Am I the only one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,

I probably in the same position as you. New to this site and to cutting trees. It might be midlife crisis, but it sure feels nice to be out there and do some work. Personally I feel attracted to old stuff (I'm 53) so I bought a Jonsereds 70E (30 yrs old). I like working with and on the thing. After watching some youtubes about felling, I wonder whether this will be my last saw (..... Stihl Ms880-ish)

Good luck being out there!

Steve, if we only spent money on things we need, none of us would be married. You did the right thing getting a good saw right off the bat instead of frustrating yourself with crap that will make you not want to saw when you do get the chance. I've never used a 261 but the rave reviews from people who know their stuff make me sure you will love it.

The only drawback I see is you don't have the nightmares and flashbacks of working on an old saw, trying to get it to run long enough to finish that last tree when it's getting dark and your fingers are frozen while you are standing in a snowy and/or muddy hole trying not to drop small parts for fear of never seeing them again once they hit the ground.

:msp_scared: Burrrrrrr, makes me shutter just thinking about it but it also makes me appreciate my new saw that much more!!! Sounds like maybe you have had those experiences with other equipment though so I bet you can relate.

Oh, welcome to AS and enjoy your new saw!! New guy rep sent!

Wow, alot of newbies here.
Welcome to all of ya. I feel sorry that you guys don't have a easy outlet fer yer new found addiction. I'll bet most of you own at least 3 saws each by Christmass.
Be safe & enjoy the saws. You have no idea what you've gotten yerselves into:hmm3grin2orange:

Fun

I just cut for fun and to make a little extra money. I am planning on getting a wood heater this year but can't decide whether I want a wood burning stove or a Ashley heater type.

I have a outdoor chimnea that I burn wood in but have no real need to cut wood other than I enjoy it.
And I love noise toys.............:hmm3grin2orange:

I'll bet most of you own at least 3 saws each by Christmass.

Funny you should say that..... I'm looking at a really nice 009 right now for under $100.. . .that'll make three before New Years'.

I've concluded that the more I learn about political candidates, the more I love my chainsaws.

Yup, when I first joined this site I had 3 saws and only one of them ran. Now I have 7 saws and they all run including the 2 that didn't.

If I didn't need a saw I don't think I would own one, its more out of necessity for me. I don't enjoy sharpening chains and I don't enjoy buying the parts. If there was a firewood fairy that came and turned the trees on my property into several chords of firewood each year I think I would turn my saw over to someone who needed it. Right now I am shopping for a bigger saw but only because my current one isn't cutting the mustard for some of the old growth I have around here. Do I want to drop $700 on another high maintenance tool? Nope. Old motorcycles on the other hand...

Last edited:
I think there's a general pattern here -- get into saws, then start looking for wood to cut. It's quite a curse. I'm already looking at land for a woodlot...

Thanks for all the words of welcome, guys!

It's been rather nice to learn that I'm not the 'only one' after all. :) I'm continually amazed at how the internet allows like minded folks to find each other.

Here's the next question.....

What, exactly, is a GTG? I presume it stands for 'get together'....but what goes on at one of these?

Hi Sam,

I tried to send you a PM but your inbox was full.....

Perhaps you could give me a ring. We can sort out when the best time for me to stop by the site, and how I get there. It sounds like you're relatively close to where I live. I'm in extreme southern St Louis County....right at the JB Bridge off HWY 255. From the sounds of it, you're working somewhere near Hwy 64 and Hwy 4?

Thanks again!

- Steve

(three,one,four) five,four,one - 0530

....that's 'anti-spambot' code for my phone number. :)

Do you just want to drive over and just look or cut? I will be pulling logs out tomorrow, so will not have a lot of time as I need to be sitting in a skidder all day. I might cut some trees, but I need to get them out and cut up by say Thursday, as its going to rain and I want them stacked before Friday. I call you tomorrow or text you, and get your schedule.

Sam

Do you just want to drive over and just look or cut? I will be pulling logs out tomorrow, so will not have a lot of time as I need to be sitting in a skidder all day. I might cut some trees, but I need to get them out and cut up by say Thursday, as its going to rain and I want them stacked before Friday. I call you tomorrow or text you, and get your schedule.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I'd be coming over to cut, if possible. That being said, I don't want to get in the way or slow things down. If it doesn't work out, no harm no foul. At the least, I appreciate the offer. Talk to you tomorrow.

Thanks!

- Steve

i got into saws about 2 years ago just cuz they're cool. i had no need at all for them. then i acquired about 12 of them because i'm crazy apparently. i sold some off after a while but i've recently moved to a new place with a coal/wood furnace and now i have an actual need for them. so now i think i will collect some more but this time i will be a little more selective in what i buy and what i pay.

welcome to your new addiction!!

Back