J.M. Browning's response thoughts on "Ax Men"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Jay's thoughts on the criticism J.M. Browning has received from their appearance on AxMen:

I did not make up the saying “Green Gold” or “Load Count” or dollar per load amounts. All jobs are different and we as a company could have done without the AXMEN series slogans.

When the cameras first started filming at the Military Green job, I was notching stumps and stringing haywire for the guylines. While working, I stopped to explain the process of setting up a big tower and gave reasons why we use them on these types of jobs. I also explained by using the tower how we can access timber on the steep grounds, stringing haywire with a helicopter so as not to disturb the reprod (in this case 3 thousand feet of 15 year old timber). I spent hours talking about sustainable forestry, replanting and thinning operations and about some of our salvage operations such as, the Nettle Buster, (a 3 million board foot sale I had bought and marketed); which never made the show.
Hampton Tree Farms and Oregon State Forestry spent days taking film crews out to watch their crews planting trees, seedling plantation and to visit 5 to 15 year old trees growing. Many hours were spent showing the commitment loggers and timberland owners have made to keep this renewable resource sustainable. The main reason for me doing the show was, hopefully, to help educate people across the country about the logging industry’s high respect for the land we log. I once said to the film crew, “We probably should be called stewards of the land, but we still like being called Loggers.”

We did not get paid to do the series. There were times it was a pain having 3 to 4 cameras rolling and people all over. The film crews were great people. Somewhere between LA and New York, though, something got lost. Every logging crew has some sort of drama, but the best crews I ever worked with, from Alaska to Oregon, had its share of comedians. In my experience the funniest crews were the best and the most productive.

I will state, I could do a better job of leading by example. My employees are well trained in all safety regulations. They do know better but they know I can be a rebel. Jesse is not proud of his whining. He has grown from the show. In life, like Janet Jackson, sometimes things slip out. You didn’t mean them too and wished they hadn’t, however; this can certainly stir things up. By the way, Jesse does have a brother named Jared. Both of my sons are a huge asset to this company.

After watching the show many people have expressed concerns, I agree with one thing, too much cussing! Many young people watch the show and some people are offended. This could be contained a little better; however, loggers cuss and that’s that.

All and all, I am very proud of my company. It has not been easy, I have worked hard and the most important thing to me is that I am honest. We pay as well as we can, provide benefits, and steady work. We have been doing pre-employment drug testing and random drug testing for 20 years. We are professionally logger trained, EMS certified (Environmental Management Systems) and SFI certified (Sustainable Forestry Initiative). I am very committed to this industry and my employees.

Many people have used newsletters and industry magazines to criticize my guys for doing Ax Men. Some people have taken down right cheap shots at us; I guarantee no one else in the logging industry does better. One comment made was we set the industry back 30 years. I say we have been behind the curve for a long time. I pay as high of wages as I can afford and provide good benefits. I cannot compete with Federal subsidized construction jobs. We also have other industry in our area the government has subsidized.

Our area has many good competitive professional logging companies; our labor pool shrinks every year. I have tried hard to show the plight of the gypo logger. For instance, a new log loader costs about $100,000.00 more than the same sized backhoe, yet in logging you end up running them for about half the hourly rate compared to construction. I used to replace log loaders every 3 years – now I’m going 5-6 years. They have doubled in price in the last 10 years. The same is true with log trucks. Has anybody bought a new yarder lately or want to pay my replacement costs? This is daily working capital so that I can pay FUEL.

I have respect for any logging company keeping his head above water and paying his crew and his bills. It is really too bad we can’t all work together more and rely on our politicians to push for more American lumber to be used to build projects like Habitat For Humanity. In addition, they could get retail stores to sell AMERICAN lumber products – we certainly grow enough trees.

Our industry needs this show to be more realistic and show the positive effects of logging. I would like to see the Dahlgren Logging Company be on the show. The Dahlgrens are an impressive logging family from Washington. They are my mentors. Although, because of this show, we now have 4 million people that respect us and now know a little more about our industry.

Respectfully,
Jay Browning

http://www.jmbrowningloggingandtrucking.com/press/letter.htm

One of the main reasons I never watched a single episode of the show... the tv people want drama... drama sells to the tv market...

There is no place for drama like that on the landing or in the woods period. The series was a farce to the entire logging community. Jay Brownings remarks are spot on...

I know I would not have wanted my Logging company shown on that TV show...

Gary

That was a great letter Jay wrote, and just what I expected he would say. I'd met him at the Amboy Log Show last Saturday and he told us he had written that letter to Logger's World.

He came across just like the many other loggers I've met at various log shows; great guys, proud of their work, and not wild men or fly by nighters---like some tree climbers and companies I know....

I liked watching the show but I can see how TV can twist things to make it more interesting to viewers. Same goes for Deadliest Catch,American Chopper and thers like them, TV spins them so its interesting to viewers and thats good for ratings. Its too bad Browning wasted his time on all that film that got cut out. Heres to the TV men that twisted that all up. :check:

One of the main reasons I never watched a single episode of the show... the tv people want drama... drama sells to the tv market...

There is no place for drama like that on the landing or in the woods period. The series was a farce to the entire logging community. Jay Brownings remarks are spot on...

I know I would not have wanted my Logging company shown on that TV show...

Gary

I watched quite a few episodes but there weren't many I really enjoyed from start to finish. Waaaaay too much drama and over emphasis on things that didn't really matter to the logging itself.

Do I think that Axe-Men set us back a ways? Yes I do. But I don't blame it on the loggers involved in the series. If nothing else, it should give us all a real insight into how badly the TV and other media types can screw things up.

Jay Browing and the others involved in the series were taken advantage of, their message ignored, portrayed as buffoons and land rapers, and just generally screwed over in every sense of the word. Maybe next time the glamor of TV beckons they won't be so quick to fall under it's spell.

Good post Bob...

They were trying to show truck loads of logs like ships full of crabs on Deadliest Catch. It was like they were trying to show how everybody was scrambling to get to the mills before the other guy for the money...

Crab fishin' is all about the money and numbers, and beatin' the next guy into port... Don't see too many crab fisherman "replanting" the stock so to speak...

If loggers didn't care about the land they use, and the trees they cut... there wouldn't be ANY trees left...

The crews on that show certainly were taken advantage of... It was a crappy show. Good idea... but poor execution... and not on the part of the crews portrayed either... but by the producers themselves.

Gary

Good post Bob...

They were trying to show truck loads of logs like ships full of crabs on Deadliest Catch. It was like they were trying to show how everybody was scrambling to get to the mills before the other guy for the money...

Crab fishin' is all about the money and numbers, and beatin' the next guy into port... Don't see too many crab fisherman "replanting" the stock so to speak...

If loggers didn't care about the land they use, and the trees they cut... there wouldn't be ANY trees left...

The crews on that show certainly were taken advantage of... It was a crappy show. Good idea... but poor execution... and not on the part of the crews portrayed either... but by the producers themselves.

Gary

Hmmmmmmm...........................:givebeer: :givebeer:

Very good explanation of why that series was so badly done. The other new series is more of the same and IMO even worse. I tried "Black Gold" but couldn't stomach it past the first two episodes - same old crap, over emphasis on the dangers, competition that doesn't exist, etc.

Harry K

The show has started showing in the UK were on the second episode, I must admit i have learned a bit from it so far, The yarders and carrages are interesting.
I havnt looked at any posts made before the show started so that i can judge it for myself.

I never saw a single episode after the first pilot because of this TV need for drama. Reality series turn me off. When they started in on MeterMaids in Philly and now tow truck guys, where does it all end? I spend enough time on the job and sure don't have a need too watch other people at work!
I have recently seriously thought about NOT owning a TV. Prefer to live my life off the couch actually experiancing life, not looking at it on a box. If it wasn't for sporting events and some racing I'm sure I would. I'll read more books I guess. At least that's my (imagination) interpretation.:cheers:

I never saw a single episode after the first pilot because of this TV need for drama. Reality series turn me off. When they started in on MeterMaids in Philly and now tow truck guys, where does it all end? I spend enough time on the job and sure don't have a need too watch other people at work!
I have recently seriously thought about NOT owning a TV. Prefer to live my life off the couch actually experiancing life, not looking at it on a box. If it wasn't for sporting events and some racing I'm sure I would. I'll read more books I guess. At least that's my (imagination) interpretation.:cheers:

Right on target. Why do they call them "Reality Shows", anyway?

I watched all of the episodes. I know that the History Channel could have done better then they did. I didn't like all the drama crap. It still was interesting for me to see N/W loggers at work on those mountains. I still would rather watch AXMEN then most of the the crap on TV today. I thought that the logging companies that appeared on the show were compensated for their time. They had to loose profits because of the filming. I appreciated the loggers that appeared on the show. All four companies have web sites and I went to their web sites and bought their suspenders: Stump Branch Logging, Piehl Logging and Gustophson Logging to show my support. Hope they have another AXmen season but with changes. Just my imput!

I also watched the entire series. It was the same to me if the volume was turned up or all the way down. What I liked about the show was the equipment. Seeing how it's done. The producers could have taken all the footage and made a spectacular documentary. I would've enjoyed that more.

As far as the cussing goes, we all know that it happens in the trades. I hear it at work constantly. The men in the show are not the ones who should be told to tone it down, the producers and editors should be told not to emphasize it.

I am surprised to hear the logging companies did not get paid from the TV station. Makes me think a bit differently about the companies featured.

Good post Bob...

If loggers didn't care about the land they use, and the trees they cut... there wouldn't be ANY trees left...The crews on that show certainly were taken advantage of... It was a crappy show. Good idea... but poor execution... and not on the part of the crews portrayed either... but by the producers themselves.

Gary

That's what I tell all the people who say the woods are devastated, raped, extracted, etc. I ask them, then why am I still working in them if so? Shuts them up.

The cussing was real. See my post about inefficient language. When I get sick of it, I go hang out and do girly stuff--except I fall asleep at the knitting group.

The Pihl crew was a lot like the gypo crews I see. Maybe better. I see new faces every week, or at least a rotation of guys who got out of jail, replacing guys who are in jail. One of the owners told me that he can't find good workers in this area. But I've never seen anybody do some of the stuff they showed. It would slow production too much.

There's an interview with Mike Pihl in Timber West magazine. He's anxious to sign up for another year. I find myself having to watch it, just to see how screwed up it is. The episodes got worse, and I kept easily thrown stuff away. I did notice the carriage changed during an episode. Timber West said they filmed for several weeks straight, then came back to get some needed shots. Oh well, it does at least show a little of how we get wood.

It was interesting for me at first because they all had yarder sides and I've only worked on skidder/cat jobs. It's a fact of life in logging that equipment breaks down, terrain and weather will give you fits ect. but (hopefully) things hum along nicely most of the time and that would make for some pretty boring TV. Something they could have done was pick out a tree and follow it from the stump to the log yard to show how the process works. I see where Jay Browning is coming from, taking valuable time to explain how and why things are done the way they are. I also understand that they need some drama to hold the viewers attention but the finished show has loose definition of reality. About the language and the guys on the crew, hey ther're :censored: in' loggers, what you see is what you get. I'd like to see the show come back for a second season but the TV people need to do a better job on the editing to show what is's realy like. This could be a great PR tool for the timber industry if the Hollywood types didn't take advantage of the guys in the brush. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I would like to see an "Ax Men II". I wonder if he ever caught the sob who stole lhis chain saw.

Safety

From Slowp:
"I find myself having to watch it, just to see how screwed up it is."

----------------

My wife is from a logging family and the Yoder Mill is still going. We watched it just amazed at the lack of judgment.

----------------

I don't think it set logging back 30 years, (in Oregon anyway).
I think we're gonna jump ahead about 10 years because of it.

----------

Mr. Browning lamented that they didn't tell the full forestry story.

Good Point and that was a shame.

Also a good point that was just skipped over by Mr. Browning is safety.

I think in 10 years we'll have a system that includes training, testing and certification like British Columbia went to.

AxMen will be the reason why.

-----------

This happens the world over.
There is an important news story out there.
No one pays attention.
Put it on TV and it gets attention.

This isn't real hard to figure out.

I tried to watch it, but lost interest fast.
After a lifetime in heavy construction & heavy hauling all over the Northwest.
It was a pisspoor portrayal of real life in the woods no matter where.
The most important thing in your job is to go home every night.

This is what I was getting at in this thread. http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=67114
The show did depict loggers as "fly by nights" and I definitely think it is the fault of the history ch. for not editing to maximize the intent of the show. Which imo would be to document on film the plight of the present day logger. Something to show in classrooms for kids to learn how we harvest trees to make wood for production and how we reforest to preserve the forest for future wood harvesting. Instead they made it a fricken soap opera of baggabons looking like they had nothing better to do than seek danger in the forest.
How did that piece with Gustophson and that stupid jack NOT get left on the cutting floor?
What was the point of showing the greenhorn get his stupid saw stuck in the log as many times as he did? Because it made you tune in next week to see who was going to get killed and how?
Who was that member who first posted the announcement of the first show? Bring her back and explain what the intent of going into the woods to shoot this show was all about.
And those fools didn't get PAID, WHAT?
Please don't comeback Axeholes!:chainsaw:

Please don't confuse what I have posted with calling loggers including the ones on the show with axeholes. Loggers imo deserve a hell of a lot more respect than that show gave them. Shame on you History Ch.

Back