stuff? I like pie "and" cobbler much better. And vanilla icecream of course. Good thing I have about the same metabolic rate as a cage full of Gerbils...otherwise I'd look like the Michelin man. :)

This is quite timely. Today, I was out looking for helicopter landings with a logger and he casually said, "Axemen called us about filming here." My heart dropped to my stomach and I replied, "No." He has since said they probably won't go for it, but I'll sure be trying to keep as low a profile as I can if they do. Maybe make a paper bag mask or something. My mama doesn't like that show, too much cussing and too much danger. She'd not like seeing me on it. I'm mad at the show because ever since it started, and I found out I'm the same age as Duane, the cutter, I feel old cuz he looks so old.

There was an obscure message about a filming company earlier, last week, wanting the phone numbers of nearby loggers to a road junction. I got that guy's permission and gave it to them. He began fantasizing about being on axemen, and even wanted a scene of me chasing him and I'd be carrying a big limb and waving it madly. I thought, yeah, that'd be real cool, two round people with bad joints on at least one leg, trying to run in the brush....I'm sure that would get the ratings up.

I would watch that at least once!!! Especially if it involved huckleberry pie and cobbler.:cheers:

I have the metabolism of a sloth. Ancestors must have been peasants and serfs. Pie is in the oven, and there are enough berries for something else very fattening. Discussed Axmen while kayaking today. HE wasn't very helpful, but She said she'd be glad to fill in for me cuz she's a hippy type and can tiedye clothes. She offered to loan me red nail polish for the show. I'm more of a pink person though. We'll see first if they show up, and second, where they are. It might could be an adventure. :popcorn:

As much as I enjoyed the show I have to agree with what you said. I think I am the only person here who enjoyed Ax Men.

Nope...I watched nearly every episode. As I posted on a previous thread dealing with the show, for me the show was a fair attempt to depict the day-to-day experiences of a logger. That said, ALL reality shows that I've seen(not many, thankfully) tend to overdramatize events. Since I have NO idea
of how timber is harvested, the show at the very least, introduced the types of equipment & techniques that are used.

My lasting impression was one of respect for the profession.

mark

Maybe it helped get the work out in the open. Yesterday morning, I drove by two boys who were out for a run (by the environmental center camp). They grinned and waved so much, I almost pulled over to see if I was dragging something.

Today, it sounds like the planned filming here will not happen. For good reason. Suffice it to say, the filmers wanted the crew to act pretty bad in a way that would really be detrimental to their image. Not dangerous, just a bad idea for the dynamics of a crew. They wanted to see arguing and such.
The logging company said no and it was the right thing to do.

The producers should have filmed us today. Nobody was speaking to anyone else at 4:30. I had to pull the HEO off the tractor and explain the facts of life. It was over 90o in the shade and there was not much shade. The result was a very #####y crew just right for Thom Beers.

Today, it sounds like the planned filming here will not happen. For good reason. Suffice it to say, the filmers wanted the crew to act pretty bad in a way that would really be detrimental to their image. Not dangerous, just a bad idea for the dynamics of a crew. They wanted to see arguing and such.

Good work slowp getting the inside scoop out to us. That is unbelievable. So much for reality tv.

Good work slowp getting the inside scoop out to us. That is unbelievable. So much for reality tv.
I always thought most of the arguing was made for TV. When they were pulling the one piece of equipment out of the ditch and the operator started with the F-ing moron comments. In reality he would probably been air lifted out on a stretcher, or packed out in a bag.
Also when Jays son Jesse pitched some of his tantrums, he would have been taking a trip to the dentist office for teeth replacement, bosses son or not. It seems that I have found, most of the guys and gals (slowp) in the logging business will put up with much BS, at least around here anyway they won't.
The show would have been much better without all of it.

Last edited:

:clap: :clap: Good for the crew! If they can't show us as we really are they should just plain leave us alone.

"reality", huh.

If they wanted reality, they would have asked permission to film, and then showed up and filmed whatever was going on without sticking their noses in.

I was lucky enough to meet some "old time" loggers from eastern Oregon years ago (about 20yrs ago now). I learned a lot about forestry from them.

Jay-

Thanks for posting. My whole family watched the show and enjoyed it very much.

I agree that it would have been great if the producers had included film of replanting and some of the regrowth.

Good luck-
Rob

Jay-

Thanks for posting. My whole family watched the show and enjoyed it very much.

I agree that it would have been great if the producers had included film of replanting and some of the regrowth.

Good luck-
Rob

Here's how the planting goes, not too exciting either. Arrive at planting site, stumble out of rig. Boys go one way, girls the other. Stumble back, start loading trees in planting bags. Dip tree roots in vermiculite/water mixture first which adds to the weight and mess. Strap on two crammed full of trees bags.
Totter out to the unit and 1. Scalp soil. 2. Slam hoedad into the ground, 3. Stick tree in BROWN SIDE DOWN, make sure roots are straight. 4. Shove dirt back in hole around tree which is BROWN SIDE DOWN, 5. Use foot to compact soil around tree (STOMP), 6. Repeat. Not too exciting. Cussing when one slams one's hoedad into a rock. Controversy, if getting paid by the tree, somebody starts burying trees instead of planting them. The ad for next week's episode on Auger Planting would show the operator madly spinning in a circle around the auger. :dizzy:

Last edited:
Here's how the planting goes, not too exciting either. Arrive at planting site, stumble out of rig. Boys go one way, girls the other. Stumble back, start loading trees in planting bags. Dip tree roots in vermiculite/water mixture first which adds to the weight and mess. Strap on two crammed full of trees bags.
Totter out to the unit and 1. Scalp soil. 2. Slam hoedad into the ground, 3. Stick tree in BROWN SIDE DOWN, make sure roots are straight. 4. Shove dirt back in hole around tree which is BROWN SIDE DOWN, 5. Use foot to compact soil around tree (STOMP), 6. Repeat. Not too exciting. Cussing when one slams one's hoedad into a rock. Controversy, if getting paid by the tree, somebody starts burying trees instead of planting them. The ad for next week's episode on Auger Planting would show the operator madly spinning in a circle around the auger. :dizzy:

Poetic slowp.

Back in my romping days I often met people on the beach in Mexico who did this sort of thing to finance their trip. Mind you this was travel on a shoestring for the adventurous at heart. Said the work really sucked but if you planted enough you could make enough to get away for awhile.

to the ones who like the show and the ones who hated it, get ready -
season 2 arrives in '09

Back